corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Bike Day - Went to Portimao in Portugal

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike Day - Went to Portimao in Portugal
Daimo B

User status: Offline
   22nd Sep 13 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Done my first Euro bike trackday. One of my friends had to pull out so I went it alone, shared a room with a stranger (luckily ended up being a nice bloke). Bloody hot and sunny bar 1 wet nasty day. Still went out though, just at a lot slower pace.

Entered an endurance race. Most people were on 1000cc's, and with a 1km straight, and modern 600ccs flying past, i had to work really hard.

Top rider from each teams time got to start. I got the fastest lap in my team, qualified 13th/25 teams. WELL happy with my time. 1st place was 10 secs off outright WSB record (and a Portugal Superbike champ :S ), and I was only 8 secs off him, with half the power, more weight, 400cc less

Queued up for the race, nerves building. 2 pace laps, then go. But, a chap on a Ducati had loads of fuel splash over his face and we lost the gap to the first 8 or so bikes (not that we would keep up lol). However, green flag and we were off. It was HARD work, we gained a place or two, and I done my stint and came in. Team mate shot out and done his session and we hung around 11/12th. Now I cant remember how this all panned out, but during 2.5hrs, poor team mate had a few issues and un-expected stops, but we had got up to a consistent 10th. We dropped a few places due to a good 5 minutes+ pit stops. Where Steve had to come in (not his fault) I was out of leathers, so had to kit up, helmet, gloves, warmers off tyres etc etc so we lost quite a bit of time. Each time though they got the bike fixed during my stint, but he was doing 15 minutes sessions, I ran 25-30 min.

Then it was my bikes time, I think I boiled the brake fluid, and the front wheel really seized up, but we only had 20 minutes left. Then someone offered the use of his GSXR1000 with lots of goodies on it to finish the race. So I kitted up and went out. Literally 30 secs after I went out, the red flag came out, someones bike was in the middle of the track. The poor owner of this GSXR I hear pooped himself nearly lol. However, I came into the pits and the colour returned to his face . We queued up, and a few minutes later we were out again. Where we were bunched up there were a lot more bikes around. Now this GSXR1000 was a "bit" faster than my 13 year old CBR600FX with carbs (100bhp Vs 200bhp) I'd not ridden a 1000cc in a few years so took it very gentle on the corners and applying throttle. On the straights, pinned it. With the right gearing, mods etc, they really are rocketships. I know midway down the straights I saw 170, and carried it hard on for a good few more seconds (concentrating on my braking point, which approached a little bit faster lol). Brakes were good, bike was faster, quickshifter was mega (another 1st for me, I want one lol), but the suspension wasn't like mine and was setup different so it bounced and wallowed round the bends. Plus the extra weight, but I got round and we finished in 15th out of 25. Was well chuffed and done consistent lap times the whole race. The temptation to go racing next year is much greater now I get off the bike and feel like collapsing due to exhaustion.

Done vids, but I'll just post one from the first day. Prob going around in 2.08-10sec region. My race pace was 2.05 every lap pretty much, and my qualifying as 2.03.5 SOOOO pleased with the time with the bike I was on

Its me on mine for half a lap, then goes onto a Yam R1 playing chase for a few laps. I could carry so much more corner speed, but when we got to anything uphill or straight, BOOOM they would go past

Oh, Portimao is MEGA. Makes Brands Hatch look like a flat surface. But bloody hell Portugal is poor, really really poor. Amazing given how close they are to the UK.

CBR600FX Vs Yamaha R1

The other vids I've uploaded probably won't interest you, but the rear shots show how up/down it is. Even the front shot, you can't see half the corners as they are round blind crests or something. One of the best tracks in Europe IMO. Bit of everything.

Bikey vids n shizzle

Postives, suspension is bang on, rebound, preload, stiffness, all sorted and it carries fantastic corner speed. Weather, free beer + food, and got to dribble over last years Moto2 bikes (owner used to own FJR Chassis, Moto2 manufacture). £10k external gas forks, £75k+ of bike, the ultimate track bike.

Negatives, fuel. As mine ran such high revs, i was doing £60 of fuel a day . Brakes seized, errrr thats it. Fantastic time.

[Edited on 22-09-2013 by Daimo B]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

23rd Sep 13 at 10:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought i'd give you a response as your last bike thread failed....

