corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Trackday trophy, my first wet race..... Video inside

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Trackday trophy, my first wet race..... Video inside
birchieboy

User status: Offline
18th Nov 13 at 06:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's the first 10mins of the final trackday trophy round at brands hatch Indy a few weeks back on the 9th November.

Was my first ever WET race and surprisingly only the second time I've been out on track when it's wet wet. My other was at oulton park in 2012.
Running on worn R888's using a car set up that I've never tried before.

http://youtu.be/EgwCw9-xpK4

Qualified 11 out of 31 with a dry set up on a slightly damp track. The heavens then opened as we made our way to the grid.

Battling with poor visibility I made it up to second. Sadly while on a charge I broke late into the first corner, on turn in the front gripped but the worn tyres on the rear lost traction and while I planted the throttle to hold the slide I ran out of Tarmac and went into the gravel at paddock hill bend which ended my race.

Although I did set second fasted lap of the race which was faster than the race winner

Roll on 2014

[Edited on 18-11-2013 by birchieboy]
M Sutton

18th Nov 13 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good video. That is a mega wet race and you did really well, shame about going into the gravel.
corsadonk
Premium Member

18th Nov 13 at 20:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It might be worth putting some of that anti-mist spray on your windows next time, but good work.

I do miss that sound of a XE on bodies.
SVM 286

18th Nov 13 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Made short work of that Bini
birchieboy

19th Nov 13 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Msutton!

Yeah I will defiantly get the anti mist spray. Hopefully I won't encounter to many races like that, although it was very enjoyable, adds another element to racing. I wouldn't be fased if the conditions were that bad again.
birchieboy

19th Nov 13 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
Made short work of that Bini

Quaife box helps massively! One of the best purchases I'd say
Ste
Premium Member

19th Nov 13 at 18:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excellent. Looks good fun. Do you mind me asking what the tabs are for on the top of the front roll hoop on the cage. Thanks

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
birchieboy

19th Nov 13 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste
Excellent. Looks good fun. Do you mind me asking what the tabs are for on the top of the front roll hoop on the cage. Thanks

Yeah sure, it's an OMP cage, tabs are there if you want to join it to the roof. It's a bolt in cage primarily so you would have to make a box section up etc to go between the roof and the tabs. Not worth it in my opinion. Doesn't aid much structural regiderty
Ste
Premium Member

20th Nov 13 at 06:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Graham88

22nd Nov 13 at 02:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome stuff James, a mates looking to enter in his EP3 Civic next year. I did look at the series as it looks fun but can't commit financially. And I don't know if I'd be any good at it
birchieboy

23rd Nov 13 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
Awesome stuff James, a mates looking to enter in his EP3 Civic next year. I did look at the series as it looks fun but can't commit financially. And I don't know if I'd be any good at it

I recommend the series to anyone who was looking to enter Motorsport for the first time.
Graham if you ever get the opportunity to do just one round I'd go for it! There is no other experience that can even come close to the buzz of flying down to the first corner with 30--40 other cars all fighting for position. I'm sure you wouldn't have any troubles too, you've got plenty of track experience, maybe even more than me. The only difference is getting used to running in very close proximity to other cars, defending you position and lining the car up for an attack. I'm constantly buzzing for the next race since I entered my first.

Plus I also give any race driver the highest amount of credit when racing in the wet and having to deal with near to zero visibility due to the spray. Driving on the limit in those conditions is hard lol
AK

23rd Nov 13 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Graham88

25th Nov 13 at 03:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's just a whole load of cost that is needed on certain dates really, with track days if moneys tight you just don't do one for a while but with this you're either committed or not (or so it seems)

And I wouldn't want to use my car for the risk of someone bashing it and I wouldn't drive competitively if I cared about the car too much!

Would love to do it given the chance though you are right. Shame I didn't realise this was on or I'd have come watched!
birchieboy

25th Nov 13 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It's just a whole load of cost that is needed on certain dates really, with track days if moneys tight you just don't do one for a while but with this you're either committed or not (or so it seems)

And I wouldn't want to use my car for the risk of someone bashing it and I wouldn't drive competitively if I cared about the car too much!

Would love to do it given the chance though you are right. Shame I didn't realise this was on or I'd have come watched!

Trackday trophy is a series so you can enter as many or as little races as you like really. But the initial expense of getting the car to meet regulations would probably the biggest cost. Little bits like rain light, fire extinguisher and electrical cut off would be the most expensive for you.

I defiantly know what you mean about the car, that was my biggest hesitance regarding going racing. I didn't want to crash my pride and joy.
Then I just thought to myself, this is what you built the car for! Follow out your dream! Lol so glad I did now.

Won't be any on till next year now, but I'll let you know when if you want to come watch.
Booking a trackday at brands on Sunday 15th December so I can get the car back out on track
Graham88

26th Nov 13 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm at Snetterton this Sunday :-)

Sounds decent, definetly sounds like fun
birchieboy

27th Nov 13 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm at Snetterton this Sunday :-)

Sounds decent, definetly sounds like fun

Make sure you get some vids up

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Trackday trophy, my first wet race..... Video inside 23 database queries in 0.0126679 seconds