corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Upgrading from an G630 for Ableton

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Upgrading from an G630 for Ableton
Matty L

User status: Offline
9th Jun 13 at 00:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey guys, i'm currently using the G630 with Ableton, here are the specs.Quite an old processor

Intel Pentium Dual Core Sandybridge G630 2.7GHz, 8GB RAM

I'm a producer and producing larger and larger projects these days, at the end of the project when i want to add other tracks, i'm getting serious CPU stuttering, Ableton stopping etc and going into not responding mode and then coming back out of it, its just generally very slow and not good for the creative process when i have alot of tracks going

So i'm thinking of upgrading soon to a better processor, i want something around the £350 mark, that is at least twice as fast

I was thinking maybe this...

Intel Core i5 3330 3GHz
8GB RAM + 2TB HDD

http://www.ebuyer.com/395308-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7873-1074

Would this be a good upgrade? I'm wondering if i will get a good speed increase using this I5, or am i better waiting and saving for a I7?

Hope someone can shed some light on this for me Thanks
Dom

9th Jun 13 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're using libraries and/or doing a lot of rendered audio work (use the RAM feature on audio tracks within Ableton) you want shed loads of RAM (ie: 16GB+) and using an SSD drive for libraries/current audio projects really helps with loading times.

Otherwise, if it's mostly plugins/VSTs then obviously CPU is important.
Although you should work in the mindset of rendering out (aka 'freezing' tracks in Ableton) VSTs instruments where ever possible as it saves on processing and stops the habit of continuously peeing about tweaking VST instruments

Tbh you could potentially upgrade your current system (G630 is 1155 socket i believe) and, if your motherboard supports it, stick an i5/i7 in there instead.
Matty L

9th Jun 13 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
If you're using libraries and/or doing a lot of rendered audio work (use the RAM feature on audio tracks within Ableton) you want shed loads of RAM (ie: 16GB+) and using an SSD drive for libraries/current audio projects really helps with loading times.

Otherwise, if it's mostly plugins/VSTs then obviously CPU is important.
Although you should work in the mindset of rendering out (aka 'freezing' tracks in Ableton) VSTs instruments where ever possible as it saves on processing and stops the habit of continuously peeing about tweaking VST instruments

Tbh you could potentially upgrade your current system (G630 is 1155 socket i believe) and, if your motherboard supports it, stick an i5/i7 in there instead.

Dom, thanks for reminding me, i forgot about the motherboard being a socket 1155 and therefore will accept I5/I7.Its not as straightforward as just a swap replacement is it? I mean, will i need to upgrade other parts? For example, i'm assuming this new I5/I7 i'm going to stick in there is going to be generating more heat? Is it an easy thing to do or am i best letting someone who's got experience do it?
Dom

9th Jun 13 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd double check your motherboard and see if it does support i5/i7 processors. If it does you'll probably need to do a BIOS upgrade but that is pretty straight forward to do.

And yes isn't difficult to change, it's just a straight swap. You just need to be careful prising off the heatsink and removing and seating the processor(s).
And your current heatsink should be adequate although if you purchase a retail processor you'll get one included; obviously you can purchase others.

Matty L

9th Jun 13 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thank Dom, very helpful cheers

New Poll