corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Estate Cars - only thing big enough is a Mondeo...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Estate Cars - only thing big enough is a Mondeo...
dannymccann

User status: Offline
30th Aug 14 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will be changing the Megane either at MOT time in October when/if it fails on something big, or early spring '15, because the windows and air con dont work and it's a horrible place to be when it's warm It isn't worth fixing because IMO it will only go wrong again

Here's the list of requirements:
- less than £8k, 08/58+, not bothered about mileage, as long as high milers have been motorway munchers, not bothered about creature comforts - as long as anything electrical works
- something with nice supportive seats, wife complains to high heaven about the Renault being uncomfortable (I could fall asleep in it however )
- massive boot, preferably with split back seats as my son will permanently occupy one of them, car will be used for personal and business purposes as a load lugger and also needs to fit a big dog cage in
- 2l diesel or less (the 1.5 in my Megane is perfectly adequate with 80bhp) for the economy, min 6 gears for long distances, cruise would be nice
- cam chain engine, not particularly interested in entertaining engines with belts after 5 faultless years with my Astra and one less thing to pay for, not a deal breaker though
- would like a 'prestige' (ish) brand, for a change from Vaux, Ford, Renault etc - know a mechanic so 'brand markup' shouldn't be an issue with servicing and repairs

Can't think of anything else right now.

I've got several options that I've looked at
Golf - not big enough, only thing in this class that is is another Megane

3 series - as above

Accord - seem rareish and a lot round here are used as taxis

X-Type - I like them but wife thinks they are grandad cars (plus basically a Mondeo underneath?)

Koreans - not keen on the styling apart from the Ceed, but that isnt big enough

Can anyone offer me suitable suggestions contrary to the 520d? Or argue against it?

Couple of poor pictures of the new un, at least it's clean

[Edited on 29-09-2014 by dannymccann]
Nic Barnes

30th Aug 14 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

T5 transporter day van IMHO
djgritt
Premium Member

30th Aug 14 at 12:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281269004193

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121335836752

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161395603676

First port of call for me with that Age/Price range.

[Edited on 30-08-2014 by djgritt]
dannymccann

30th Aug 14 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't want a van Nic!

Thought about Octavia, didn't think to look for the VRS version, the normal one looks kinda boring
ChazSXi

30th Aug 14 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A4 2.0 TDi 170 S Line?
dannymccann

30th Aug 14 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A4 wouldn't be big enough, thinking the A6 avant might be though
ChazSXi

30th Aug 14 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A4-AVANT-2-0TDI-170BHP-S-LINE-SPECIAL-EDITION-6-SPEED-SAT-NAV-LEATHER-57-/261574316198?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3ce70b50a6

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/08-AUDI-A4-AVANT-S-LINE-BLACK-EDITION-2-0-170-BHP-TDI-SAT-NAV-FULL-LEATHER-FSH-/171435877270?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item27ea5fe396
ChazSXi

30th Aug 14 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oopps just read above!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-08-AUDI-A6-AVANT-2-0TDI-S-LINE-6-SPEED-114K-/251581703484?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a9370253c
dannymccann

30th Aug 14 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks nice but over budget, 8 is very very top, can't spend more than that until I get a promotion!

The car I've found on AT is this

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201408266882725
Graeme
Premium Member

30th Aug 14 at 16:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Octavia estate.

Boot is big. Good, comfy etc. The size difference in a a4 and a6 size isn't a huge amount to warrant the extra cost imo.
dannymccann

30th Aug 14 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea I've not sat in any of these cars yet, almost scared to roll up to a dealership in the current wheels

Reading absolute horror stories about the N47 BMW engines in this age 5 series which is properly putting me off them now
VegasPhil
Premium Member

30th Aug 14 at 19:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Passats seem cheap compared to VRS, A4 etc.

