corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » R1 Carbs vs Standard

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author R1 Carbs vs Standard
Dave_1987
Premium Member

User status: Offline
1st Jan 14 at 15:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi. I am currently building a C20xe Corsa b to use for track days. I am undecided weather to do the usual route of cams, power cap, Better exhaust manifold etc and give the engine a freshen up or go down the bike carb route. How much extra power will I gain?. Will I loose reliability?. Is it best to keep it standard for what I intend to use it for as I don't want to end up with too much money in it as it just a toy.

Would appreciate any advice or views.
corsadonk
Premium Member

1st Jan 14 at 21:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd save up for throttle bodies. I used to have R1 carbs on my old Corsavan, and it wasn't any quicker than a chipped XE Corsa. With a decent exhaust system, and a set of 48mm taper ITB's will be very useable, and give you plenty of power on the standard cams.
f.p.e

2nd Jan 14 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

48mm is too big. 45dth bodies will be fine. As for r1 carbs. Ive had a mild spec 20xe with ported head, pistons and 270 newmams and knocked 225bhp. Only big advantage of tbs is better mpg and mid range as can obviously set fuelling spot on across rev range.

Dave zx6r carbs arent a bad one to use either if didnt want to spend so much on throttle bodies
Dave_1987
Premium Member

2nd Jan 14 at 12:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks lads. Didn't want to go throttle bodies as I cant afford that much. I just wanted it to be cheap fun. I was only swaying towards bike carbs for a cheap alternative. I didn't want to go to the hassle of putting carbs on if a an XE with slight mods would be around the similar power.
Thanks again for the advice.
gazza808

2nd Jan 14 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by f.p.e
48mm is too big. 45dth bodies will be fine. As for r1 carbs. Ive had a mild spec 20xe with ported head, pistons and 270 newmams and knocked 225bhp. Only big advantage of tbs is better mpg and mid range as can obviously set fuelling spot on across rev range.

Dave zx6r carbs arent a bad one to use either if didnt want to spend so much on throttle bodies

they arent too big at all,

they are only 48mm at the trumpet end and taper down quite quickly,

i do also like the 45 dth's,

i've installed both on other peoples cars, i like the 45's for simplicity so easy to setup and adjust,
hate all the linkages on the taper bodies between each one.

i personally went for atpowers all singing all dancing setup as i got a good deal on them.

New Poll