corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Scary experiences at work?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Scary experiences at work?
Tiger

User status: Offline
8th Jul 14 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A few years ago I was working in Whitleys shopping centre in Bayswater installing the then 'Food Inc' counters which have since been removed as they went out of business.

We were moving some 8' x 4' sheets of 20mm toughened glass with suction cups when all of a sudden it exploded like a bomb, showering safety glass about a 40ft radius. The shops all thought a bomb had gone off and pressed the alarm buttons. I looked down at where the glass was and noticed my arms suddenly weeping from tiny glass cuts and the lad next to me with a big scallop of flesh missing from his leg.

Needless to say, I fucking hate toughened glass now and won't go near it at work!
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Jul 14 at 17:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Our new office suite in Atlanta is going to be on the 31st floor, with floor to ceiling glass on every wall.

I felt sick as a dog first time I went up there, and palms are sweating now just thinking about it

Does that count?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

8th Jul 14 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An engine fell off a robotic arm causing a lot of damage. It was dropped from about 5ft high so yeah, quite a sight. Nothing too dramatic though. Theres a lot of H&S in place which prevents pretty much everything.

[Edited on 08-07-2014 by Ben G]
Bart

8th Jul 14 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I once forgot to take my lunch to work
ShEp

8th Jul 14 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A 100ton sling breaking

Made some noise.
Aaron

8th Jul 14 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of my manager once came in and WASN'T a cunt.

[Edited on 08-07-2014 by Aaron]
3CorsaMeal

8th Jul 14 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Computer mouse felt a bit gritty so turned it over and got the laser beam right in the eye. Thought it was a sniper so got under the desk before realising my mistake.
Graeme
Premium Member

8th Jul 14 at 17:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First bodyshop I worked a oxysetaline bottle exploded whilst I was in a booth. Thought the world had ended it was that loud and shook the floor and building, ripped a hole in the wall where it was sitting next to.

Luckily no one was near and there was only a small amount of gas in it and a small bottle.

Any kind of gas bottle makes me a tad nervous now.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

8th Jul 14 at 17:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engine falling off crane due to a chain snapping.
Before I had a job in the garage I'm currently in. I was in the garage talking to a mate under a car, when the car slipped off the ramp pad on one corner.
Never have I shit myself so much. Thought I was going to be crushed by a car haha
sc0ott

8th Jul 14 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got the 'fatal error' message on autocad. Meant the program closed without me being able to save my work. Used the recover command to get back most of my work.
Not so fatal afterall.

[Edited on 08-07-2014 by sc0ott]
RichR
Premium Member

8th Jul 14 at 17:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dropped a boat on a car park when the lift beam slipped
djgritt
Premium Member

8th Jul 14 at 18:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had one of our Gas burners ignite outside of it's air casing - flame emitting from a 3" Gas supply was a bit brown pants, and I've never ran to an E-Stop as fast in my life.

Lucky, no major damage and no injuries, oh and no H&S reporting due to it occurring overseas. The workers just reseated the pipe joint into the Burner and we cracked on with the commissioning.
Steve
Premium Member

8th Jul 14 at 18:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some fucking weirdo once shit all over the floor and threw it all over the walls aswell as filling the toilet up with sodden shit stained toilet paper
JayCarr

8th Jul 14 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nearly got hit by a train doing 100+ mph a few years back. Massive brown pants moment.

Few weeks ago went on track after being told the current was off, but it was actually on. Was using a metal tape, very lucky not to touch the con rail with it other wise I'd probably be dead. Think the bloke got sacked for letting us on track without properly checking the power.
Danny W
Organiser: East Midlands
Premium Member

8th Jul 14 at 18:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Toughened glass is the worst!
Was working on a new build in Coventry which had toughened glass on the balcony, I was walking directly underneath it when a section shattered, it went with such a bang and sent the glass in a 20-30 foot radius, the main section came crashing down missing me by a couple of feet... I shat myself!

Used a Stihl Saw in a playground to cut out a section of Tarmac. One of the Lads on site had previously changed over to a diamond blade .. Bolt came loose and the blade popped off. I luckily saw it wobble and jammed the saw down into the cut as quick as I could which stopped it shooting off in the direction of the pupils.

Tipped a brand new Jcb digger over.. Glass cab no
Seatbelt .. Had a bit of a headache after that

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
oceansoul

8th Jul 14 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a Chlorine gas leak at work once. Had to go in wearing BA to find and isolate the leak. Pretty nerve-wrecking.
nibnob21
Premium Member

8th Jul 14 at 19:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was with a guy when he had a heart attack at an Agricultural Engineering company I worked for in 2008/09.

At the same place one guy nearly lost his fingers when constructing a new mezzanine floor when one of the main metal beams was being moved into place, slipped and crushed his hand. The same place had a blatant disregard for the employees' health and safety. Since getting more experience elsewhere, in hindsight the place was a complete joke and I can't believe how bad it actually was with regards to lack of giving a shit about the well-being of the workers.

MX5 Project Thread
GB123
Premium Member

8th Jul 14 at 19:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was a passenger in a defender towing a trailer when it spun 180 degrees
shaunmods
Premium Member

8th Jul 14 at 20:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got trapped in a lift in an empty block of flats when I did some work for a building company which was pretty damn scary. It was nearly two hours before the lift people got to me and the lad I was with. When they managed to get the door open I had to climb out of the smallest gap ever as the lift had gone about 3/4 of the way past the stop. All I could think as I was trying to climb out was if this starts working again now I'm going to get chopped in half
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Jul 14 at 20:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by shaunmods
Got trapped in a lift in an empty block of flats when I did some work for a building company which was pretty damn scary. It was nearly two hours before the lift people got to me and the lad I was with. When they managed to get the door open I had to climb out of the smallest gap ever as the lift had gone about 3/4 of the way past the stop. All I could think as I was trying to climb out was if this starts working again now I'm going to get chopped in half

Speed

We've got a right rickity old lift in the UK, gets stuck at least monthly.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Bonney

8th Jul 14 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Coming down windy hill on the M62 in the truck fully loaded in the rain. Seen the traffic up ahead backing up so started to brake when all the brake warning lights lit up on the dash. Luckily hard shoulder was empty and managed to slow down using the gears and engine brake. Turned out to be a faulty sensor on the trailer that caused it.

[Edited on 08-07-2014 by Bonney]
johnny86
Premium Member

8th Jul 14 at 20:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My worst moment I dropped my scaffold spanner 60ft hit the safety fan bounced off hit a woman on the head. Needless the say she was knocked out. My public lialiability went up and I lost my job
Cavey

8th Jul 14 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got bit by a dog
Tiger

8th Jul 14 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by johnny86
My worst moment I dropped my scaffold spanner 60ft hit the safety fan bounced off hit a woman on the head. Needless the say she was knocked out. My public lialiability went up and I lost my job

Jambo

8th Jul 14 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not dangerous but had to kick a downsie out my shop for openly masterbating on the shop floor to our adult section dvd's

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Scary experiences at work? 23 database queries in 0.0442801 seconds