corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Drove This Beauty Today *tessla inside*

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Drove This Beauty Today *tessla inside*
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th Mar 14 at 22:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The one and only one in the UK currently (so ive been told)
on sale in america and in holland at the moment and soon to be released for sale in england

The Tessla Model S

Bit of info that i know about the car...
the whole car is controlled by the touch screen panel in the middle there, including the built in phone and internet. it can open or close the bonnet or boot, switch on the lights, everything!
yes it is a 7 seater, them seats in the back are for children only
just been awarded america's highest ever saftey rateing

100% electric
will do 300-350 miles on one charge
fast charge takes 30 mins
all charging stations are free
0-60 in 4.5 seconds
zero emissions
zero road tax
starting price of £45,000
and a very nice drive, torquey as hell, no gears to it so it just pulls and pulls and pulls

im honestly impressed, ive never thought of electric cars as useable before but this one seems to of hit the nail on the head.

[Edited on 24-03-2014 by FlaFFy_91]

[Edited on 24-03-2014 by FlaFFy_91]
Daimo B

24th Mar 14 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great if you live in America.

Awful if you live in the UK

http://www.teslamotors.com/en_GB/supercharger

Dom

24th Mar 14 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91
The one and only one in the UK currently (so ive been told)....

There's a German import that's getting flung around UK press for testing as well; in fact i think there's a few European imports doing the rounds in the UK.

Either way, it's a stupidly impressive car and certainly closes the gap between electric and petrol/diesel cars. But there's still a few issues to solve, particularly with charging which still takes far too long compared to filling a petrol/diesel tank - unless you're into battery swapping.

quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B
Awful if you live in the UK
http://www.teslamotors.com/en_GB/supercharger

Tesla have built 'Superchargers' in Europe, so there's nothing to say they won't build them here. However i do question the 'free' part of it as the original idea was to supply the charging stations with free power via solar (Musk/Tesla own a hefty chuck of a solar company; so cheap panels i imagine) but as that isn't a particularly great solution in Europe, more so the UK, i wondering who's going to foot the bill for electricity usage if it is to remain free

Still, you can get fast/dual chargers and at home you obviously could get 3-phase fitted which would drastically reduce charging times.

Edit - Robert Llewellyn is a huge fan of Tesla's, electric cars in general tbh, and has a Youtube channel that's worth watching - https://www.youtube.com/user/fullychargedshow

[Edited on 24-03-2014 by Dom]
John

24th Mar 14 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can test drive one in London. Not the only one in uk.
j10E W

24th Mar 14 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i saw one in london last week
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

24th Mar 14 at 23:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The charging is half a hour and it's free, there's even charging stations for it already at the Trafford center.
So it's not the only one in the uk hence the (so I've been told) part
it's free fuel. Free road tax. Fast and comfortae car. Why does this not work in the uk?
Daimo B

24th Mar 14 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love the idea, and I think the car looks great, and its in a good market for a cars price range thats affordable for a lot of folk, but theres some major flaws.

Where is the power coming from? Who pays the bill to the chargers? Telsa? Its not sustainable surely if it got bigger.

Who wants to wait 30 minutes to charge up? "Sorry I'm 3hrs late for work, I forgot to charge my car last night, and there was a queue in the electric stop"

Fast chargers at home. OK, it won't be free, and it will cost a lot of money at home to charge on fast charge. Although 7kw is fine for a slow charge, it'll still rake up electric prices at home.

Also, wheres electricity come from? Natural resources, so its not solving the problem, its just adding to it. Its why electric cars are not feasible yet. Solar energy/wind energy with reserve holding batteries needs to move forwards. If this can be done, it'll work (Natural energy stored from daytime, to charge car at night).

I like the car, but the ideas really flawed IMO.

Also, whilst its free at the moment, if it took off in the UK, you can be assured the government would start charging.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

24th Mar 14 at 23:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree on the whole "where is the electricity coming from" printable.
It's sill burning coal or oil to make it. So yer it doesn't work that way
Although as above they could simply install solar panels to charge the charging station?
I know it wouldn't solve the problem as you would need hundreds of the idea took off but it could cover some of it atleast?
And yes the government would throw some sort of tax on it. They do with absolutely everything else in this shed of a country.

taylorboosh

25th Mar 14 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I love the idea, and I think the car looks great, and its in a good market for a cars price range thats affordable for a lot of folk, but theres some major flaws.

Where is the power coming from? Who pays the bill to the chargers? Telsa? Its not sustainable surely if it got bigger.

