corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mercedes V-Classes

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mercedes V-Classes
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
9th Feb 14 at 18:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now I'm a home owner, I'm thinking that we should sell the camper to release some funds for home improvements BUT we don't want to give the camper van life up completely! We are both on teachers timetables so our only real chance for a holiday is touring in the summer. So I've settled on buying a v220 cdi (the car version of the Vito) and converting it to a camper ourselves (that's the fun bit)!

I know they like a bit of rust but it's the best of the 3k 'campers'... Anyone else got any other buying advise? I'd quite like a manual one (the auto boxes seem to like a bit of limp mode) and Defo want the diesel not the petrol!

Thanks!

[Edited on 09-02-2014 by pow]
Ben G

9th Feb 14 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Christ. Great for taxi drivers.
pow
Premium Member

9th Feb 14 at 18:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Better to drive than the T2 to drive as we'll BUT don't tell Lauren!
pow
Premium Member

9th Feb 14 at 18:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the constructive input Ben
Nic Barnes

9th Feb 14 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
its all he does, prick replies.

its older, but a t4 for about 3k would have been a better van in my opinion. the engines and body shell are a lot better.
corsadonk
Premium Member

9th Feb 14 at 18:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about a Transit?
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Feb 14 at 18:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think they've got a bit of cool.

Essentially a commercial vehicle so they're built to do the miles, can't imagine it'll be that much hassle.
pow
Premium Member

9th Feb 14 at 19:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Want to avoid a van if poss as the insurance for them is silly... Very difficult to change it on the log book to a camper as well! I'm not a fan of the T4 Barnes, I imagine this would drive a little better?
pow
Premium Member

9th Feb 14 at 19:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interior space is practically identical to the t2, they come with ad and cruise as we'll!
BeetleGav

9th Feb 14 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a t4 would be my choice.
ive not driven one but ive been a passenger and that was quite a nice experience
Tiger

9th Feb 14 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My T4 is great, but slow. its a 1.9Td - I can just about get 75mph out of it, but I wouldnt want to sit there for long, 60 is a far more comfortable speed. Great on diesel though for a 2.7 tonne van.
Ben G

9th Feb 14 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
quote:
Originally posted by pow
its all he does, prick replies.

its older, but a t4 for about 3k would have been a better van in my opinion. the engines and body shell are a lot better.

Piss off you insignificant pleb.

The only info I have on these are from my journey in one. It was nice and comfortable, hence great for taxi journeys and maybe trips away?

Prick
pow
Premium Member

9th Feb 14 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We trundled around Europe at 85/90 kmph so anything over 60 is a bonus

Going to go and take a look at one next weekend and have a poke around with the space and take it from there.

Really would prefer a manual though, better MPG and less to go wrong. Plus, the old merc autos are nothing to write home about!
Munchie

10th Feb 14 at 00:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have a 61 reg. So facelifted to that one. Mapped up nicely so 0-60 is around 9 seconds....
pow
Premium Member

10th Feb 14 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They have curtains and aux heaters

[Edited on 10-02-2014 by pow]
baza31

10th Feb 14 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't rate them, they are uncomfortable to drive, noisy and rust away in no time . I drove a new one ( this shape) to France . It wasn't a v class is was just a van so don't know if the v class has better seats etc . What do you have now ?
pow
Premium Member

10th Feb 14 at 11:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A VW T2 so it is deffo going to drive better than that

Mum had an old A-Class of that generation and it was alright... can't imagine this is that much different?

The V220CDI Ambiente comes with leather, AC, cruise, captains seats, RCL etc. etc. so it's nicely spec'd for a 3k van! Means I would have 7k+ left over from the sale of my van

I want to keep it really but it still needs a few thousand pounds of work and it's a labour of love that with my new job, private work and a house I don't have time for.
pow
Premium Member

10th Feb 14 at 11:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus I want to smash a fireplace out at my new house, new boil & bathroom and some work in the garden and this would release funds for that.

[Edited on 10-02-2014 by pow]
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

10th Feb 14 at 11:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sell it to pugnut
pow
Premium Member

10th Feb 14 at 12:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bbbaaaahahahaha
Robin
Premium Member

10th Feb 14 at 12:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy the 2.8 (VR6) and turbo it IMO
pow
Premium Member

10th Feb 14 at 15:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah, want miles per gallonsssss
SVM 286

13th Feb 14 at 06:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Now I'm a home owner, I'm thinking that we should sell the camper to release some funds for home improvements BUT we don't want to give the camper van life up completely! We are both on teachers timetables so our only real chance for a holiday is touring in the summer. So I've settled on buying a v220 cdi (the car version of the Vito) and converting it to a camper ourselves (that's the fun bit)!

I know they like a bit of rust but it's the best of the 3k 'campers'... Anyone else got any other buying advise? I'd quite like a manual one (the auto boxes seem to like a bit of limp mode) and Defo want the diesel not the petrol!

Thanks!

[Edited on 09-02-2014 by pow]

My cousin's husband had a brand new one of these as a company car Pow.

Twas a tsunami of trouble.

The list went on and on with problems like rust, water ingress, warning lights, limp mode, intermittent not starting, trim failure etc etc.

At one point the sliding door even fell off without warning in a supermarket car park. Got sent back and refunded in the end.

So be careful obviously. Check that EVERYTHING works and give it a very thorough inspection and test drive.

pow
Premium Member

13th Feb 14 at 08:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need to find a local one at a dealer to go and have a look at this weekend.
DaveyLC

13th Feb 14 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can find a good one they are great!

Trouble is all of the good ones (the high spec ones with air suspension etc.) were all bought up by the private hire industry and are fooked!

I looked for a good one (at a reasonable price) for ages and had very little luck

I told you that camper would last all of five bloody minutes didn't I

BTW the older (boxy) ones (like in your photo) ARE DOG SHIT.. do not touch..

[Edited on 13-02-2014 by DaveyLC]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mercedes V-Classes 22 database queries in 0.0165250 seconds