corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike finance?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike finance?
Ben-B

User status: Offline
20th May 13 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New to the whole finance thing, but Im basically looking for a toy and something I can pass my full bike license on and a Aprilia rs125 has caught my eye. Not usually a massive fan of the Aprilia's but this is one of the last 2 strokes due to emissions and one of the last white ones available in decent nick. Literally only supposed to be a hand full of white ones in the country.

But anyway looking at financing it, this is the deal theyre offering as standard:

http://www.scooters.co.uk/index.php?webpage=product_detail.php&product_id=137630&cID=19828,32846

bout mid way down the page. Hefty deposit for me atm and I want the bike now as there is alot of interest in it, this is the deal theyre offering me:

£4,170 on the Road
£200 deposit
30 months
£161.95 a month
7.34% flat rate

With a few freebies thrown in ( helmet/gloves/cbt/lock ) Is this a good deal as I have literally no idea with finance.

Finally a quick pic:

Cheers
gazza808

20th May 13 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All I can think is, that's a shit load of money for a 125.

I'd never do it personally,

Me an my mate always discuss this when we go looking at bikes who is crazy enough to spend 5k for a 125 :/
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th May 13 at 18:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're paying over 6.2k eventually. If its worth that to you, go for it.

Try a bank loan first, should be able to get one at a better rate.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben-B

20th May 13 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gazza808
All I can think is, that's a shit load of money for a 125.

I'd never do it personally,

Me an my mate always discuss this when we go looking at bikes who is crazy enough to spend 5k for a 125 :/

Understand what you mean, just looking at 2/3 year old ones now and they do hold their value reasonably well and as I said theyre stopping the 2 strokes and hoping with it being white its a bit more desirable itll help that.
taylorboosh

20th May 13 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I sold my rs125 for £1300... Shouldve bought that

It was fucking rapid, i shit you not.. If a 125 is that quick i dread to think what a 1000 is capable of. Had it around 3 months and barely used it just restored it.

Buy a second hand one
Gaz

20th May 13 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

6.2K for a 125cc, I wouldn't buy new for your first bike either on the basis that every rider has a fall or two and it would be a royal pain in the ass if you were to have an accident with 6.2K's worth of plastic.

Sorry to try and put you off this but I'd go for an older bike thats worth much less and is a good bike to chuck down the road whilst you learn.
Ben-B

20th May 13 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure Im a massive fan of the old ones but that is nice tbf.

Have heard some stories of them being stupidly quick.
taylorboosh

20th May 13 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hes speaking sense, you will want a bigger bike within months if you get into it.. That debt is crippling for a 125..

Yes it was as fast if not faster with a confident rider as a pals 182 to 60

[Edited on 20-05-2013 by taylorboosh]
Ben-B

20th May 13 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
6.2K for a 125cc, I wouldn't buy new for your first bike either on the basis that every rider has a fall or two and it would be a royal pain in the ass if you were to have an accident with 6.2K's worth of plastic.

Sorry to try and put you off this but I'd go for an older bike thats worth much less and is a good bike to chuck down the road whilst you learn.

Nah not putting me off would rather take my time with thinking about it tbh, cheers for the advice
taylorboosh

20th May 13 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy an older shape for £1000 and if it bugs you that much change to the newer plastics...
Gaz

20th May 13 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben-B
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz

Nah not putting me off would rather take my time with thinking about it tbh, cheers for the advice

also, you state that £200 is a hefty deposit but the monthly repayments are £161.95 which is only £40 shy of that deposit and you are going to pay that for just short of 3 years! I honestly wold say that you would be on a different bike in 3 years so unless you clear the debt quickly OR get a superb 2nd hand price when you come to sell it, it's going to be unsellable because it has finance attached to it and nobody will touch it.
Ben-B

20th May 13 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
quote:
Originally posted by Ben-B
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz

also, you state that £200 is a hefty deposit but the monthly repayments are £161.95 which is only £40 shy of that deposit and you are going to pay that for just short of 3 years! I honestly wold say that you would be on a different bike in 3 years so unless you clear the debt quickly OR get a superb 2nd hand price when you come to sell it, it's going to be unsellable because it has finance attached to it and nobody will touch it.

