corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » new car - opinions...UPDATE - collected octavia Vrs

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author new car - opinions...UPDATE - collected octavia Vrs
Dr Pepper

User status: Offline
28th Mar 14 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a limit of £8k. to replace the RS Clio 200

Ideally I want a bigger car now - would be nice to get a road bike in the back and have 5 doors for the misses and her littlun. Three different kind of cars I am looking at ... all of them have there benefits

1 - Spend all of money on a like for like replacement. I have arranged viewing of a Megane F1 R26 from one of Jambo friends and it sounds mint: Stupidly low milage, liquid gold, well looked after ect. The down side of this is that I have just used all my savings on buying a house and would like to buy another one as a project with some friends. Im worried about running/repair costs of a car with no money in the bank saved for a rainy day. This was the reason I was thinking of downgrading my clio anyway and keeping some of the money in the bank. I am going to look at this one as well if it doesnt sell over the weekend
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/renault/renaultsport-megane/renault-megane-x84-p2-renaultsport-f1team-r26---------2008/2175448?isexperiment=true

2- Spend some of the money on a fun car - but something bigger, that I will enjoy and keep a couple of grand aside for future mechanical issues .... ie this audi that I am looking at tonight
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/audi/a4/2003-audi-a4-s4-quattro-stunning-big-spec-real-value-petrol-manual/2159620?isexperiment=true

I know the MPg will stink on that audi - but is that just a rediculous car to buy? It seems a hell of a lot of car for the money? Im assuming 90k miles is nothing on those? I would have a couple of thousand left in the bank but im thinking tires, brakes ect are not gonna be cheap on these. I dont have a long commute so mpg isnt the be all and end all - I am used to sub 30mpg from the clio

3- Spend a large chunk of the money on a mint turbo diesel ...most likely an octavia VRS. and enjoy a big car, with good mpg and bank a couple of thousand. This obviously ticks most boxes for me but I have never driven a VRS and im worried its gonna feel a bit lumpy after chucking a clio around ...anyone had one? Other cars that would fit this - BMW diesel touring estates - I know nothing about BMws apart from I like them. The 2nd hand market looks so confusing though.- minefield
Other diesel audis - tick a lot of boxes for me

other things on my radar are

Focus st(just cant make myself like the look of them) but seriously good value about 2nd hand
Mazda MPS - hard to find a good one
VW R32 - not many about at the mo but I do love the look of them
Scoobies - always loved them but interior is really dated
Seat Leon Cupra R - dont really excite me but they are serious value for money 2nd hand
Honda type r - Never thought of owning one but the red interior is lush on some of the ones im looking at

[Edited on 28-03-2014 by Dr Pepper]

[Edited on 01-04-2014 by Dr Pepper]

[Edited on 02-04-2014 by Dr Pepper]
dan_m1les

28th Mar 14 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was in a similar situation on the buying a house front, and sold my 2008 Civic Type R after the summer last year to release the cash and I spent half the money on a Astra SRi diesel.

After driving it for 6 months, I've realised that I miss the civic too much and am actually going to see a mint 2003 Civic tomorrow

If you got down option 3, be prepared! I wasn't!
Dr Pepper

28th Mar 14 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im really liking the look of the civics - never really occered to me until now but its a buyers market out there on hot hatches at the moment - some great deals about
3CorsaMeal

28th Mar 14 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All cars are crap and break and cost money to keep going.

I would get something you really like and worry about the rest later.

Have seen people at work buy a few year old, low mileage Audi/VW TDI and then they go wrong and end up costing even more money.

At least with something a bit older you can find alot of 2nd hand parts and advice from owners clubs.

I imagine a golf R32 to have a good owners club and plenty of upgrades and spares about. Decent engines that do the miles.

Mk4 R32's are a decent price now and if you buy a good'un and don't like it, it would be easy to sell.

They might get boring though, i don't see many long term owners of them. Running costs can be a bit high, road tax, fuel, insurance etc.

Anything seriously good value is normally for a reason, if they were fantastic things the price would be high and so would demand. Who wants an old focus ST, they make a new one every year or two..

Labour costs will be high on an audi V8, think you have to dismantle most of the engine bay to do small jobs.
3CorsaMeal

28th Mar 14 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I

To

Type

Spread

Out

BTW
boylers11

28th Mar 14 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say you can't get much more bang for your buck than with a Scooby. You'd get a decent spec one with your budget with some cash in your pocket left over.
The only tricky part would be finding a decent 'unabused' one with plenty of history.
The interior might be a bit dated and unfortunately, the image of them has been tainted by the yobs, but I reckon that's what I'd do, especially if it was only going to be for a couple of years.
If it's more of a long term car, I'd head for something VAG. As you said above, the Octavia ticks almost every box.

