corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Car crash video - whose fault?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Car crash video - whose fault?
mattant

User status: Offline
17th Aug 13 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a debate on this on another forum, surely it's the red Corsa's fault for not looking left and right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2erf2kbJYc
Generation

17th Aug 13 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like how the music stops as the crash happens. Then kicks in again with the wiper haha.

I blame the corsa
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

17th Aug 13 at 12:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both at fault, Corsa should have looked but the other car shouldn't have been overtaking near a junction.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Aug 13 at 12:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsa at fault. Am sure road markings are meant to reflect no overtaking approaching junctions.

Onus is on Corsa to give way there are many valid reasons why traffic might be on that side of the road

[Edited on 17-08-2013 by Steve]
shaunmods
Premium Member

17th Aug 13 at 12:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsa's at fault I'd say, love watching these car crash videos!
John

17th Aug 13 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsa should have checked both ways even though not expecting traffic on his side of the road.

Other car shouldn't have been overtaking past a junction.

I wouldn't like to argue it out. Especially with that video, the traffic was all slow moving, suggesting something causing a delay ahead. In that circumstance ( from the tiny part we get to see) he shouldn't have been overtaking at all.
chris_uk
Premium Member

17th Aug 13 at 12:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hold on a minute.. the guy was on the wrong side of the road.. hes the one who is at fault..

sure the corsa could looked a little better but its not the corsas fault they crashed. how many times have you just looked right when turning left.. i bet lots.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Aug 13 at 12:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looked more like a driveway than a junction anyway.

Also I saw that coming way before the guy driving reacted I'd probably have avoided that accident tbh
John

17th Aug 13 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsa should check, overtaking is perfectly legal, although you should be watching for junctions ahead and not do it at them.

This one isn't clear cut.
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Aug 13 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Negligence by both parties - should look where you're going and shouldn't overtake approaching a junction.

Corsa is visible from 27 seconds, guy still has time to cancel but doesn't appear to attempt to slow down.
Generation

17th Aug 13 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't see any signs for a junction though? Could argue was unfamiliar with roads
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Aug 13 at 12:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And therefore not exercising sufficient caution.

Not seeing a junction is worse than seeing one and ignoring it.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Aug 13 at 12:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like a driveway imo
John

17th Aug 13 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't matter if its a driveway. If you can't be certain there is nothing a car could be coming from then you shouldn't be overtaking.
Corsa_Sport21

17th Aug 13 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsa.

On another note, who would be at fault if you were to pull out onto a 1 way street, and only look in the direction the traffic would be coming from, but were to get hit by a car driving the wrong way along the 1 way street??
AndyCorsaSport

17th Aug 13 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both at fault as they are foreign.
SVM 286

17th Aug 13 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattant
There's a debate on this on another forum, surely it's the red Corsa's fault for not looking left and right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2erf2kbJYc

Surely the man with terrible music and a broken windscreen, driving on the wrong side of the road is pretty much responsible???

That said, the Corsa driver couldn't have looked very well or he/she would have stopped in the mouth of the side road, thus avoiding at least the worst of the impact.

Insurance will no doubt go 'knock-for-knock'
Steve
Premium Member

17th Aug 13 at 15:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Doesn't matter if its a driveway. If you can't be certain there is nothing a car could be coming from then you shouldn't be overtaking.

There should be no reason you shouldn't overtake passed a driveway or a farm gate or anything like that as long as its not dangerous and done with care, as you have full right of way and expect another road user coming out of such an access to look both ways and give you your right of way, there's also nothing legal about overtaking and driveways. If this is a driveway in this video then the guy in videoing in the car is 100% not in the wrong. If it is a recognised junction then its pretty much 50/50 imo, only because its not clear that it is a junction, there are no road signs and no road markings.

Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

17th Aug 13 at 15:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Corsa.

On another note, who would be at fault if you were to pull out onto a 1 way street, and only look in the direction the traffic would be coming from, but were to get hit by a car driving the wrong way along the 1 way street??

You should still be looking both ways in case pedestrians are crossing or traffic is stopped etc. so another difficult one, one car shouldn't be there and the other should be more observant.
aaron_c20

17th Aug 13 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both at fault
Steve
Premium Member

17th Aug 13 at 15:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Corsa.

You should still be looking both ways in case pedestrians are crossing or traffic is stopped etc. so another difficult one, one car shouldn't be there and the other should be more observant.

Its not difficult at all, the car pulling out would 100% not be in the wrong, you cant use 'he should be looking because of pedestrians' defence, because he didn't hit a pedestrian he hit a car that was going down a road he shouldn't have been on and shouldn't have been expected to expect under reasonable driving duties..

That said perhaps it could be suggested he could have done more to avoid the accident with better observation but if the accident happened I cannot see how he could have any blame whatsoever

Corsa_Sport21

17th Aug 13 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You see, i feel this is the same sort of scenario in a way.

End of the day, the car over-taking was on the wrong side of the road, he hit the on coming traffic. He's not in the wrong for over-taking, but he should be the 1 to do it safely and be prepared for the unexpected. He was the 1 taking the risk on the "wrong" side of the road.

Also not sure why i put Corsa was in the wrong, meant the car videoing.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Aug 13 at 15:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People who think it's wrong because he was on the wrong side of the road are also wrong. He has some blame if it's a junction because you aren't meant to overtake past junctions.

Being on the wrong side of the road on its own isn't anything to do with it. You are legally allowed to overtake you are also legally expected to give way at a junction.

As I said previously there are valid reasons traffic would be on that side of the road. What if a car had broken down 100yards before. Traffic would quite rightly be going past the obstruction on that side of the road. The turning car should check both ways for that reason as he would be required to give way as that road has priority
John

17th Aug 13 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
quote:
Originally posted by John

There should be no reason you shouldn't overtake passed a driveway or a farm gate or anything like that as long as its not dangerous and done with care, as you have full right of way and expect another road user coming out of such an access to look both ways and give you your right of way, there's also nothing legal about overtaking and driveways. If this is a driveway in this video then the guy in videoing in the car is 100% not in the wrong. If it is a recognised junction then its pretty much 50/50 imo, only because its not clear that it is a junction, there are no road signs and no road markings.

I agree that it's fine to overtake past a driveway etc if it's done with care.

If a car/tractor/animal/whatever pulls out on you, you weren't driving with care.

Unless you can see it's perfectly clear, you shouldn't perform the manoeuvre.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Aug 13 at 15:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The biggest fail of all for me is how he let that accident happen, if it was me Id have been hovering over the brakes as soon as I saw the corsa in the first place, I see such bad observation on a daily basis I would have expected them to pull out.

I would have had countless accidents by now if I hadn't taken proactive evasive action because idiots driving like there is nothing around them.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Car crash video - whose fault? 22 database queries in 0.0137041 seconds