corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » ann odd one regarding hdd's and ssd's in macs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ann odd one regarding hdd's and ssd's in macs
LeeM

User status: Offline
22nd Oct 13 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys, my macbook is set up with an ssd in place of the original drive and an hdd in place of the dvd drive.

it gave up the other day so i took out the ssd and tried an hdd which was recognised in disk utility and i could reformat and install osx, didnt bother because the hdd is under warranty.
before i sent it back i thought id try a bit of data recovery so i plugged it in via usb lead to another computer and everything was there so i plugged it back into my macbook and it booted straight away.

any ideas?
Balling
Premium Member

22nd Oct 13 at 09:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So everything works now?

[Edited on 22-10-2013 by Balling]

LeeM

22nd Oct 13 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, the ssd doesn't work if I plug it in using the sata cable on the main board but another hdd has worked plugged in there, and the ssd works over usb
Balling
Premium Member

22nd Oct 13 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well if the SSD is readable but not bootable, isn't it a simple case of reformatting it?

Dom

22nd Oct 13 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SSD has a USB socket? Or are you using a SATA-USB bridge type adaptor?

I'd try the SSD in another system via SATA and see where you get.
LeeM

22nd Oct 13 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Well if the SSD is readable but not bootable, isn't it a simple case of reformatting it?

no its bootable, i just can only boot off it if i plug it in using a usb cable. if i plug it in to the motherboard via sata cable like its supposed to be its not readable, but another hdd i tried in there was.
LeeM

12th Nov 13 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

plugged the problematic ssd into the other sata port on the motherboard, same problem. so basically the SSD will only work via usb, not plugged in to the motherboard at all.
when i held alt on startup though, it showed "mac ssd" a an option then when i chose it it did this

Dom

12th Nov 13 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said before, is that a USB caddy (so SATA to USB bridge) or does the SSD have USB onboard?

And is that a SATA port on a Mac? Have you tried pluging the SSD into a PC and seeing if the PC recognises (should display the drive in Bios or during bootup or use something like TransMac) the SSD drive via SATA?

That screenshot just looks like a typical dodgy driver kernel panic which potentially could be fixed but usually it's easier to just backup files from the drive and reinstall.
LeeM

12th Nov 13 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah its a usb to sata cable. don't have a pc to test with.
reformatted the drive and now it doesn't even show up in disc utility when i use internet recovery. drive must be fucked
LeeM

12th Nov 13 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is fucking me off soooo much now disk utility can see it just fine plugged in to usb, but not directly to the motherboard.
Dom

12th Nov 13 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're using a USB-SATA bridge then it'd suggest it's the Mac you're using (yes, i know you said you tried the original platter drive on the same port with success), reason why you really need to test the SSD on another system (via SATA) to rule that out.

Btw, what SSD is it?
Could always seen if there is an firmware update for it and see how that goes.
LeeM

12th Nov 13 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a samsung 830, theres a firmware update but i can't seem to work out how to install it.

got my girlfriends laptop which won't even pick up the ssd by usb, i assume its the wrong format? when i plug it in it bongs, installs drivers and says my device is ready but then doesn't show up anywhere.
LeeM

12th Nov 13 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could the usb port be providing more power to the ssd than the sata port can, therefore overcoming any slight fault with the drive?
LeeM

12th Nov 13 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The plot thickens... Ssd works fine in my mates MacBook Pro, and his hdd works in mine.
Dom

12th Nov 13 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
got my girlfriends laptop which won't even pick up the ssd by usb, i assume its the wrong format? when i plug it in it bongs, installs drivers and says my device is ready but then doesn't show up anywhere.

Assume it Windows? If so, then yeah HFS isn't supported so you'll need something like TransMac (can be had if you know where to look) to view the drive.

As for the firmware update, Samsung supply ISO which you can burn to CD and then boot of that CD. Just make sure you have the correct firmware for the correct model of SSD - double check this prior to flashing.

Did the SSD boot OSX ok when you checked it on your mates? No kernel panics?
I'd try and see if you can get your hands on another SSD to try and it seems your MBP(?) is fine with mechanical drives.

Also worth checking cabling.
LeeM

13th Nov 13 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by LeeM

Assume it Windows? If so, then yeah HFS isn't supported so you'll need something like TransMac (can be had if you know where to look) to view the drive.

As for the firmware update, Samsung supply ISO which you can burn to CD and then boot of that CD. Just make sure you have the correct firmware for the correct model of SSD - double check this prior to flashing.

Did the SSD boot OSX ok when you checked it on your mates? No kernel panics?
I'd try and see if you can get your hands on another SSD to try and it seems your MBP(?) is fine with mechanical drives.

Also worth checking cabling.

no his macbook booted it and ran fine. will try and get my hands on another SSD, and will book in to apple to get cables checked
Rob R

14th Nov 13 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Read a similar thread to this on AVForums the other day - here's the link http://www.avforums.com/threads/macbook-pro-will-no-longer-work-with-ssds.1813936/#post-19848618

New Poll