Nah not fussed about the £161.95 a month can afford that, its the deposit for the deal on their website which is near on £800 I cannot afford atm.

deal on their website seems alot more inviting, 24 month contract monthly payments of £130 and 0% interest

[Edited on 20-05-2013 by Ben-B]
taylorboosh

20th May 13 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats far better, save up?
Ben-B

20th May 13 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Thats far better, save up?

Considering it, just dont want the bike to be gone too impatient!
AlexW

20th May 13 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't buy a new 125, Don't buy it on finance, The only thing 125's are good for are as a stepping stone to a big bike.

Buy the cheapest, shittest 125 you can to get you experiance, do your tests and get a big bike.

A new 125 will be fucked within months, Engine ragged to fuck to do modern speeds, bodywork damaged from drops and crashes, and not looked after as its a 125.

Been through a 125 stage, bought a fancy faired one, it was a mistake.

Also, a 2t will need a rebuild too often.
dannymccann

20th May 13 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My rs had to be rebuilt twice in the 6 months I had it, not cheap if you can't do it yourself/don't know someone to help. It was fun and fast, but unreliable
Tomnova16
Premium Member

20th May 13 at 20:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely a credit card would be cheaper

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Daimo B

20th May 13 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£4100 on a 125cc is madness fella, honestly, do not do it.

What about a Yam for half the price? (YZF125)

4 stroke, but they are easy maintenance. There really is no point in forking out big bucks just to have the 2 stroke buzz. If you really want that, save till you have a full license, and get an Aprillia RS250 or Suzuki RGV250.

You will honestly regret it after a few months.

Get a cheap 125cc, save for the full license, get a bigger bike, and you'll look back with relief that you never spent that kinda money.

In relation, you could buy one of my Benelli Tornado's brand new with 0 miles for £6k, or a 2nd hand one for £4k. Italian exotics ftw. Or put simply, you could have a full on Jap supersport (600cc) or similar for less money than a 125cc.

Don't do it, really dont do it, pleaseeee!!!!

[Edited on 20-05-2013 by Daimo B]
Ojc

20th May 13 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't buy a new RS they are slow as shit compared to the old ones
ed

20th May 13 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Try a bank loan first, should be able to get one at a better rate.

Would think a bank loan for £4k would be pretty expensive. The good rates tend to come in at the £7k mark at the moment.
Jay

20th May 13 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had the same outlook as you, and I got bored of the 125 after about two months
ShEp

20th May 13 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a 600 and have it restriced
Graeme
Premium Member

20th May 13 at 22:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ShEp
Get a 600 and have it restriced

But would need to do test first.

I personally would save up. Get some lessons and do your test. Then evaluate what bike you want. The kit they will give with the bike will be cheap. You need to spend as much as you can on safety kit to get the best possible.
Jamie Walby

21st May 13 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finance like that on any vehicle is madness IMO.

You end up paying more than what the bike is worth (because of the interest) and its going to depreciate (obviously)

I would save and wait and buy a cheaper second hand one if you want it just to pass your test.

Also, if you are only buying it to pass your test as soon as you can buy a bigger bike you will want to buy a bigger bike but you will still have the finance to pay off......

Just my 2 cents.
DaveyLC

21st May 13 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
Finance like that on any vehicle is madness IMO.

^^ THIS..

You should only ever borrow money to buy something that will make you money in the long term. Borrowing money to buy vehicles (unless its a classic and is going up in value) is just fucking stupid.

And spending over SIX GRAND in the long term to buy a 125cc is just demented!

For that money you could pay for your Test, buy something decent AND insure it.

If you buy that RS125 on finance you are a retard.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike finance? 23 database queries in 0.0160730 seconds