corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » E46 BMW 320d

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author E46 BMW 320d
GB123
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Feb 14 at 16:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is high mileage a problem with these?

Also is there anything else in particular to look out for?
spencer88

27th Feb 14 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same as any car, depends how it has been looked after.

IIRC Swirl flaps are an issue and a filter in relation to the turbo???
3CorsaMeal

27th Feb 14 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"Is high mileage a problem?"

One of the all time great questions imo

I find most engines these days are the part of a car that last the longer, seats, suspension, brakes, exhaust, clutch, body, all wear out first.

There are bad great cars and great bad cars, the trick is to find the great great cars imo.

Hope that helps
GB123
Premium Member

27th Feb 14 at 16:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Inspirational
Toby
Premium Member

27th Feb 14 at 21:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Swirl flaps are a major issue on these. Not cheap to fix but wouldn't prevent me owning one.
daymoon
Premium Member

27th Feb 14 at 21:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
Swirl flaps are a major issue on these. Not cheap to fix but wouldn't prevent me owning one.

40 quid to replace them with blanks. shit loads if some one is stupid enough to leave them in and they fall to bits.

what is "high mileage"? 100k? 200k?
GB123
Premium Member

27th Feb 14 at 21:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Around the 150k mark
daymoon
Premium Member

27th Feb 14 at 21:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GB123
Around the 150k mark

I am guessing Turbo has been replaced at this mileage. If not it should really be.

rear subframe bushes, make sure clutch is ok, injectors may go at some point.

Best thing to do would be connect it to diagnostics machine as well as error codes don't show up on dash really.

I had E46 and prefer E39, but that's just me..
GB123
Premium Member

27th Feb 14 at 21:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do like e39's but most seem to be autos, would rather a manual really.
daymoon
Premium Member

27th Feb 14 at 22:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I do like e39's but most seem to be autos, would rather a manual really.

manuals are there. Just gotta hold out. Ebay/Autotrader/Facebook pages.. just keep checking and you will find one soon.
Nic Barnes

27th Feb 14 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine has done 150k, drives like new.
GB123
Premium Member

28th Feb 14 at 10:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon
quote:
Originally posted by Toby

40 quid to replace them with blanks. shit loads if some one is stupid enough to leave them in and they fall to bits.

Easy enough to do yourself?
daymoon
Premium Member

28th Feb 14 at 11:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes
BarnshaW

28th Feb 14 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bullshit to the mileage argument, i drove a 2010 320d beemer the other day that had 126k, it felt terrible, clunky, gearbox was as loose as anything and generally felt like a high mileage car, admitted it may have had a hard life but thats still 10 years worth of road use and hammering, 150k is still IMO far too many miles and I would certainly be looking for a lower mileage example, theres loads about.
3CorsaMeal

28th Feb 14 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
drives like new.

How would you know?
Nic Barnes

28th Feb 14 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know. End of discussion.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

28th Feb 14 at 13:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my dads got a 320d touring as the family workhorse

done 196k and still going, still pulls well but alot of the stuff around the car is starting to wear out, not so much the engine but the swirl flaps have been done already and water pump was changed last week, apart from that like others have said its the rest of the car that starts falling apart first usually
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

28th Feb 14 at 13:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Millage is just a number I find. If you look after your car properly that is.
Some of our taxis are on 200-300k millage and they drive brilliant. But they get serviced every 10k. And everything that needs it gets replaced.
Them bmw's are good though. As above. Swirl flaps. Oil breather thing. Injectors. And bushes are the main things that go. And turbo's
GB123
Premium Member

1st Mar 14 at 16:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quick update, bought one today on 130k.

Full service history, new turbo at 95k, drives lovely. Feels like a rocket compared to my 1.0 corsa B

Also has M Sport kit, will get pics tomorrow.
daymoon
Premium Member

1st Mar 14 at 19:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Full service history, new turbo at 95k, drives lovely. Feels like a rocket compared to my 1.0 corsa B

Sounds good.

Now check which oil breather filter it has and chuck swirl flaps out ASAP
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

1st Mar 14 at 19:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon
quote:

Sounds good.

Now check which oil breather filter it has and chuck swirl flaps out ASAP

^^^this^^^
Wrighty

1st Mar 14 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hows it feel performance wise? im on the fence about a 330D because they are pretty hard to find msport/manual coupes but there are tons of low milesage 320D's about just not sure if i buy a 320 it will feel sluggish and id wish i bought a 330
GB123
Premium Member

1st Mar 14 at 19:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah will blank swirl flaps next week
GB123
Premium Member

1st Mar 14 at 19:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
Hows it feel performance wise? im on the fence about a 330D because they are pretty hard to find msport/manual coupes but there are tons of low milesage 320D's about just not sure if i buy a 320 it will feel sluggish and id wish i bought a 330

Can't really comment on comparison to a 330 as I've never driven one, but it feels pretty quick, by no means a slouch, foot down in 5th I was at 100 in a few seconds without realising.
daymoon
Premium Member

1st Mar 14 at 19:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty

530D at 1900kd feel/goes faster than a 1400kg 320d

So I can only imagine how fast a 330d with manual gearbox is

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » E46 BMW 320d 22 database queries in 0.0121269 seconds