corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Jerry Cans

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Jerry Cans
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
18th Aug 14 at 12:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At Blyton Park, on a specific corner below a specific fuel level - I get fuel sloshing around in my tank and as a result, I get a sudden loss of power unless I back off through that corner.

There are a few anti-surge options for my car, all seem to lack a unanimous opinion of success other than a swirl pot and external pump setup. I may go the swirlpot route in future if/when the car gets relegated to full time track car but for now the obvious and easiest solution is to just keep the tank above 45%ish on the gauge.

Blyton specifically is a bit of a pain with regards to finding 99RON fuel, but I normally fill up during the lunch hour and then dip below 50% on the gauge at about 160, making my last two runs of the day (and probably last run before lunch) subject to the surging.

15-20litres extra should cure that, plus I can use the Jerry Can mid morning and fill it up along with the tank at lunch.

I went into Halfords late on Friday prior to my latest trip to Blyton on Saturday with the intention of picking up a 20l can, but then saw it covered in stickers saying it wasn't legal to carry that much fuel!

I went home empty handed, and hit Google - to find a load of forum posts in various places across about 10years (in which laws may have changed) but it seems to be that the rule is not actually for transporting fuel - but for storing it. By the time I'd read that, it was too late to go get a can, so I went to the track day and suffered.

As my googling has been inconclusive, what's the opinion on CS? If it's legal to fill and carry the 20l can just to the track - it's perfect, I don't need to store it at home or keep it in the car any longer than a 40mile trip. Even if it's Illegal, it seems like an unlikely thing to get pulled up on - but I'd be more concerned with invalidating insurance and stuff like that in the event of an incident.

The 5L plastic tubs which ARE clearly legal to both transport and store seem a waste of time.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
John

18th Aug 14 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't have cared about the stickers.

Got a few army style cans for lawmower/strimmer full of either unleaded or 2 stroke.
pow
Premium Member

18th Aug 14 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd personally just get a 20l metal green can, fill it with 99RON and be done with it. I still fill them up for work for various petrol powered machinery here.
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Aug 14 at 12:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

I really shouldn't have in hindsight, but I was thinking about the reaction on the forecourt - would they call me out on it?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
3CorsaMeal

18th Aug 14 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have to fill them somewhere.
Brett
Premium Member

18th Aug 14 at 12:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:
Originally posted by John

I really shouldn't have in hindsight, but I was thinking about the reaction on the forecourt - would they call me out on it?

I'd like to see them ask you to put it back
--ToM--

18th Aug 14 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work in a classic car garage and the cars don't often go out on the public roads so to fuel them up we have to bring the fuel here regularly we fill between 4 and 6 20l army style cans in the petrol station and not once have we been questioned about it
Generation

18th Aug 14 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I were you I'd take my car to petrol stafion, put jerry can behind car out of sight, then fill it up.
9/10 nobody will give a shit. If you get somebody moaning plead ignorance, and go to the next station.
Ben G

18th Aug 14 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above. Buy 20l can, take it to a tesco pay at pump place and fill it up behind the car if you're that worried.

As Brett said, what are they gonna do? Ask you to put it back?
3CorsaMeal

18th Aug 14 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what i mean, where else do people fill these 20l cans you can buy?

Its not like many people have a private pump.
Ben G

18th Aug 14 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bet you have a cock pump.
ianofbhills

18th Aug 14 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use a plastic 20l fuel container made by VP for my motorbike track days. You can get them from demon tweeks/ eBay.
They have a long nozzle that I find easier to use to pour into the tank then the metal jerry cans.
Never had any bother at filling stations or elsewhere.

[Edited on 18-08-2014 by ianofbhills]
flybikeslee

18th Aug 14 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

never had an issue either.

i had similar issues with the walbro255 pump not sitting correctly in the octavia tank, standard one had no issues....
3CorsaMeal

18th Aug 14 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
I bet you have a cock pump.

ed

18th Aug 14 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We buy and store petrol in 20l jerry cans for use on our farm all the time - Have done it for over 15 years with no issues, just fill them up at a local petrol station.
3CorsaMeal

18th Aug 14 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they kick off just start tipping it over the floor.
Ben G

18th Aug 14 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think trying to tip it back into the nozzle would be far better.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

18th Aug 14 at 15:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have 2 of the 20l cans that i use some of the time, depends on the track
Wrighty

18th Aug 14 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

buy said 20L jerry can, take stickers off cant see how its illegal when people have to fill them for race bike meets and cart them to tracks and so on? and why would a petty station stop you buying fuel?

fcuk da police
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Aug 14 at 18:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.hse.gov.uk/cdg/manual/commonproblems/petrol.htm
SXI - Matt

18th Aug 14 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having ran a fuel site looking out for the correct regulation jerry can is the least of there worries. We had people jump starting cars next to cars filling up, smoking next to the pump ect. I doubt they'd even notice .
AK

19th Aug 14 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

feck the law....

Just buy a couple of 20l jerry cans from Aldi/Costco for £15each... and a Hopkirk pump for quick/clean refueling.

We regularly cart about 100l of fuel in jerry cans
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Aug 14 at 19:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK OK, thanks team - I get it, I'll just ignore the stickers next time

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
corsadonk
Premium Member

19th Aug 14 at 21:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I spent last week driving round Europe with 20l full of petrol in the back, I even did a few laps round the ring with it.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Jerry Cans 23 database queries in 0.0156138 seconds