corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Lost keys... claim on insurance?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lost keys... claim on insurance?
dannymccann

User status: Offline
31st Jan 14 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So yea, lost my motorbike keys. I've given up looking after 2 weeks, I reckon they've found their way into the recycling or something.

Anyway, is this the sort of thing covered on usual insurance policies. I'll dig out policy docs in the morning, wonder if anyone has had this experience. I'm only tpft on the bike, Hastings direct. £110 for a lock smith to come out to me and cut new keys, thinking excess+claim might work out cheaper?
RichR
Premium Member

31st Jan 14 at 22:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's an optional extra on my insurance which I haven't opted for - I'm not sure it's standard on many policies.
baza31

31st Jan 14 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't worry I once weighed in my keys by accident . Right ball ache as most I didn't have spares . I wouldn't claim off insurance as am sure for a couple of hundred you can sort it out
corsa-torque

31st Jan 14 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be cheaper to take the ignition barrel to a locksmith and get them to cut the key, I got a local place to cut me a new set of keys for the GF's car when she lost them, lucky enough the car was un locked in the garage and I just took the door barrel down.
Some may ask for a log book before cutting tho
dannymccann

31st Jan 14 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know corsa torque but to be honest with you I'm not good with tools and don't want to break anything else. In the long run trying to take it apart would only cost me more having to get someone else qualified out to put it all back together again!
Ben G

1st Feb 14 at 01:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I once lost a focus key for 3 months. Found it when I pulled put the washing machine when painting.

Don't give up hope!
dannymccann

1st Feb 14 at 06:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, they are here somewhere but while I cannot find them, I cannot use the bike, so therefore I have to go to work in the car so it takes me 45 minutes instead of 10 to get there and after 3 weeks of it I'm starting to get bored

Also means the wife is stuck at home all day with the baby and can't go anywhere
Graeme
Premium Member

3rd Feb 14 at 08:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really wouldn't claim for a £110. Will cost you alot more in the long run!
pow
Premium Member

3rd Feb 14 at 09:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What Graeme said, just get a new barrell and key set!
dannymccann

3rd Feb 14 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's alright doing that but still needs fitting, and would also need to replace the fuel cap and seat lock It's alright the key fitting in the ignition but if I cant put petrol in it it wont go anywhere either
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Feb 14 at 21:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there a key number on any of the barrels? If so, just try a local key cutters.
Rob_Quads

4th Feb 14 at 07:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No way worth claiming for £110 as it will cost you more than that in renewals due to having a claim on your account.
_Allan_

4th Feb 14 at 07:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why were both keys together? Or if you only had one then

Number of threads were people only have one key, don't do anything about it and then lose it

As Lee said number off ignition barrel or VIN and the dealer should be able to get you TWO cut.

[Edited on 04-02-2014 by _Allan_]
dannymccann

4th Feb 14 at 07:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know Allan, massive fail on my part only having one key, it was something to get done before Christmas but the wife was pregnant so never found time to do anything blah blah blah

I've read online that even if I could get the barrel out, there arent any markings on them anymore, to stop people doing that to nick the bikes? I don't really have the mechanical nouse to pull it apart, well I could get it apart but probably not back together again
_Allan_

4th Feb 14 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dealer should be able to get it cut by VIN. Call your local dealer and ask
dannymccann

4th Feb 14 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tried that, they said no chance, only way they will do it is with the stupid little key code thing that comes with the bike new, no chance of finding that

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Lost keys... claim on insurance? 22 database queries in 0.0099199 seconds