corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » failure to tax car fine

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author failure to tax car fine
shaunmods
Premium Member

User status: Offline
29th Jan 14 at 13:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got caught out by this on a car I bought a couple of months back. It was sorn'd when I bought it but I didn't realise I'd have to re sorn it again So I got a fine through the post.

£40 if I pay it within 4 weeks, £80 if not + arrears of £10.42

Just rang up to pay it and questioned the woman about the arrears and whether they are compulsory or not because the cars been sat on my drive so it's not like I've been driving it around with no tax. She said I 'should' pay it but they will accept just the £40 fine but they 'might' contact me in the future about it She assured me that this amount will not go up so I thought fuck it I won't pay it!

Anyone else had any dealings with this? Were they just trying to sneak an extra tenner out of me or am I likely to have to pay it?

[Edited on 29-01-2014 by shaunmods]
Ben G

29th Jan 14 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought you didn't have to re-sorn cars anymore, they just stay sorned until taxed.

Whether the law is only for the same owner, i'm not sure.
Brett
Premium Member

29th Jan 14 at 14:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

If you buy a vehicle that already has a SORN from its previous keeper, the SORN will finish as soon as you buy the vehicle. You will need to make a new SORN.

https://www.gov.uk/register-sorn-statutory-off-road-notification
Graham88

29th Jan 14 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What a con
Ben G

29th Jan 14 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More useless red tape there.
Brett
Premium Member

29th Jan 14 at 16:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems like it's just another thing to catch people out and make a quick buck
Steve X16XE

29th Jan 14 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never had to do that! Got a car that I'll be sticking 6 months TAX on it on the 1st. Had the car since September!
shaunmods
Premium Member

29th Jan 14 at 16:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I know I was in the wrong for not re sorning it into my own name, lesson learnt there!

Its the arrears bit I can't understand :S All the will tell you is that they may contact you in the future about it. I even called back and asked another person directly if I have to pay it and got the exact same shady response! Very weird

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » failure to tax car fine 22 database queries in 0.0123179 seconds