The Sports look really nice also.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
recarouk

30th Aug 14 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Superbs are awesome motors, basically a Passat underneath

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-SKODA-SUPERB-2-0-TDI-CR-170-Elegance-5dr-DSG-/251624583069?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a95fe6f9d

haggle and that should come on budget, if you dont like the cream then theres a few to choose from

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-SKODA-SUPERB-1-9-TDI-PD-SE-5dr-/181487191922?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a417ac772

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Superb-1-9TDI-PD-S-/301238347291?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item462334661b

dannymccann

30th Aug 14 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That first Superb looks nice - Passat is a good shout too

VAG TDi's then which one, 1.9 or 2.0? I know in the old mk4 Golf's it was always the PD150 everyone went for

edit - the 1.6 blue appears to be in budget as well...lower tax, higher mpg and same power output as the 1.9, seems a no brainer unless I'm missing something

[Edited on 30-08-2014 by dannymccann]
recarouk

30th Aug 14 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PD130 was the one to go for in the MK4, the 150's had the chocolate camshaft problem.

think most of the 2.0PD's from 08+ were sorted, didnt have the pourous head problems the earlier ones did, so its all down to what you prefer i guess
deano87

31st Aug 14 at 07:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Octavia isn't too different space wise to a Golf estate.

Superb is what you want. Huge amounts of rear passenger space.
dannymccann

13th Sep 14 at 05:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, having spent yesterday finally getting found some show rooms with the tape measure the only car with a big enough boot is the Mondeo, which just so happens to be my favourite out of all of them anyway.

Going to test drive this today

2012, 60k, 2.0tdci black Zetec Business Edition (nice spec including front and rear sensors, touchscreen sat nav etc), alloys with 4 pretty new tyres, pretty much spotless from the look round yesterday.

It's up at just shy of £11k, which blows the budget somewhat but it's proving quite difficult to find decent comparisons, and Parker's won't give free valuations anymore without due stupid sign up stuff.

That price is from an independent dealer, not Ford affiliated.

I think that price is relatively decent but not 100%, comments?
Eck
Premium Member

13th Sep 14 at 06:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be looking at a Volvo tbh. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/volvo/v50/used-volvo-v50-2-0d-se-sport-5dr-chester-fpa-201409127339975

Although it's not a chain, but changing the timing and aux belt is every 10 years, or 100,000 miles.
taylorboosh

13th Sep 14 at 07:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Insignia?
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

13th Sep 14 at 07:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

look at the state of the interior of that volvo
DaveyLC

13th Sep 14 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why don't you look at some cross-over type cars? You get so much more room plus the re-sale values are better.. Estate cars are a bit marmite at the moment.

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
look at the state of the interior of that volvo

Got to love a Volvo without seeing the number plate its almost impossible to tell how old they are because they all look so bloody dated!
dannymccann

13th Sep 14 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haven't managed to get to see an Insignia boot yet but from looking at pictures the boot doesn't look square which is no good, got to be square with no or very little wheel arch intrusion. The V50 looks nice but the boot isn't big enough. For reference the boot needs to measure 1m deep x 1m wide minimum, which is what the Megane is right now and we just about cope with that!

Looked at cross overs - Qashqai is too small, Sportage laughably so. They are nice to look at and as you say hold value well but not big enough with seats still up.

Can't find an SMax locally within budget that's any good, saw an 09 yesterday but was older spec and felt poverty and was tatty.

Octavia is too small and interior feels cheap and horrible, but I do like the centre console screen jobby - not managed to see a Superb though.

Can't find a Passat for looking at a dealer here in Lincoln, there's a few in Leicester so might have to be a weekend trip over there
DaveyLC

13th Sep 14 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Skoda Yeti? Its an acquired taste I know ..

I recently bought a Viano, I can vouch for that having the biggest boot you've ever seen
dannymccann

13th Sep 14 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No vans! Galaxy world be alright but don't really need to be spending the premium for the extra seats I don't need.

I like the Yeti but missus won't entertain it at all.

And before someone says it, don't want a Berlingo

DaveyLC

13th Sep 14 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

R class Mercedes?

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Estate Cars - only thing big enough is a Mondeo... 23 database queries in 0.0167129 seconds