corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Electricians / master DIY people this way please

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Electricians / master DIY people this way please
SXI - Matt

User status: Offline
17th Jan 14 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Before any one mentions it yes house day would be ideal but more traffic in here and after a fairly quick reply

I've got some down lights fitted up stairs in the last few days and need so help around covers and insulation. There fire rated spot lights so are a one piece unit, now in my loft I have the fluffy type insulation stuff am I right in saying I need covers over the spot lights and that the covers can't be covered in the insulation? Currently I've out these covers on and cut the insulation round it

However I thinking these would be more suitable as the ones I've currently got are for non fire rated units

And lastly can you put the insulation over either of these or leave them how i have cut around?

Thanks guys
SXI - Matt

17th Jan 14 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apologies for spelling and wrong word auto correct on my iphone going crazy
RichR
Premium Member

17th Jan 14 at 11:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the latter are useless, I've bought 3 packs for my bathroom and they're very flimsy. Ultimately, I've changed the insulation to kingspan board rather than fibreglass and used the type you have in your earlier photo

[Edited on 17-01-2014 by LiVe LeE]
SXI - Matt

17th Jan 14 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My only concern with the first one is circulation for the heat to dispurs, I've trial fitted the other type in some more that are being fitted and would let the heat out much better as there is no top. The units are the ones below also so are fire rated so wouldn't need the hoods. Unless the heat would still dispurs in the hood guards? Then I'll keep them as seem much better protected from insulation and sturdy ect.

[Edited on 17-01-2014 by SXI - Matt]

SXI - Matt

17th Jan 14 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My next question is can you cover the hood with a layer of insulation or leave them as I have?

And the transformer where would you locate it I'm thinking of screwing it to a beam away from the insulation ect as they get quite hot.

RichR
Premium Member

17th Jan 14 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're not technically fitted right either as the spring clip is meant to sit in the slot on the guard. I wasn't impressed with them when I got them.
AndyKent

17th Jan 14 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fit led bulbs, massively massively cooler running and easier to dissipate heat
Gary
Premium Member

17th Jan 14 at 12:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What Andy said. Low voltage is massively inefficient.

Some decent LED lamps will be loads better. Megaman ones are good
SXI - Matt

17th Jan 14 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just replace the current ones with LED ones then? They just as bright?
M2RTY

18th Jan 14 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use leds and a offcuts of drainpipes for hoods
SXI - Matt

19th Jan 14 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well got an electrician coming beginning of the week to check it and sign it all off as safe ect. So if needs changing I'll let him do it.

[Edited on 19-01-2014 by SXI - Matt]
CORSA NUT

19th Jan 14 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A common misconception is LED's run so cool they don't need ventilation. They require even more than GU10's as they don't take too well to being warmed up.

Saying that I can't fathom why people still fit GU10's anyway
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

19th Jan 14 at 16:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fitted a piece of 10" drain / sewer pipe over each one of mine then laid the insulation over and around that so each spot has its own cool air around it.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Sean-B

19th Jan 14 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plant pots are good too

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Electricians / master DIY people this way please 23 database queries in 0.0125251 seconds