(I had a Scooby and now have a Fabia VRS so can see it from both angles)
dan_m1les

28th Mar 14 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Pepper
Im really liking the look of the civics - never really occered to me until now but its a buyers market out there on hot hatches at the moment - some great deals about

I imagine you are looking at a FN2? If so, make sure its a GT, and don't btoher with the Nav/Handfree option as its rubbish. You can't stream music either on the bluetooth.
Dr Pepper

28th Mar 14 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this looks interesting

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201402041556426/sort/default/onesearchad/used/model/impreza/radius/30/make/subaru/quicksearch/true/page/1/price-to/7000/price-from/4000/postcode/ox141ne/image-id/8df37706479c1dc16995ab7c3d8bc81e/usedcars?logcode=p
bighed

28th Mar 14 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nuff Said

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-VAUXHALL-VECTRA-2-0-T-SRi-HATCHBACK-MANUAL-PETROL-BLACK-MAPTUN-300BHP-/281290687168?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item417e3b42c0
Dr Pepper

28th Mar 14 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bighed
Nuff Said

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-VAUXHALL-VECTRA-2-0-T-SRi-HATCHBACK-MANUAL-PETROL-BLACK-MAPTUN-300BHP-/281290687168?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item417e3b42c0

sure they are fun but just dont do it for me
andys sxi
Premium Member

28th Mar 14 at 20:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A3 tdi s line sport back?

April 08 feature car
Nic Barnes

28th Mar 14 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bmw imho
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

28th Mar 14 at 20:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

silver astra coupe 02 plate imho
John

28th Mar 14 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bighed
Nuff Said

That's about double the realistic price.
John

28th Mar 14 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

R26 would be my choice out of those options.
kz

29th Mar 14 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/vauxhall/monaro/vauxhall-monaro-vxr--------------2004/2013148?isexperiment=true

382bhp should do the job
Toby
Premium Member

30th Mar 14 at 07:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
R26 would be my choice out of those options.

As would mine. Exhaust and remap and your looking at 265/270 bhp. Braided lines and some quality fluid and some good pads and that will entertain most people.
taylorboosh

30th Mar 14 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I too would buy megane at the min - love my clio and id imagine theyre even better
big eck

30th Mar 14 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mk2 Leon Cupra
deanmcreynolds26

30th Mar 14 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy the r26
Andrew

30th Mar 14 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham

No-one wants to buy your over priced car. There are better examples available, cheaper.

What you want for it and what people are willing to pay are two different things.

Sorry man x
taylorboosh

30th Mar 14 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham

No-one wants to buy your over priced car. There are better examples available, cheaper.

What you want for it and what people are willing to pay are two different things.

Sorry man x

Lol have you emailed him and offered £13.47 yet?
Dr Pepper

1st Apr 14 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So I nearly bought the 4.2v8 Audi, and was planning to to to drive the R26 Sunday .... But last night I went to test drive this......

http://www.ridgeway.co.uk/skoda/used-cars/14557/skoda-octavia/

To be honest I was impressed- the misses wants it and the thought of a bigger more practical car is really starting to appeal. So I have bought the skoda...

Got it for 8k(500 off list) 52k miles and mint condition with full service history from dealer. On top of that they are going to do a free service and change the cam belt for free. They are taxing it for a year from purchase. They are giving me 1 year warrantee and also giving me the next mot, the next minor service and the next major service all for free. That made it very tempting even though I'm paying a grand more than I could get them for private.

I'm pretty chuffed really - they are nice cars out of the box but for under £2k you can get coilovers and a stage 2 pack which takes them up to 280bhp and really turns it into something special. Also plan on some nice wheels at some point - standard are ok but they look great on Audi rims

[Edited on 01-04-2014 by Dr Pepper]
Steve
Premium Member

1st Apr 14 at 10:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice car, id be wanting a grand of that price mind
whitter45

1st Apr 14 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thnk you will regret that over a long period of time /or get bored of it easily

They don't wear well as the miles crack on but a good car

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » new car - opinions...UPDATE - collected octavia Vrs 23 database queries in 0.0165560 seconds