corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Motor vehicle courses.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Motor vehicle courses.
Walshyposse

User status: Offline
15th Sep 13 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alright everyone, having a bit of trouble finding a part time course due to being in full time employment.
I do not work in the motor trade but I am interested in learning at college about vehicle maintenance and repair.
The only courses I can find are full time, or the part time courses are not the specific course I am after.
For example there is a part time course that just involves maintenance and repair principles.

Can anybody help me on this as somebody must have been in the same boat as me in the past. I am based in the north west so a place in Wigan, southport, Blackburn, Liverpool etc would be ideal. I know it's a bit late to start now but I am looking for either next year or before if possible. Evening or weekends only.
flybikeslee

16th Sep 13 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

buy a haynes manual, buy a car/ bits of a car and learn from there
fred7

16th Sep 13 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How old r u? to get certs needs to be full time i think or become apprentice so can earn and learn
JordyCarter

16th Sep 13 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your going to college id do something other than vehicle mechanic. Engineer, Electric etc
Walshyposse

16th Sep 13 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by flybikeslee

Haha thanks mate, I do own these but want to take it a little further.
Walshyposse

16th Sep 13 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fred7
How old r u? to get certs needs to be full time i think or become apprentice so can earn and learn

I'm 24 mate, thanks for the reply.
Walshyposse

16th Sep 13 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JordyCarter
If your going to college id do something other than vehicle mechanic. Engineer, Electric etc

Thanks for the reply mate, I am an electrical engineer, just want to take this further just for hobby/diy and family really.
It's a shame I can't do much without it having to be full time. Been in the same job since 16 year old.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

16th Sep 13 at 19:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Walshyposse
quote:

He wasn't taking the piss. Just do bits on your own car. It's easier these days with forums and youtube IMO. A lot of us on here learnt by working on our own cars, using helpzone and asking questions when stuck, and we aren't in the trade

Things like oil changes, brake pads/discs, servicing etc are easy enough to buy the bits and use a Haynes Manual for maintenance.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Edges 58

16th Sep 13 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm interested in this! Did levels one and two in my teen years. Then did full time employment and now want to get level 3 done.. Just need to work around a full time job so if anyone does know of a suitable course????
Walshyposse

16th Sep 13 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
quote:
quote:

He wasn't taking the piss. Just do bits on your own car. It's easier these days with forums and youtube IMO. A lot of us on here learnt by working on our own cars, using helpzone and asking questions when stuck, and we aren't in the trade

Things like oil changes, brake pads/discs, servicing etc are easy enough to buy the bits and use a Haynes Manual for maintenance.

No I know he wasn't, Haynes is essential mate
I really want to fully understand engine components and replacing worn items really, I am learning slowly on my own car but want to do something at college to progress a little quicker.
Agreed though mate Haynes has helped me through a few minor things like oil change, discs pads etc.
Cheers pal.
Walshyposse

16th Sep 13 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Edges 58
I'm interested in this! Did levels one and two in my teen years. Then did full time employment and now want to get level 3 done.. Just need to work around a full time job so if anyone does know of a suitable course????

Pain in the arse trying to do something whilst full time working, think colleges and training etc are more doley friendly than someone who actually wants to do something with their life.
(not aimed at anyone in particular, just in general.)
SVM 286

16th Sep 13 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Alright everyone, having a bit of trouble finding a part time course due to being in full time employment.
I do not work in the motor trade but I am interested in learning at college about vehicle maintenance and repair.
The only courses I can find are full time, or the part time courses are not the specific course I am after.
For example there is a part time course that just involves maintenance and repair principles.

Can anybody help me on this as somebody must have been in the same boat as me in the past. I am based in the north west so a place in Wigan, southport, Blackburn, Liverpool etc would be ideal. I know it's a bit late to start now but I am looking for either next year or before if possible. Evening or weekends only.

What were you hoping to learn or gain experience in specifically Walshy?
Walshyposse

17th Sep 13 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
quote:

What were you hoping to learn or gain experience in specifically Walshy?

Basically I want to go over the basics, I'm ok with the basics but it's not going to hurt going over them, mainly want to concentrate more on engine specifically mate.
SVM 286

17th Sep 13 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are there any evening classes at your local colleges?

A few years after I completed my apprenticeship, I tried a metalwork and welding course at my old college.

Sadly it was a bit too basic and hobbyist styled, so I stopped attending (I wanted to learn serious welding and not just basic stuff). But there must be similar courses for various areas of vehicle technology still surely?

Have you tried checking with your citizens advice or local library?

If you could get a day off work per week, you could do an apprentice course and select the craft course rather than the tech course, if it's still available (so as to get more practical teaching and not just theory, science and maths etc). You would be starting in a room of 16-20 year olds though.

It would take you 3 or 4 years to complete it also.
Walshyposse

17th Sep 13 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Day off work a week is impossible! Like you say mate there are evening classes for welding and mechanical engineering etc, but nothing for vehicle mechanics.
I have found a distance learning course with ICS which I'm going to do, it's motor vehicle maintenance and repair course but it's just computer based with no practical skills involved. I thought it might teach me a few things and I can do any practice on my own car which is exactly why I bought it.
SVM 286

18th Sep 13 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good point.

It seems bloody ridiculous that no where does, say a six month, or a year course for example, for a Saturday, or an evening or two a week, to cover the fundamentals of basic repair. For older cars and classic cars etc.

Seems someone's missing a chance. There must be a market for it. Maybe there isn't the funding, or just too few people to sign up.
Gary
Premium Member

18th Sep 13 at 09:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Good point.

It seems bloody ridiculous that no where does, say a six month, or a year course for example, for a Saturday, or an evening or two a week, to cover the fundamentals of basic repair. For older cars and classic cars etc.

Seems someone's missing a chance. There must be a market for it. Maybe there isn't the funding, or just too few people to sign up.

Easy. Go find a back street old skool garage and ask to help out on a saturday for free. I can see most jumping at the chance of a helping hand.
SVM 286

18th Sep 13 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Def worth an ask Gaz
SVM 286

18th Sep 13 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Master of tea making, floor sweeping and bin emptying, inside of five weeks
Gary
Premium Member

18th Sep 13 at 09:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its foundation skills like that what get you through life
Walshyposse

18th Sep 13 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
quote:
Good point.

Easy. Go find a back street old skool garage and ask to help out on a saturday for free. I can see most jumping at the chance of a helping hand.

Didn't even think of doing that mate! Nice one.
Although your probably right it would be brushing up and tea boy haha.
I can do that in my own garage lol, fair point though mate it's worth an ask just for a bit of learning I'm sure somebody would be glad of a hand for free.
Walshyposse

18th Sep 13 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary

Its foundation skills like that what get you through life

this is true!
SVM 286

18th Sep 13 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Motor vehicle courses. 23 database queries in 0.0135012 seconds