corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Personal reg retention

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Personal reg retention
Brett
Premium Member

User status: Offline
30th Jan 14 at 23:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello

Could anyone please confirm if this is right?

Say I wanted to sell my car this weekend and retain my plate, which is still on said vehicle...

I get the new keeper to fill in the V5 as usual, but also enclose a V317 (plus fee). The registered owner of plate on the V317 would be the NEW keepers details and I would put myself as the Grantee.

The new keeper would then receive a new MOT certificate, tax disc and V5 in their name with old plate on from DVLA. I would be posted the retention certificate from DVLA.

Cheers
Ian
Site Administrator

30th Jan 14 at 23:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Safer getting it off first.
Brett
Premium Member

30th Jan 14 at 23:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah no doubt about that, but it means waiting 3-4 weeks for the V5 back
Brett
Premium Member

31st Jan 14 at 09:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Called up DVLA. What I said above is spot on for anyone who may want to do this in the future. Completely safe, just don't give the new keeper the green slip, send off the whole V5 with completed V317 + fee. New keeper will get tax disc & MOT within 14 days, and new V5 with their details within 4 weeks beyond that. Retention certificate should be with you within 14 days.
John

31st Jan 14 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's handy to know. Last one the guy seemed genuine so I just let him deal with it, took ages to come through though.
DaveyLC

31st Jan 14 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Legally you're supposed to do it first.. If you decide to have the transfer active after you have sold the car make sure you put something in writing on the receipt because technically it will be the new owners number plate if the DVLA were to 'lose your paper work' as they do on such a regular basis

[Edited on 31-01-2014 by DaveyLC]
Brett
Premium Member

31st Jan 14 at 11:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah true, which is why the new keeper has to sign as the owner of the plate. I understand it may seem a bit more risky, as technically they're legally entitled to the plate, but if all the relevant papers and forms are sent off there and then, surely it's cool right?
Brett
Premium Member

31st Jan 14 at 11:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, sent recorded then for security
Brett
Premium Member

31st Jan 14 at 11:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The plus here is that the car I'm looking at also has a private plate on, where he intends to do exactly the same.

Edit just to elaborate on that a bit. We're doing a bit of a trade/swap.

[Edited on 31-01-2014 by Brett]
Brett
Premium Member

24th Feb 14 at 09:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to update for anyone doing this in future...

I took a car in part-ex that also had a personal reg.

Both signed over V5, both filled in a V317 to 'transfer' registrations. Included both MOTs and 2x £80 postal order. Sent the lot together in one envelope recorded delivery.

New V5s were in both of our hands with the registrations changed within 1.5 weeks. New tax/mot came a day later.

Even quicker service than you'd normally get when sending off a V5 and never had to roll on original plates. Great service and a lot easier and cheaper than sticking it on retention then reapplying, which would cost more and take a hell of a lot longer
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Feb 14 at 16:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think the DVLA get a bit of an unfair press as far as time taken to do things goes.

Probably lots of people blaming the DVLA when in fact the guy they bought the car off hasn't posted the stuff, that's never going to arrive in a week if its not even gone out.

Everything I've sent I've had back fairly quickly.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Personal reg retention 22 database queries in 0.0098670 seconds