corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Excel Date Autoconvert Frustration!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Excel Date Autoconvert Frustration!
dannymccann

User status: Offline
   9th Jul 14 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doing my nut in, and no amount of Googling is helping...

I get given an .xlsx sheet in a set format which I need to save as a CSV file so the accounting system can upload it.

My problem is the accounting system has to have bank sort codes entered as ##-##-##, and whenever I 'Save As' CSV and open the CSV to check the contents it's turning certain sort codes into dates

quote:

11-04-60 becomes 11/04/1960

This then throws up stupid errors all over the place and is generally a royal PITA. I've tried all sorts of cell formatting on the xlsx sheet before Saving As (Text, General, custom format 00-00-00) but nothing is working. I've even tried ' in front of the sort code, it doesnt work, but even if it did I cant be doing it hundreds of times every week.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have access to Excel 2003 or 2010 (2 different systems at work), I don't care which one it works on!
Dom

9th Jul 14 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check the CSV file within Notepad/Notepad++ (or similar) as you'll probably find the contents is correct, as it's likely Excel is attempting to reformat the cell data when you load the CSV file.
evilrob
Premium Member

9th Jul 14 at 14:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Find/replace hyphen with em-dash in source CSV using Notepad before opening in Excel?

To type an em-dash, hit Alt+0151
evilrob
Premium Member

9th Jul 14 at 14:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh hang on, I think I've misunderstood the issue - is the problem that when you SAVE an Excel file as a CSV, your correctly-formatted sort codes get mangled into Dates?
evilrob
Premium Member

9th Jul 14 at 15:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If so, I reckon Dom is spot on - the actual CSV file will be fine, it's only upon reopening it to check in Excel that the sort codes get bollocksed.
dannymccann

10th Jul 14 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm thinking you guys are right. When I loaded the unopened CSV file into my software it seems to have gone alright.

Such an annoyance though! Cheers
Matt L

12th Jul 14 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was always under the impression csv's held no formatting so regardless of what format it was in when its opened once its closed its gone anyway.

New Poll