corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Contracting alongside a 9-5 job

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Contracting alongside a 9-5 job
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
22nd Jul 14 at 16:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I start a new job on 01st October and my new bosses have both suggested and agreed that in order to maintain a foothold in the marine industry, I offer a contracting service in the first instance to my present employers which I would be able to do outside of normal working hours and without affecting my new job role.

Are there any issues with only contacting to one company? I was always under the impression that you had to contract to more than one customer. Also, what are the implications of earning PAYE in my 9-5 and invoicing for the contracting-just complete a self assessment?
Cavey

22nd Jul 14 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A buttload of Tax I'd imagine?
Steve
Premium Member

22nd Jul 14 at 17:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So basically they want you to work 24/7 lol. Perhaps not sucha ggood idea after all working for your mate
Ben J

22nd Jul 14 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is new job outside of Marine then???

RichR
Premium Member

22nd Jul 14 at 17:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep
Ben J

22nd Jul 14 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spill....
RichR
Premium Member

22nd Jul 14 at 17:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Contracting is purely for my gain, not the new job - although keeping my current contacts might be good in the future. I'd limit to 6-8 hours a week as well.
Steve
Premium Member

22nd Jul 14 at 17:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RichR
my new bosses have both suggested and agreed that in order to maintain a foothold in the marine industry

Sounds like they suggested it and very much for their gain too, unless you worded it badly
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

22nd Jul 14 at 17:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should be paid more and there isn't an issue all depends how you get paid. Paye or invoicing etc
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Jul 14 at 17:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shouldn't cost you any more tax than if it was one job, the second one would effectively be an emergency code as you've already used up your code in the main job, but as you're probably going to a return at the end of the year, that wouldn't be an issue anyway.

Just put a percentage aside from the contracts and pay that when your return goes in.

If you're already near or over the threshold it'll be at a fair whack but no more than if you just had a raise in one position.

Plus you will probably get some expenses you can offset although they should be proportional to the amount of work the contracting venture represents.

So far as I know the problem with contracting to one customer is more to do with employee obligations than tax although you probably need some advice on that, I know its certainly a special case as it effectively gets round employing you "properly" in what is now the second job.

[Edited on 22-07-2014 by Ian]
RichR
Premium Member

22nd Jul 14 at 17:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
quote:
Originally posted by RichR
my new bosses have both suggested and agreed that in order to maintain a foothold in the marine industry

Sounds like they suggested it and very much for their gain too, unless you worded it badly

Worded badly, I proposed it knowing that I'll be leaving quite a void at my existing job, they were happy for me to do it so long as it doesn't affect my capacity to work and subsequently we discussed it in detail and realised long term it could be beneficial to both me and the company to have an in road into the marine industry.
RichR
Premium Member

22nd Jul 14 at 17:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

None of this has been discussed with my current employer as my notice isn't going in until Monday; I just have to decide whether to discuss it with them now or after I've left.

[Edited on 22-07-2014 by RichR]
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Jul 14 at 17:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any reason why you want to contract? They can keep you on PAYE, although it gets complicated if you're close to the DO threshold and the second job puts you over it.

First job 1000L
Second job BR1

^^ if you're under and will stay under.

First job 1000L
Second job DO1

^^ if you're already over.
RichR
Premium Member

22nd Jul 14 at 18:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not sure my old place would have me as PAYE purely as they'd never want to be the 'second job', also it's not something I'm reliant on so I like the option to walk away should I need to.

[Edited on 22-07-2014 by RichR]
pow
Premium Member

22nd Jul 14 at 20:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You end up working all hours under the sun and I have stages where I spend a couple of weeks working 8-5 Monday to Friday at the school, 5 - 11 Monday to Friday elsewhere, then will be in one office on Saturday and a different one on sunday. Weekends are usually on your own as well. I'd approach it with caution.

I do a return so I pay tax minus a few expenses.

[Edited on 22-07-2014 by pow]
Andrew

23rd Jul 14 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When we were trying to get the deposit together for our house i did some additional contracting work. Ended up working 7 days a week: 7am - 11pm Mon - Fri and 10am - 7pm on the weekends.

You only live once and life is too short. I will work the odd weekend but only if there's decent money involved. I don't really want to work every single weekend as there is more to life! Other thing you start doing is just eating crap... ordering takeaways, McDonalds etc.
RichR
Premium Member

24th Jul 14 at 06:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New job isn't technically 9-5; I have to work 37.5hrs per week but have a degree of flexibility on start and finish times, finish early on a Friday and also have to work every third Saturday 8-1. My current contract is 42.5hours plus between 10-15 hours a week commuting, excluding all the times I work away. New job should be 2.5hours a week commuting and barely any working away so, as long as I'm sensible with the contracting hours I offer, I should still end up with more free time but earning more money than I would otherwise.

It's not something I'm going to do in the first 2/3 months after leaving as I want to get set up in the new job but once I'm up and running, I'll consider it more carefully.
pow
Premium Member

24th Jul 14 at 07:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For once, Andrew has spoken some sense - my diet has gone to pot as I'm eating what's easy. Why did I buy this house?
Ian W

24th Jul 14 at 07:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
For once, Andrew has spoken some sense - my diet has gone to pot as I'm eating what's easy. Why did I buy this house?

Must be a common problem, work all day, all evening working on my house, eat crap 24/7
RichR
Premium Member

24th Jul 14 at 07:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow

I'm similar with my house currently, either don't bother to eat like last night where all I had was sawdust and plaster for my tea or get takeaway, pot noodles or convenience foods - still keep losing weight though.
DaveyLC

24th Jul 14 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll instantly be paying the higher rate of tax on your contract work.. Total waste of time.

If you want to contract while earning maximum money the best way is to be a limited company.
RichR
Premium Member

24th Jul 14 at 16:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What contractor hourly rate are you thinking of though for it to be not worth it? Without this becoming a willy waving thread, I already pay higher rate tax so you may be onto something with the ltd status. I'd need, in the short term at least, to see if it was worth it though.
pow
Premium Member

24th Jul 14 at 17:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
You'll instantly be paying the higher rate of tax on your contract work.. Total waste of time.

If you want to contract while earning maximum money the best way is to be a limited company.

Dave that's not strictly correct, you just add your two incomes together (less expenses for your self employed stuff) then apply the normal tax bands, first 10k tax free, 10-40ishk 20%, after that 40%
pow
Premium Member

24th Jul 14 at 17:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh perhaps I should read the thread first
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Jul 14 at 18:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's similar to suggesting that overtime is a waste of time when you're already up there, and lots of people do that.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Contracting alongside a 9-5 job 22 database queries in 0.0209241 seconds