corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Battery charging

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Battery charging
dannymccann

User status: Offline
5th Oct 13 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Specifically on my motorbike. I've started a new job so am using it everyday and it starts everytime but sometimes it sounds like it's struggling, especially if it's a cold (ambient temp) start. I know it takes more power to start when cold but occasionally it will pop from the exhaust, and I'm not kidding it sounds like one of those farmer's bird scarer things, not great to be waking neighbours up at 6am!

I figured it would be the battery not providing enough CCA, possibly through lack of charge, therefore incomplete combustion = pop and bang, or am I totally wrong? I know nothing of this, its mainly Google searching Im running from.

Anyway, with that theory in mind I've bought a battery charger to give it a good charge out the bike, pics below. I've got it all hooked up OK, but it keeps making a high pitched squeel / squeak noise every minute or so, I'm worried that the battery will be damaged / damage my kitchen.

Have I bought a charger that's too powerful or not the right thing? The box said it was for 12v motorbike batteries

Bonney

5th Oct 13 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get an optimate battery charger. I have one for mine when I leave it over winter.

On another note that sounds like dirty or worn spark plugs, give them a clean one go from there!
John

5th Oct 13 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it a 12v battery? Can't see from that pic but are they not normally 6v.
dannymccann

5th Oct 13 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I walked passed it in the shop and saw it does car and motorbikes so I just stuck it through the till to give it a go. I didnt even think of spark plugs, as I used to drive a diesel daily so never bothered with them! I've had the bike nearly a year and I dont know when they were last changed, might just get them done anyway and see if it fixes it, shouldnt be expensive, I'll get some NGK ones

edit - John, I'm sure it is, Ive had my meter on it before now to check the idle voltage etc, Ill just finding my meter to check again but as usual my wife has moved my stuff somewhere 'safe' = lost in the loft somewhere

edit 2: found it, as long as Ive got it set up right...:

[Edited on 05-10-2013 by dannymccann]

[Edited on 05-10-2013 by dannymccann]
Dave

5th Oct 13 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Save yourself a job, it's a 12v battery.
mazdaspeed

6th Oct 13 at 08:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The battery says on it,
Charging method:
Standard 0.9A for 5-10 hours
Quick 4A for 1 hour.

You've got a 6A charger there so it may be too powerful. My motorbike charger is 1.5A.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Battery charging 22 database queries in 0.0101101 seconds