corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Want to do some trackdays - Suspension advice please!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Want to do some trackdays - Suspension advice please!
stan_the_man

User status: Offline
28th Jul 13 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I plan on doing the odd track day here when the summer season starts again.

Basically i have a Corsa B GSi with VX inlet and full exhaust and is otherwise stock.

I know a bigger ARB etc will help and obviously tyres etc but i want some advice on shocks/springs for track use.

Whats people opinions?

Cheers.
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Jul 13 at 12:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tyres and brakes first.

Suspension is a factor but if you go too far with that you'll compromise how it drives on the road and get less feedback on the limit on the track.

There's no special formula - lower and stiffer - and use stuff like a rear ARB to move the steering tendency backwards, it'll be understeery as standard.
stan_the_man

28th Jul 13 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i'll fire some new discs and decent pads in. 195/50/15's of a decent brand soon too.

I dont wanna go too silly with it but at the same time i doubt i'll be driving it on the road much/at all otherwise as the cops here will be all over it if it looks too low.

Im planning on a trip to UK soon so will try and pick up some decent suspension bits then.

Whats people used that worked good?
Tiger

28th Jul 13 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stiff bushes all round, strut braces to reduce flexion.

[Edited on 28-07-2013 by Tiger]
corsadonk
Premium Member

28th Jul 13 at 14:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gaz GHA's are very good for the price, Whiteline Rear anti-roll bar since you're in OZ. Poly bushes all round, and decent wheel alignment.
tom130691
Premium Member

28th Jul 13 at 21:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spax rsx coil overs

toyo proxies

2.0L brakes,

not actualy had it on track as of yet but doing 20k on the road with this set up ive rarely experienced understeer, even being a prick with it
*CorsaCal*

29th Jul 13 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fk coilovers are good on a budget and will be fine on a 1600. As said toyo proxies t1r are my tyres of choice atm.
chris_uk
Premium Member

29th Jul 13 at 09:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your not gunna drive it on the road much / if at all get some road legal slicks, a048's, r888's, v700's even ad08's are great tyres.

Then before you do anything take it onto a track and see how it handles, when you find something you dont like take steps to reduce that effect.

Speak to neil (time attack car) and see what hes done to his.
chris_uk
Premium Member

29th Jul 13 at 09:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, just to add..

If you want a good handling car dont scrimp on suspension, dont buy cheap shitty fk coilovers.
jr

29th Jul 13 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by *CorsaCal*
Fk coilovers are good on a budget and will be fine on a 1600. As said toyo proxies t1r are my tyres of choice atm.

they really arent, worst thing ive ever had fitted to a car
jr

29th Jul 13 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what i would do is do a trackday first, even just a taster day, and learn about your car

then if you feel you need to improve the car and not yourself go along the lines of replacing the bushes that will be comming up to 20 years old, and go for a decent fixed suspension set up such a bilsteins,

trackday car doesnt = coilovers
stan_the_man

29th Jul 13 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i want to keep it simple for now.

Going to get a polybush kit and bigger front swaybar. And make sure its all in good nick before modifying anything. New balljoints and tie rod ends etc.

Slightly lower, stiffer and some decent rubber will be a good way to start i think.

Its mainly the shock/spring combo im usure of....

Bilstein? Spax? Koni? Etc etc Whats best?
chris_uk
Premium Member

29th Jul 13 at 15:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your best bet is renew the bushes etc and keep it otherwise exactly how it is.. Do some track time and then see what you need to look at.

The thing which makes you fastest on the track is track knowledge and car control, if you have both of these traits i bet you will be faster than what you think.

Go speak to niel and see what he has got, its got to be one of the best handling corsas on here.

People get too obsessed with the theory behind it all, light weight, low centre of gravity, sticky tyres, stiff suspension, rock hard arb's... Thats all good and well but if you dont start with something shit (standard) how will you ever learn how things improve (or not) your car when you do make changes.

stan_the_man

29th Jul 13 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Youre quite correct. I had a notion to do a trackday as is but im heading to UK in a couple weeks so want a little shopping list so want to pick up some bits while i'm there.
chris_uk
Premium Member

29th Jul 13 at 16:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is availability bad over there? or is the stuff just more expensive?
smcGSI16V

29th Jul 13 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For a year and a half with my GSi I went the route of

Standard
Track day
Suspension
Track day
Bushes and rear arb
Track day
Rollcage
Track day
Engine mods (Mantzel, manifold etc)
Track day
Semi slicks
Track day
New rear springs (stiffer rear sorter front)
Track day.
Used and abused for a further 2 years knowing where I could improve the car but preferred enjoying it.

That's the general sort of route I took with mine over 3 years. It may not have had £'s thrown at it but I trusted it and knew what it could do as I had seen how the car had evolved and learnt what it was capable off.

Plus I had lots of fun and that's the main part.

[Edited on 29-07-2013 by smcGSI16V]
stan_the_man

29th Jul 13 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Availability of modified parts is awful.

So far the only suspension ive seen here is a set of generic lowering springs which are ok for going lower, but no use for track. I can get a new big front swaybar by Pedders Suspension which seems quite good.

Wheels and tyres isnt a problem and will just order ebay discs and pads but a set of UK shocks and springs will help a hell of a lot.
jr

30th Jul 13 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you have whiteline over there dont you ?
Mieran

30th Jul 13 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't put a bigger front arb on it
chris_uk
Premium Member

30th Jul 13 at 12:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Remember pads are very important, so get good ones.

I can reccomend carbon lorraine cl5+'s but they are expensive.
chris_uk
Premium Member

30th Jul 13 at 12:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by smcGSI16V
For a year and a half with my GSi I went the route of

Standard
Track day
Suspension
Track day
Bushes and rear arb
Track day
Rollcage
Track day
Engine mods (Mantzel, manifold etc)
Track day
Semi slicks
Track day
New rear springs (stiffer rear sorter front)
Track day.
Used and abused for a further 2 years knowing where I could improve the car but preferred enjoying it.

That's the general sort of route I took with mine over 3 years. It may not have had £'s thrown at it but I trusted it and knew what it could do as I had seen how the car had evolved and learnt what it was capable off.

Plus I had lots of fun and that's the main part.

[Edited on 29-07-2013 by smcGSI16V]

And you will be a better driver for it aswell i bet.
Steve
Premium Member

30th Jul 13 at 12:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought the Corsa B had lotus tuned suspension
3CorsaMeal

30th Jul 13 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon they meant locust as mine was always making weird creaking noises.
Corsa_Sport21

30th Jul 13 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
I thought the Corsa B had lotus tuned suspension

Tigra was it not??

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Want to do some trackdays - Suspension advice please! 22 database queries in 0.0149570 seconds