corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » timing chain problems i heard

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author timing chain problems i heard
Jed D

User status: Offline
2nd Sep 13 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2.2's are shite, so i heard
3CorsaMeal

2nd Sep 13 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably breaks most outings, thats the theme with high powered none supercars.

as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike
Jed D

2nd Sep 13 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

still the worlds fastest 4 pot engine, and still on a standard crank
AndyCorsaSport

2nd Sep 13 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're a standard crank.
Jed D

2nd Sep 13 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

says the pug man
Corsa_Sport21

2nd Sep 13 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could have at least posted a standard engine in standard guise to back up your point.

As it is, your point couldn't be any more irrelevant.
Jed D

2nd Sep 13 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok
Robin
Premium Member

2nd Sep 13 at 15:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a FWD car so it is not the worlds fastest 4 pot. Chris Rado/World Racing's Scion is the worlds fastest FWD car and is a 4 pot. The fastest 4 pot is a Mitsubishi Eclipse.
3CorsaMeal

2nd Sep 13 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car is pretty fast. Scares me sometimes.
AndyCorsaSport

2nd Sep 13 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jed D
says the pug man

I don't have a pug.
SVM 286

4th Sep 13 at 03:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1176334_160116554185219_1739550026_n.jpg

What the HELL, is, or was, that^^^ ?

SVM 286

4th Sep 13 at 03:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal

as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike

I shall attempt to remember this and use it as often as possible.
davegreen
Premium Member

4th Sep 13 at 05:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[img]http://[/img]

almost standard engine!
their like any other engine, poor maintenance and operation will cause faults. if they where that bad gm wouldn't keep using them. this family of engines has been used longer than the xev/zlet/r family which has now been dropped for the all ally lump 2.0 turbo in the latest astra's and insignia's.
Jed D

4th Sep 13 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the future engine of choice if your wanting to go FAST...
forget about your Clet's

looks up the Chevrolet cobalt's (aka the mk4 astra coupe as we know it) and look what the yanks do with these engines...

the future

charged one

[Edited on 04-09-2013 by Jed D]
Corsa_Sport21

4th Sep 13 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not the engine of choice sadly and won't be in the future. If anything, it will be big power Saab engine's.

People have been supercharging the Z22 for years, its not going to all of a sudden take off.

Its not a cheap bolt on conversion.

The Chevrolet Cobalt SS isn't the Mk4 Coupe as we know it. Nothing like it actually.
davegreen
Premium Member

4th Sep 13 at 19:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

super chargers can be had and fitted for around 2k these days. its the same engine as used in saabs in recent years as a turbo and producing into the 600bhp band. also been used for many years in racing circles, favoured over the zlet engine.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

4th Sep 13 at 20:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just googled chevrolet cobalt

cant believe how identical they are
Ronson

5th Sep 13 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Its not the engine of choice sadly and won't be in the future. If anything, it will be big power Saab engine's.

B204 and B234 have the same gearbox bolt pattern as a C20XE/LET, B204 also uses the same injectors as the LET, you may be surprised to know they're both owned by GM and use pretty much the same engines.

quote:
People have been supercharging the Z22 for years, its not going to all of a sudden take off.

It already has taken off, mainly in the states but they're getting built over here now too

Its not a cheap bolt on conversion.

Cheaper than building a 20XE/LET of the same power.

quote:
The Chevrolet Cobalt SS isn't the Mk4 Coupe as we know it. Nothing like it actually.

Yes it is, there are visual differences obviously but they are the same underneath, just like the Saab 93 and 95 is based on a Vectra.
Corsa_Sport21

5th Sep 13 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes but my point being it will be the Saab variant that's used in turbocharged form. As in ripped out the Saab, and bolted into a Vauxhall.

They have been building them over here for years too. Not big power on the same scale as the LET etc. Even over on a UK forum solely made for Z22 info etc, there isn't a mega amount of charged 2.2s. Link me up to some big build 2.2s if you get a minute.

What power does a basic bolt on charged 2.2 make?? Around 210-220bhp?? An LET with a chip set make's more than that so pound for pound, no, its not cheaper.

Fair play, never knew it was the same platform.
Ronson

5th Sep 13 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Yes but my point being it will be the Saab variant that's used in turbocharged form. As in ripped out the Saab, and bolted into a Vauxhall.

Possibly yeah, the Saab engine is definitely a popular choice but in my opinion its only the popular choice because LET's got tired and someone fancied a change built one shared it on a forum/word got round and people started copying just like it did with XE/LET Nova's all them years ago.

Give it a few years and the Z22 will be the new LET when people realise just how far they can go with mostly standard internals (although I do beleive the B204 can go to 550BHP on standard pistons but I've never put this to the test)

quote:
They have been building them over here for years too. Not big power on the same scale as the LET etc. Even over on a UK forum solely made for Z22 info etc, there isn't a mega amount of charged 2.2s. Link me up to some big build 2.2s if you get a minute.

People are very secretive these days when they're spending a lot of money on an engine so there are no build threads that I know of for big power UK z22's.

quote:
What power does a basic bolt on charged 2.2 make?? Around 210-220bhp?? An LET with a chip set make's more than that so pound for pound, no, its not cheaper.

You're talking about a standard engine vs a one with an upgrade. I think the book figure is 220 for a Z22. A standard let is, for arguments sake lets say 205 as I've heard people say everything from 200-210, you put that chip set on it and say it makes 230, you put a chip set on the Z22 and in theory as it started with more power the chip set would take it past the power of the LET with the same type of chip set.

[Edited on 05-09-2013 by Ronson]
Corsa_Sport21

6th Sep 13 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My point about the "cheap bolt on conversion" comment is in relation to Jed saying how easy they are to supercharge. Yeah, its easy, parts are readily available, but they will cost you around £2k. Throw that £2k at an LET and you will be well over 300bhp. So no, its not cheaper to charge a Z22 and have more power than an LET.
Ronson

6th Sep 13 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you put it like that I see your point on.
davegreen
Premium Member

6th Sep 13 at 20:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the 2L turbo version of this engine from the astra GTC can be had for around 2.5k now and in standard form its 280bhp.
could well be the future engine of choice for conversions and big Vauxhall 4cylinder power????
Sean

8th Sep 13 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just got a 2.2 Sri vectra and it seems so slow!
davegreen
Premium Member

8th Sep 13 at 19:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sean
I've just got a 2.2 Sri vectra and it seems so slow!

mine was ok as standard, they don't like 95ron fuel, better mpg's and driveability on 99. few simple mods like removing the pre cat and a panel filter help to. covered 140k of trouble free motoring in the 11years I had her, now the engine lives on in the corsa C.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » timing chain problems i heard 22 database queries in 0.0133438 seconds