corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Car feels like limp mode

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Car feels like limp mode
Root

User status: Offline
3rd Nov 13 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was just driving my 1L 12v that I bought yesterday and I was going up a hill and the revs got to about 3k (ish, idk because I have no rev counter) and the car wouldn't pull at all, the engine noise got louder and sounded like it was bouncing on the limiter kind of, it was a loud vibrating noise.

I turned the ignition off and restarted the car and it didn't do it but obviously the problem will more than likely crop up again.
What's going on? I bought the car yesterday so I'm worried there may be an EML problem and the scrot has took the bulb out because there's no orange EML light.

Cheers
Root

3rd Nov 13 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also after the hill I tried to make the revs go past 3k a few times and it wouldn't. It didn't only happen on the hill, it just began to happen on the hill, cheers

I've got new sparkplugs, oil filter and oil, going to do that later this afternoon but I suspect it's something else.

[Edited on 03-11-2013 by Root]
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

3rd Nov 13 at 12:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've known air flow meters to cause similar symptoms on those engines, can't remember if it brings the eml on but if yours doesn't light up when you turn the ignition on, the bulbs either blown or been removed.

[Edited on 03-11-2013 by Mike]
Root

3rd Nov 13 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

>_< I forgot it comes on when you turn the key to ignition only.

I'll check if the bulb has been blown/removed.
I just find it bizarre how there was no EML light during the problem.

AFM is some kind of sensor isn't it?
Will the car run if I unplug the AFM until I buy a new one? I don't remember my other corsa having one :s

*CorsaCal*

3rd Nov 13 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All cars (except carbed cars) have an air flow meter (afm) and yes it will run with it unplugged but may be in limp mode. Not all faults will bring the eml on though. Iirc the diagnostc machines dont all talk to the 12v so may be hard to check the codes.
Mike
Premium Member

3rd Nov 13 at 13:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right, yeah your eml is fine then. AFM is a sensor yeah, if unplugged it can make it difficult to drive sometimes, just try it somewhere quiet first. I'd advise buying from Autovaux, I bought various none genuine afms for my 1.2 16v (same sensor) and none of them worked right. Autovaux do genuine afms for less than half the price of Vauxhall.
Root

3rd Nov 13 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Ah right, yeah your eml is fine then. AFM is a sensor yeah, if unplugged it can make it difficult to drive sometimes, just try it somewhere quiet first. I'd advise buying from Autovaux, I bought various none genuine afms for my 1.2 16v (same sensor) and none of them worked right. Autovaux do genuine afms for less than half the price of Vauxhall.

£72 for a sensor on a 13 year old car

Going to have to buy second hand one or something, lol. Can't justify that much on a sensor, especially when it's just a stab in the dark

Are bosch the original manufacturers of the sensor? because there's some cheap ones on ebay

Mike
Premium Member

3rd Nov 13 at 14:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't remember now, it's 3 years since I scrapped that car. I'm not sure they're reliable enough to justify buying used though, I had to buy 2 new ones in the 5 years I had the car.
deano87

3rd Nov 13 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a few similar symptons on my 12v.

1) It would bog down after idling for a while. As in put foot down and nothing. This was the AFM as detailed above. This is the sensor between airbox and throttle body. Easy fix.

2) In damp, rainy weather when pulling up at junctions and dipping the clutch, it'd almost stall. Turned out it was the breather pipes clocked up with gunk. 2 pipes between throttle body and rocker cover. Cleaned with carb cleaner and job done.

NEITHER threw up the EML!

[Edited on 03-11-2013 by deano87]
Root

3rd Nov 13 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers, the old owner said something about the breather pipe needs a clean when I mentioned the condensation/mayo on filler cap. Looked like condensation to me and was nothing on the dipstick, plus it's not used water or overheated once.

I'll clean this pipe tomorrow when I'm doing my other long job list on the car lol cheers all
jorded94

6th Nov 13 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have the same problem with my 12v although sometimes the light comes on and sometimes it doesnt?
deano87

6th Nov 13 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had constant mayo on my oil filler cap, even in the summer. Nothing to worry about.
martynmash

15th Nov 13 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most likely its the air flow meter that causes them issues on most cars so you would have to get it checked out and make sure what it is.
Root

15th Nov 13 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cleaned the breather pipes which helped minimally but then I got a new AFM which fixed the problem. Cheers everyone.

New Poll