So nice. Well done

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=658372
richc

23rd Sep 13 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

@ 9.10
Daimo B

23rd Sep 13 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VRS, I don't crave replies, people can choose to view or not

Rich, catch them up quite quick That was my normal braking area. Loose out a few seconds down the straight, make it back on the 1st corner
richc

24th Sep 13 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use to do a similar thing on my old FZR 400. Go out with the big boys and you just go backwards on the straights, so use to do stuff like that. Just reminded me of when I did it and my mate decided to turn off and I about rammed him In your head your like 'Wooooooo' and lock your arms up, then there is a sigh of relief when you dont hit them.
jrdn7

24th Sep 13 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair play mate, seems you enjoyed yourself! Portimao is some track, me & my Uncle heading there next year, him on his GSXR 1000 & me on a 125 Aprilia, I'm gonna get raped.

How did you go about getting your own bike out there?
Daimo B

25th Sep 13 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha, yeah, most bikes there were 1000cc, and tbh some people really didn't like it that they couldn't ride and would get overtake by such an old slow bike. Thats what makes it fun, although I really do need some more power.

Jrdn, you will LOVE it. Take your longest gearing, on a 125cc you will really struggle down the straight, but you can carry so much corner speed and the surface is really good quality (not like this UK tarmac shite). On yours, just keep the throttle pinned open every-where. The 2 fast left handers on mine were nearly flat out, so should be wide open for you.

Good facilities, toilets in every pit, power (although tbh you don't really need warmers if its a hot day), restaurant.

Who you going with?

I went with HotTrax as they had a mega deal, £650, hotel, food n drink, 4 days on track, bike transport. I reckon in total I've spent about £1200 inc fuel, flights, insurance, airport parking, tyre swaps etc.
jimmy 2.1

25th Sep 13 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When are you next out or is that it for this year?
jrdn7

25th Sep 13 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B
Jrdn, you will LOVE it. Take your longest gearing, on a 125cc you will really struggle down the straight, but you can carry so much corner speed and the surface is really good quality (not like this UK tarmac shite). On yours, just keep the throttle pinned open every-where. The 2 fast left handers on mine were nearly flat out, so should be wide open for you.

Good facilities, toilets in every pit, power (although tbh you don't really need warmers if its a hot day), restaurant.

Who you going with?

I went with HotTrax as they had a mega deal, £650, hotel, food n drink, 4 days on track, bike transport. I reckon in total I've spent about £1200 inc fuel, flights, insurance, airport parking, tyre swaps etc.

If all goes to plan with university I'll be heading out with my Uncle in August maybe, not sure with what company tho. £1200 isn't a bad deal overall at all! Wonder would my other Uncle let me out on his KTM RC8 1190R?
Daimo B

26th Sep 13 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jimmy, think thats it for the year, was gonna do more but the poor bike hard a hard time in Porti, so going to take it apart, get some new paint, a service, replace brake fluid etc. Want to reverse the gearbox and look at a quickshifter price. Also going to get the valve clearances/timing chain checked. I got a load in at the start of the year, Brands, now Porti. Missed a lot of the summer though due to holidays/work etc.

jrdn, Uni? Nice, are they hiring the whole circuit, or going with a TD company? Im sure he'll let you out, its such a wide safe track, with plenty of concrete run-off should you go wide anyway.
jrdn7

26th Sep 13 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B
Jimmy, think thats it for the year, was gonna do more but the poor bike hard a hard time in Porti, so going to take it apart, get some new paint, a service, replace brake fluid etc. Want to reverse the gearbox and look at a quickshifter price. Also going to get the valve clearances/timing chain checked. I got a load in at the start of the year, Brands, now Porti. Missed a lot of the summer though due to holidays/work etc.

jrdn, Uni? Nice, are they hiring the whole circuit, or going with a TD company? Im sure he'll let you out, its such a wide safe track, with plenty of concrete run-off should you go wide anyway.

Yeah starting uni next September, not gonna see much change from £20k over the next 4 years! I'm not entirely sure, he's meant to be organising it cause he's been over to Spain & the likes before. Think HotTrax was mentioned tho!
Daimo B

29th Sep 13 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats who I went with, but you've got Focussed Events and No Limits, but the circuit can be hired. Unlike the UK where the circuit cost is high (as demand for racing/trackdays due to noise contract regs), Europe is cheap, and has lots of days to rent the circuit out as demand is low.

Portimao isn't very good to go to, and as I say, the area seems really poor, but my f**king god its a great track. Its got everything, slow and fast corners, blind entries, dips, crests of hills (wheelies were easy, its keeping the front end down over it ), and a huge straight if your into that. You'll love it.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Bike Day - Went to Portimao in Portugal 22 database queries in 0.0128281 seconds