corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Wheel alignment on wheeler dealers

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wheel alignment on wheeler dealers
Edges 58

User status: Offline
18th Jun 13 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I caught the end part of wheeler dealers the other day, was the recent one with the Aston DB7. When Edd was doing the wheel alignment I noticed the car was in the air and wheels not supported by anything.. Surely this can't be an accurate way of doing the alignment can it??
SteveoBC
Premium Member

18th Jun 13 at 09:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not really, all the wheels should be on the deck and having the weight of the car to simulate on the road

some garages ask you have a full tank of fuel, some have weights put in to simulate passengers etc, if the cars up in the air surely the camber will be all over the gaff
Edges 58

18th Jun 13 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly my thoughts Steve! And with camber being out, surely toe would be miles out! Just thought it'd make an interesting topic
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Jun 13 at 09:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im sure on a different episode he had each wheel lowered onto some dishes so the suspension was under load but the wheels can still twist when stuff is adjusted.

I do recall the Aston one though and thought the same, unless they were lowering it between shots to check the impact of the settings.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
garethestate

18th Jun 13 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldnt take any notice of anything they do on the programe. Cant really believe people still watch it tbh.
Edges 58

18th Jun 13 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes Kyle, the dishes is a normal thing.. Can only imagine they lowered the car to check.. Found it weird them doing it like that!

Apart from the odd thing like this... What's wrong with wheeler dealers, Gareth?
Baskey

18th Jun 13 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by garethestate
Wouldnt take any notice of anything they do on the programe. Cant really believe people still watch it tbh.

Program is poor, mechanical stuff/parts is fairly good , that's why I watch it
garethestate

18th Jun 13 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its got Brewer in it for starters. Scripted to hell and i bet if you looked at the cars in the flesh they wouldnt be half as good as they look on the tv.
Then all that hold out yer haaaannd crap and the fake bartering.
Sorry its just not for me.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

18th Jun 13 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im in the same boat, whole program is a bit of a lash up

love it how they total it at the end making it look like they make a profit

in the real world if you had to pay someone to do all that work (and most of the time you would- especially problem investigating it would cost you a fortune)

seen some brilliant bodges over the years, 8 series BMW bumper patched back together so many plastic welds it looked like frankensteins face

and the capri where they wondered why they couldnt get the "pattern part" to fit right....hmm strange that, then trying to paint and lacquer with rattle cans and it looking total dog shit haha
Generation

18th Jun 13 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's full of shit acting, but at same time I do enjoy it! Picked up lot la sod stuff from the program too
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Jun 13 at 12:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SteveoBC
im in the same boat, whole program is a bit of a lash up

love it how they total it at the end making it look like they make a profit

in the real world if you had to pay someone to do all that work

Thats the whole point! They're constantly referencing labor costs and equipment hire costs to demonstrate that very point.

The show has come a long way since the Capri days, they've done some really interesting jobs and I think they get the balance of technical vocabulary and "idiots guide to cars" just right.

The only thing it fails at are attempts at "modified" cars. Look at the Impreza and Skyline that they've done the restorations have been brilliant though.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Edges 58

18th Jun 13 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Completely agree with that Kyle!
Ben-B

18th Jun 13 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Im sure on a different episode he had each wheel lowered onto some dishes so the suspension was under load but the wheels can still twist when stuff is adjusted.

I do recall the Aston one though and thought the same, unless they were lowering it between shots to check the impact of the settings.

Depending on the system he used that can still work, He may of jammed the steering wheel so its dead straight.
Root

18th Jun 13 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T

probably this. I've seen the episode where he uses them dishes under the wheels.

It doesn't matter what problem Ed had, his garage and tool collection is ridiculous, he has every tool ever bloody needed and he's a really good mechanic so I reckon he does it all properly, it's good to watch anyway, Mike is cheesy as, lol
andy_mk3

18th Jun 13 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds odd to me. Car should be tracked 'as driven'. Even if you lift the car in the air then drop it back down, it needs driving round the block to settle the suspension down again!
neil h

18th Jun 13 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He was only adjusting the toe, so assuming the shock travel is the same front and rear then I wouldn't have thought it would make any difference if the car is on the ground or in the air.

Tbh I can't help feel a lot of the complaints about wheeler dealers are simililar to the sort of complaints that are common in threads about Top Gear.
birchieboy

19th Jun 13 at 04:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In regards to the fact the tracking was being done in the air, I'm sure this was the episode where ed was using a bluetooth tracking equiptment which measures the values which can be 'freezed' on screen to then allow the car to be lifted up and adjusted, this allows easy access to adjustment parts while the computer still records the values as if the car is still on the deck.

Hope that made sense. Would work fine but if it were me I'd want to drive it around the block then measure it again to check the technology works lol. Which they may have done.
Edges 58

19th Jun 13 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by birchieboy
In regards to the fact the tracking was being done in the air, I'm sure this was the episode where ed was using a bluetooth tracking equiptment which measures the values which can be 'freezed' on screen to then allow the car to be lifted up and adjusted, this allows easy access to adjustment parts while the computer still records the values as if the car is still on the deck.

Hope that made sense. Would work fine but if it were me I'd want to drive it around the block then measure it again to check the technology works lol. Which they may have done.

Didn't realise they could 'freeze' the values!! Suppose that's the only way it could work and make sense! Plus being TV they could just cut certain shots out!!
Bonney

21st Jun 13 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think they should get rid of brewer and just have ed on his own buying and doing all the work then selling the car, Ed seems a top bloke too!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Wheel alignment on wheeler dealers 23 database queries in 0.0126321 seconds