corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Too old for a corsa track car?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Too old for a corsa track car?
johnny86
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Aug 13 at 15:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right I've got a dilemma am I too old to start a corsa road legal track car?

I'm 27 and got a £2000 budget want something fun and if breaks isn't too expensive..

I've looked at clio sports, corsas, e46 bmw.

Your opinion please guys
Corsa_Sport21

16th Aug 13 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never too old but with a £2k budget, i wouldn't be looking at Corsa's for a track car.
johnny86
Premium Member

16th Aug 13 at 15:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not?
Joey 1.6 sport

16th Aug 13 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never to old that's what I've got and I'm 27
johnny86
Premium Member

16th Aug 13 at 15:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've got a family car and I've quit Sunday football just wanted something to pass time with tbh..

And I've been offered a corsa sport for £300 so good starting base I suppose.
Dave

16th Aug 13 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by johnny86
Why not?

There are better options really. Something like a 172 is faster in a straight line and handles much better.

That's not saying you can't make a Corsa into a good track car though, you'll just have to spend more time/money on it.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

16th Aug 13 at 16:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Age doesn't matter, we used to have a couple in their fifties that brought their track Corsa to shows and track days.

With my track car I started out with my old crashed Corsa which had suspension, brakes, seats, wheels etc. then a free sport shell and engine, it still cost me 1500 quid to get it ready for track, cage, semi slicks, paint and random bits and bobs so the Corsa you've been offered is probably right for your budget. There's a big difference between a 2k car budget and a 2k ready for track budget. Although saying that you don't necessarily need everything to start out, I'd always suggest a cage after some of the stuff I've seen but the best way to build a track car is by using it then improving what doesn't feel right rather than building what sounds good when it's not necessarily better for you.
corsa120

16th Aug 13 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

clio's are a good shout but lets face it they may handle but you pay a premium for it..... least with corsa they are so so easy and cheap to work on and spend on.... I mean b-pipe in stainless for £29 from tuning.co.uk where can u beat things like this??

also if ur like me I enjoy making a worser handling car keep up with better rivals it gives me a thrill in funny kind of way.

im 30 years old and just looking for a let corsa for track use so I say never to old, only people that take the piss are the ones who don't have something themselves or are jelous that they have nothing going on in there lives.
johnny86
Premium Member

16th Aug 13 at 16:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I was gonna get a cage, 2 buckets, redtop... Bin everything else already got brakes, coilovers and wheels from an old corsa.
johnny86
Premium Member

16th Aug 13 at 16:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just been browsing eBay and its easily done for 2k then later on maybe build a let as a slow progress thing.
Simon_16v

16th Aug 13 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd go for something that is better out of the box than a Corsa with your budget
johnny86
Premium Member

16th Aug 13 at 16:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Suggestion then mate?
*CorsaCal*

16th Aug 13 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go for it mate. A corsa is not great standard but easily made good. I just showed a vw scirocco 2.0TSI up on the way home and ive got 50hp less!
Corsa_Sport21

16th Aug 13 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

P1 172 for £1k, and throw another £1k at it.

Pay more for the car and less on mods than a £300 Corsa, but it will still be quicker and more fun.
corsadonk
Premium Member

16th Aug 13 at 20:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing wrong with a Corsa really, my old ITB'd XE used to run rings round most stuff round Combe.

Clio's are pretty fragile imo.

[Edited on 16-08-2013 by corsadonk]
VegasPhil
Premium Member

16th Aug 13 at 20:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice red Nova on eBay at the moment. Have a look.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Nic Barnes

16th Aug 13 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want a corsa just do it.
JordyCarter

17th Aug 13 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

imo i think clios are shit, they look shit inside and outside. Just keep throwing money at a corsa. What about a zlet c?
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Aug 13 at 09:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£2k won't go far if you're going for dedicated track stuff. Mine is hardly top dollar but I've got £2k in bits on it and the car cost £180 by the time I'd sold some bits off it.

If you started with a £2k Clio you'd be going there with standard brakes and tyres.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

17th Aug 13 at 09:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joey 1.6 sport
Never to old that's what I've got and I'm 27

Fonz
Premium Member

17th Aug 13 at 09:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm 28, I have a Mazda MX5, and regularly on track
I bought it for £1900 but could have saved myself 50% or more of that if I just wanted it to be track car...
neil h

17th Aug 13 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JordyCarter
imo i think clios are shit, they look shit inside and outside. Just keep throwing money at a corsa. What about a zlet c?

I take it you didn't see the bit at the start where he says wanting a track car?
*CorsaCal*

17th Aug 13 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by neil h
quote:
Originally posted by JordyCarter

I take it you didn't see the bit at the start where he says wanting a track car?

Why cant you track a ZLET C? I dont know if you can get one for 2k but if you can i cant see why you cant track it?
Corsa_Sport21

17th Aug 13 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think he was more referring to his point about how the clio looks.
chrex

17th Aug 13 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just do it. People will always say there is somethin better...but if that suits your budget and you know that if it breaks you can fix it cheap and easy - do it!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Too old for a corsa track car? 23 database queries in 0.0129511 seconds