corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Images from 'free' sites?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Images from 'free' sites?
A2H GO

User status: Offline
28th Oct 13 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Am I allowed to use the 'free' wallpapers offered on sites such as www.vehiclehi.com within my app (without getting into trouble)?

I've tried contacting them to clarify but no response and can't see any text on their site detailing either way.
Gary
Premium Member

28th Oct 13 at 14:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You teamed up with Chloe??
A2H GO

28th Oct 13 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, I'm actually asking first.
Balling
Premium Member

28th Oct 13 at 14:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on how they are distributed and on whether you are making money from your app.

Most such wallpapers are released under the creative commons license, so it might be worth reading up on that.

Personally I'd just (get someone to) recreate whatever wallpapers I found fitting.

Balling
Premium Member

28th Oct 13 at 15:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Either way, the worst that can happen is that you're forced to remove the wallpapers.

But in most cases, nothing ever happens at all.

I used to make a lot of wallpapers and icon packs and distribute them via deviantART.
I was often alerted by people who'd seen my work on websites, in software and once even in a printed magazine.
Back then I looked in to the legalities and all I could do was ask people to stop using my work.

So, are you allowed? Probably not.
Can something come of you using the pictures anyway? Probably not...

Still, I'd choose to source/make my own graphics. Anything else is a bit half assed.

A2H GO

28th Oct 13 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It looks as though the wallpapers are uploaded by users rather than owned by the website, therefore I can't imagine there's any way of confirming if they're covered under the CC license.

It's quite a niche app so hard to find the 'right' images on places like Flickr where they would be under the CC license.

The app will be free but that's not to say there won't be in app purchases added in the future. That said it's more important the right images are used, therefore happy to keep it completely free for the sake of being able to legally use the images.

[Edited on 28-10-2013 by A2H GO]
Balling
Premium Member

28th Oct 13 at 15:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not buy stock photos? Not too expensive these days.

Whittie

28th Oct 13 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Why not buy stock photos? Not too expensive these days.

They are for hi res. £50+
A2H GO

28th Oct 13 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looked into it on sites that actually have images worth paying for, looking at around £30 for 5 images.

If I'm not able to use the free ones then I'll probably not have much choice.
Balling
Premium Member

28th Oct 13 at 15:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
looking at around £30 for 5 images.
I'd say that's a very small expense to actually hold the rights to legally use said images.

Balling
Premium Member

28th Oct 13 at 15:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
They are for hi res. £50+
Most he'll need is around 2048x1536 at full crop.

Dom

28th Oct 13 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Balling, are you not responsible for tracking down the original copyright holder, or at least having evidence showing you attempted to contact the copyright holder, prior to using images/photographs in publications, apps and what-not?

They made a big fuss about it over here a few years back and iirc, there were a few 'find the image owner' type sites created because of it.

Ash - I'd have a look at the sites T&C's, there might be a clause that states the original holder gives up any copyright upon uploading images to the site or that they transfer the copyright to the site (ie - what social network sites tend to do).
Although i second what others have said about using stock imagery. Otherwise have a look at freelance sites, plenty of Indian's and the likes that'll knock up stuff for a fiver (i've had vector'd logo's made in the past for around £20/30 and been generally pleased with the results).
A2H GO

28th Oct 13 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm Ok with paying (if its reasonable) but since I'd found images I'm happy with on the free site it was worth checking out the legalities first.

The site I posted doesn't seem to have any T&Cs however similar ones just state that they assume the person who uploads the image has the copyright and to contact them if you come across an image you believe shouldn't be on there and they'll remove it within 24 hours. Presumably this means the copyright holder is uploading the image to share. The same images also appear on a number of these sites, all of which have varying T&Cs, it would be hard for anyone to say exactly which site it originally came from, or even if the person that uploaded the image had the rights to start with, it's all very grey.

Probably better to just be safe and pay for some.

[Edited on 28-10-2013 by A2H GO]
Rob E

28th Oct 13 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What kind of images are you actually after? Anything in particular?
A2H GO

29th Oct 13 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds weird but blurred images of railways, ie...

http://www.forwallpaper.com/wallpaper/close-up-photos-railroad-tracks-road-railway-sleepers-175249.html
RichR
Premium Member

29th Oct 13 at 12:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You live in Cheadle, just go and take photos down on the Churnet Valley Railway or Oakamoor Sidings.
Rob E

29th Oct 13 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got some of railways on my flickr account. They dont have a shallow depth of field but that could be processed in if the are of any use to you. They arent brilliant as they were take a couple of months after I bought my first DSLR back in 2008. All I ask for in return is photo creditation

_MG_2920 by rob.evans22, on Flickr

_MG_2921 by rob.evans22, on Flickr

_MG_2923 by rob.evans22, on Flickr

_MG_3791 by rob.evans22, on Flickr

_MG_3789 by rob.evans22, on Flickr

_MG_3774 by rob.evans22, on Flickr

Also found this hunk while digging them out

_MG_3324 by rob.evans22, on Flickr
A2H GO

29th Oct 13 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one Rob, pretty random that you actually had those images. If I decide to use them I'll be happy to credit.
Rob E

30th Oct 13 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Flickr is full of random stuff

New Poll