corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Bendy/Curved TV's smartphones

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bendy/Curved TV's smartphones
JordyCarter

User status: Offline
7th Jan 14 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Recently heard about this, not clued up myself whats people thinking?

Sources:

Motion Curve
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcOOcuX9gys

LG's phone
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/g-flex-at-ces-lg-announces-curved-screen-smartphone-for-us-this-spring/2014/01/06/1f5fade2-76fe-11e3-b1c5-739e63e9c9a7_story.html

Apparently its got something to do with how our eyes see stuff?

[Edited on 07-01-2014 by JordyCarter]
Cavey

7th Jan 14 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was also wondering about the advantages, only thing I could think was for people viewing from an angle?

The curved smartphone, apparently hugs your face better, not sure how it helps it fit in you pocket though, bendy (flexible) phones will be out next year probably though which make a bit more sense
Rob_Quads

7th Jan 14 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For the TV I get it. If have a large screen i.e. these 85" stuff they are talking about you bend the screen so that you are viewing all the pixels at the same angle to give a more consistent picture.

On the mobile..err..errr. It will only fit in your pocket one way round.....er...er.. Sound Quality - never really noticed that being an issue to be honest
Balling
Premium Member

7th Jan 14 at 20:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The screens are curved because it's possible. There's absolutely no benefit to it.
It's just a way of promoting OLED displays.

Balling
Premium Member

7th Jan 14 at 20:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
I was also wondering about the advantages, only thing I could think was for people viewing from an angle?
On the contrary, viewing angle is much worse with a curved screen. Basically you have a specific sweet spot which is the only place to view the screen properly. Move back, forwards or to the sides and you'll perceive the screen for what it is: Curved.

Bart

7th Jan 14 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As balling said, I really don't get it either.

They should be concentrating on making really thin and lightweight TVs, not putting bloody motors behind to bend the edges in
A2H GO

7th Jan 14 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same as 3D, LED and all these other gimmicks, they'll do it because they know people who want to tell their mates they have a '3D LED Smart TV' will buy them.

Nexus one had a curved screen years ago (there were probably some before that too).
A2H GO

7th Jan 14 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
As balling said, I really don't get it either.

They should be concentrating on making really thin and lightweight TVs, not putting bloody motors behind to bend the edges in

Do you often carry your TV around to justify paying extra for it being light?

They should be concentrating on making 4K/8K affordable and making the content available.
John

7th Jan 14 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

4K will be affordable soon, Costco have an LG in just now for about £4k, I be that'll be £2k this time next year.

Curved TV is stupid unless you are sitting directly (and only directly) in front of it.

3D also wasn't added as a gimmick, it was the next big thing, it's just turned out to be crap.

[Edited on 07-01-2014 by John]
A2H GO

7th Jan 14 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure I've seen good sized 4k TVs for less than a grand, I'll buy one when they're < £600.
John

8th Jan 14 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, curved phones, other than being completely useless in general, surely completely useless for putting in your pocket?
Gary
Premium Member

8th Jan 14 at 09:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Meh. I'm looking forward to flexible screen phones etc. I know Samsung have a flexible screen developed but not sure about the touch part. Clever shit though.
John

8th Jan 14 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Touch part just stays the same really, that can already be flexible.

There are applications for flexible screens, just not in our current phone format.
Gary
Premium Member

8th Jan 14 at 09:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Course there is. Chuck a flexy screen on a normal phone and no more smashed screens
John

8th Jan 14 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bendy plastic isn't as tough or nice to touch as glass. they could put a non smashable screen on just now without it being bendy.
Balling
Premium Member

8th Jan 14 at 09:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup, plexiglas is used for bullet proof windows, but it scratches very easily, hence not being used in phones.

Bart

8th Jan 14 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there even much 4K content available yet or is everything upscaled?
JordyCarter

8th Jan 14 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the curve in the phone is an okay idea. I think its so subtle you wouldnt really notice a change when its in your pocket.
ed

8th Jan 14 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm glad it's not just me then; I thought I was turning into an old man when my immediate thought to a curved screen phone or TV was "Why the fuck do I need that?".

[Edited on 08-01-2014 by ed]
Balling
Premium Member

8th Jan 14 at 11:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
Is there even much 4K content available yet or is everything upscaled?
Everything is upscaled.

At some point we'll see some UHD blu rays at 2160p, but tbh I'm not bothered until Netflix and other providers open up 2160p streaming. I've bought way too many DVDs and blu rays to start investing in yet another format that'll be surpassed in a few years.

A2H GO

8th Jan 14 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haven't bought physical media in years, don't even own a blu-ray player.

Netflix are already streaming 4K content aren't they? And are doing House of Cards this year in 4K? Also youTube are streaming stuff in 4K already and Sony have signed a deal to stream films in 4K.

All I hear on twitter is people banging on about 4K monitors, the worlds ready for it, the industry just needs to get their fingers out their bendy-glass/3D/money grabbing arse and make it happen.

[Edited on 08-01-2014 by A2H GO]
Brett
Premium Member

8th Jan 14 at 12:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dell are doing a 28" 4k monitor for $699, seems reasonable.
Balling
Premium Member

8th Jan 14 at 12:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Obviously PC monitors are a different breed and have long surpassed TV's in resolution.

Doesn't really make sense to talk about 4K, 1080p, UHD etc. when discussing any other displays than TV's.

Balling
Premium Member

8th Jan 14 at 12:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Netflix are already streaming 4K content aren't they?
Doesn't look like it to me. Might be ISP dependent, like their UltraHD format. Wouldn't know where they're getting their content from either, as studios haven't started releasing anything yet, to my knowledge.

The Netflix first party shows are a different kettle of fish.

Brett
Premium Member

8th Jan 14 at 12:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Obviously PC monitors are a different breed and have long surpassed TV's in resolution.

Doesn't really make sense to talk about 4K, 1080p, UHD etc. when discussing any other displays than TV's.

i'll keep my gob shut

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll