corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » £3000 repair?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author £3000 repair?
Tiger

User status: Offline
19th Feb 14 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A bloke I know has a 61 plate VW Passat, its probably got about 170,000 on it now but regularly serviced etc. He doesnt own the car, it's a company car.

It kept cutting out and wouldnt exceed 5mph when the fault happened, it occured on a few occasions, and again just 2 days ago. Anyway, it got collected and taken to VW, who then confirmed the engine management and gone up the swanny. Turns out the bill for the repair was £3000

I mean what the absolute fuck do these places do to charge these costs? We had the whole engine and gearbox reconned as it was fucked on a 59 plate transit at work and it was only £2300.
Ojc

19th Feb 14 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because too many idiots do pay that price
3CorsaMeal

19th Feb 14 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vw innit. Think they are selling supercars and charge supercar money.

We are all paying for the veyrons imo
fred7

19th Feb 14 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc

This. my dad had the same on his insignia went to Vauxhall said the same £3100 I said get it back and we will look at it. sent it out cost £250 to be reprogrammed 2 years later still working fine!!
Tiger

19th Feb 14 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc

What can you do though?

I would hope that being only a few years old, VW would honour some repair? They did offer to valet it apparently
Mattb

19th Feb 14 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£3k for an engine management issue? im not too sure thats the whole story there, even replacing the entire engine wiring loom and engine ECU wouldnt cost that!

The other side of it is also that as a brand, they arent allowed to 'repair' stuff like control units etc, its all got to be new from the manufacturer which = £££ and half the time the techs are too lazy or too inexperienced to rebuild other stuff like engines and boxes. Couple that with a labour rate of somewhere around £130 +VAT an hour ends up too much for most.
Ben G

19th Feb 14 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My neighbour paid 2.5k when his 325i (2011) engine management system was fucked.

So yeah, people do pay it. I wouldn't, but I suppose it depends how much you need/want the car fixed.
taylorboosh

19th Feb 14 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A 55 plate vivaro van at work was sent for a new ecu + loom + injectors for £4k... None of above fixed it so they scrapped it lol
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

19th Feb 14 at 22:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You will be amazed at some of the prices I get quoted in work.
I'd say fiat are the worse for it.
Just the other week a chap came into work in a new shape bravo. Think it was a 59 plate or something. Passenger seatbelt came out and wouldn't return
Priced up. A new seatbelt from fiat
Including a hours labour.
£468 plus vat.....
What the fuck?! Had to try hunt out a second hand one.
John

19th Feb 14 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You've just made the case for fiat with that post. Do you think a main dealer will be hunting about and fitting a second hand vital safety device?
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Feb 14 at 23:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That doesn't excuse charging over £500 for a seatbelt.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

19th Feb 14 at 23:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How have I made a case for fiat?

I rang them for a price. They priced me over £500
I had to try get a second hand one instead?

Where's the case for fiat :s
Tiger

20th Feb 14 at 07:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
You've just made the case for fiat with that post. Do you think a main dealer will be hunting about and fitting a second hand vital safety device?

I bet a second hand seatbelt will perform exactly as well as a brand new one, and lets be honest, you wouldnt buy a second hand one that looked tatty, torn and worn out.
taylorboosh

20th Feb 14 at 07:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Every single used car has second hand seat belts
John

20th Feb 14 at 07:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A couple of captain obviouses here.

Completely ignore the main dealer part?
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

20th Feb 14 at 08:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I still don't get where I've made a point for fiat :s
John

20th Feb 14 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You wouldn't tbh.
Mattb

20th Feb 14 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91
I still don't get where I've made a point for fiat :s

you havent.....

the thing with main dealers is that they are all franchises. The have to buy parts from the manufacturer who want to make as much money as possible and inflate their prices of parts to do so. Then to sell the parts tell the dealers that they arent allowed to fit second hand or reconditioned parts from a 3rd party. If they do they could face loosing their franchise.

Its reasons like that the block exemption was created
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

20th Feb 14 at 13:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You wouldn't tbh.

Explain it then you ignorant cunt
John

20th Feb 14 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Outside of the reasons from Matt above about them not being allowed to keep the franchise? In the litigation culture of today, it's much easier to say it's £400 and not get the business than it is to firstly spend time acquiring a used part and then fitting a safety device of unknown origin.

Fiat charging £400 for something that should cost £5 is irrelevant.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

20th Feb 14 at 13:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work for an Independant garage so fitting the second hand one has nothing to do with this? As were insured to fit them.
Is this whole thread not about the price main dealers charge for parts...

I know that main dealers Arnt suppost to fit second hand parts. I'm not saying I asked them to sort me a second hand part

What I said was that in the garage I work at I priced up a new one for a customer and it was stupidly priced. So I get myself a second hand one instead and fitted that?
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Feb 14 at 14:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
In the litigation culture of today, it's much easier to say it's £400

£400 is still lots of money for something that costs a lot less to make. In fact, Fiat probably don't even make them?

I'm not even sure we're comparing new for used, I'm comparing new branded OE for new branded someone else.

Happens a lot - I could list you a ton of stuff which is Delco/Bosch/Lucas and is half the price.

Certainly take the cut to pay for the nice main dealer facilities, but putting something in a Fiat box doesn't make it worth twice as much.

Main thing that would get in your way is the aforementioned suppliers won't sell you one - in order to keep the dealers in daft money quotes.

[Edited on 20-02-2014 by Ian]
John

20th Feb 14 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the part costs most of that for the dealer, they won't be making much out of it anyway.

I know all of the stuff you are saying, but I bet most customers don't know/care.
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Feb 14 at 00:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't really mean dealer in terms of the dealer making the most money, I know they don't get it all on the cheap either.

Probably all the way down the chain, everyone is paying too much because its in a Fiat box.

I think anyone who uses a main dealer is probably happy to pay more thinking they're getting a better service.

Once you see through that its difficult to ever see the attraction.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » £3000 repair? 22 database queries in 0.0156808 seconds