corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Selling a car with no tax

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Selling a car with no tax
Jakey
Premium Member

User status: Offline
30th Sep 13 at 16:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The tax runs out on a car I'm selling today. Blokes just rang me and said he'll come and collect the car and drive it back to Bristol with no tax.

As soon as he signs the logbook I can't be done or anything?
lozarus

30th Sep 13 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, sign it over and forget.
Corsa_Sport21

30th Sep 13 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not your problem once he takes the car.

Will be a bit of a pain for him if he gets stopped and the car impounded. Will mount up to about 2 weeks worth of daily charges.
Jakey
Premium Member

30th Sep 13 at 17:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one. Long old drive with no tax.
Corsa_Sport21

30th Sep 13 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much is the tax for 6 months??
Jakey
Premium Member

30th Sep 13 at 17:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£125ish i think.
corsajay88

30th Sep 13 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Not your problem once he takes the car.

Will be a bit of a pain for him if he gets stopped and the car impounded. Will mount up to about 2 weeks worth of daily charges.

Can get the car back with just the green slip and driving license.not that he should drive it but one of mine got impounded and got it back the same day with these documents. Also £160 surety
Corsa_Sport21

30th Sep 13 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really?? Would have thought they would need to see the full V5.
Anty
Premium Member

30th Sep 13 at 20:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get him to pay for the tax, extra cost..
Jakey
Premium Member

1st Oct 13 at 21:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He doesn't want too, cars staying off the road for a couple months. Not to mention it won't be insured either.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

1st Oct 13 at 21:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not your problem once it's signed over. Most people just go to the post office and tax it with the slip...

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
davegreen
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 05:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fill in the mileage and post the v5 off yourself as soon as he's payed for the car not your problem then, and you know its sent incase hes a dick if he got stoped.
DaveyLC

2nd Oct 13 at 07:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you sell him the car WITHOUT TAX it IS your problem.. If you sell him the car with tax that runs out tomorrow say then its HIS problem
Jed D

2nd Oct 13 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i sold an undeclared 1.8 conversion corsa b to a young lad, he took it away with no insurance at all and even though he only lived 15mins away, i got a phone call about 1 hour later from him kicking off because he's had it took off him for no insurance. yeah i feel for the lad but not my problem haha
eventually he got it back from the impound and shortly after it was crashed
John

2nd Oct 13 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
If you sell him the car WITHOUT TAX it IS your problem.. If you sell him the car with tax that runs out tomorrow say then its HIS problem

Why?
RichR
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 08:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you knowingly watch him drive off with no tax and hence no insurance, are you not legally culpable on the basis of allowing a crime to be committed?
pow
Premium Member

2nd Oct 13 at 08:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely it's his reponsibility
DaveyLC

2nd Oct 13 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
If you knowingly watch him drive off with no tax and hence no insurance, are you not legally culpable on the basis of allowing a crime to be committed?

Its not even that complicated.. While the car is yours you are responsible for it being taxed, these days even if its a day over and you haven't SORN'd it you are liable for that 'new month' plus a nice fine
John

2nd Oct 13 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's different from the issue here tbh.
DaveyLC

2nd Oct 13 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No its not.. You are responsible for either Taxing the car or Declaring it SORN while its in your ownership.. If you go even one day without tax/sorn you are liable for a fine.. Simples.
flybikeslee

2nd Oct 13 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sell it, report him for giggles
John

2nd Oct 13 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
No its not.. You are responsible for either Taxing the car or Declaring it SORN while its in your ownership.. If you go even one day without tax/sorn you are liable for a fine.. Simples.

That's fine.

If the police stop him when he's driving down though it'll be absolutely nothing to do with Jakey. I also bet he doesn't get a fine after 1 day.
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Oct 13 at 10:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

He'll have sold it by then surely?

When does his ownership cease? As soon as the log book is signed? I think it would be difficult to suggest ownership remains with him until the log book comes back, or else everyone would spend the first two weeks owning a car speeding everywhere.
belton

2nd Oct 13 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i sold my pulsar two weeks ago the idiot that bought it drove with it home with no MOT TAX or Insurance, it was declared SORN'd however. On the receipt & the log book i wrote the time/date it was sold, figured that would be fine if anything came my way after
Oh and sent the log book first class recorded!
DaveyLC

2nd Oct 13 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

He'll have sold it by then surely?

When does his ownership cease? As soon as the log book is signed? I think it would be difficult to suggest ownership remains with him until the log book comes back, or else everyone would spend the first two weeks owning a car speeding everywhere.

As soon as money changes hands that's what receipts are for.. The log book is not proof of ownership

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Selling a car with no tax 23 database queries in 0.0120881 seconds