Who wants to wait 30 minutes to charge up? "Sorry I'm 3hrs late for work, I forgot to charge my car last night, and there was a queue in the electric stop"

Fast chargers at home. OK, it won't be free, and it will cost a lot of money at home to charge on fast charge. Although 7kw is fine for a slow charge, it'll still rake up electric prices at home.

Also, wheres electricity come from? Natural resources, so its not solving the problem, its just adding to it. Its why electric cars are not feasible yet. Solar energy/wind energy with reserve holding batteries needs to move forwards. If this can be done, it'll work (Natural energy stored from daytime, to charge car at night).

I like the car, but the ideas really flawed IMO.

Also, whilst its free at the moment, if it took off in the UK, you can be assured the government would start charging.

Why dont you email tesla a diagram mate? So they know how to fix the issue
Balling
Premium Member

25th Mar 14 at 09:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have actually emailed Tesla my concerns. Geek, maybe, but better to raise in advance rather than wait until the environment is seriously injured.

John

25th Mar 14 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

25th Mar 14 at 09:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I'm sure they have worked this out, and their charger stations will probably use a combo of natural energy (wind, water, solar) - but who cares?

quote:

I'm sure people have been late for work for worst reasons, like idiots who don't put petrol in their car or set their alarms.

quote:

But you aren't paying for petrol or road tax? Insurance might even be cheaper so it will probably equal out at some point. You could even build your own little solar/wind farm at home

quote:

Just because all the energy isn't coming from solar/wind/water doesn't mean its a waste of time, we need companies like this to push the boundaries and make us think/live differently.

willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

25th Mar 14 at 09:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

btw cool pictures thanks for sharing!
John

25th Mar 14 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Daimo's figures also don't take into account that because it's a purely electric car, the tax incentives are massive and make it a completely different proposition.
whitter45

25th Mar 14 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gets a great review in evo

Looks a bit bland from the outside though
3CorsaMeal

25th Mar 14 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At work we are now developing housing that produce enough free electric to power an electric car
Ben G

25th Mar 14 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see they've incorporated the Samsung galaxy s5 into the dash. Nice.
taylorboosh

25th Mar 14 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling

I have actually emailed Tesla my concerns. Geek, maybe, but better to raise in advance rather than wait until the environment is seriously injured.

Dom

25th Mar 14 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Who pays the bill to the chargers? Telsa?

Tesla currently and they use solar to offset. Whether this will change with Tesla's popularity, who knows.

quote:
Who wants to wait 30 minutes to charge up?

As mentioned, Tesla does currently have a battery swap system which takes a few minutes - the video i posted shows them changing two batteries in the time it took to fill a petrol tank.
Although this is an area they're working on and they'll rapidly get the charging times down.

quote:
.....and it will cost a lot of money at home to charge on fast charge.

Currently it's less than a fiver to charge the Tesla from flat to full (300 mile range) and only takes four hours if you use the dual charger on three-phase.

Although i don't doubt however the government will find some way to tax the electricity used for charging, same as they've done with gas, with increased popularity. Similarly they'll do something similar with road tax.

[Edited on 25-03-2014 by Dom]
Robin
Premium Member

25th Mar 14 at 15:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you charge it on single phase?
Dom

25th Mar 14 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
Can you charge it on single phase?

Of course, similarly you can use the standard single charger but obviously it just takes longer.
Munchie

25th Mar 14 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just something I was wondering Flaffy_91........where are you going to charge it now that it is in your garage ? Am I missing the point that you can charge this from a mains supply or am I totally wrong?

Think I may of get my answer here........
http://www.teslamotors.com/en_GB/models/design

You can buy your own charging station? BOSS!

[Edited on 25-03-2014 by Munchie]
ed

25th Mar 14 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

After you've driven 300 miles, a 30min break would be very welcome. If you run it out on a short journey your as big a tit as the person who's 3hrs late for work because they ran out of petrol.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

25th Mar 14 at 18:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Munchie
Just something I was wondering Flaffy_91........where are you going to charge it now that it is in your garage ? Am I missing the point that you can charge this from a mains supply or am I totally wrong?

Think I may of get my answer here........
http://www.teslamotors.com/en_GB/models/design

You can buy your own charging station? BOSS!

[Edited on 25-03-2014 by Munchie]

Think you get a standard mains charger with it?
Don't quote me on that though as I didn't ask about that side of things hahaha

Looking at the build your own page there. The one I had, had every box ticked hahaha
Daimo B

25th Mar 14 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling

Ahhhhh but did you email it to Telsa?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Drove This Beauty Today *tessla inside* 23 database queries in 0.0160561 seconds