corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » DIESEL or PETROL New Car Choice FOCUS ST

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author DIESEL or PETROL New Car Choice FOCUS ST
SXI - Matt

User status: Offline
25th Feb 15 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok so had originally ordered a Diesel ST-3 In black no style pack, it's a company car but I will be purchasing at the end of the lease (3 months) internal ford company car basically.

Now I started to think I'd made a bad decision going for the diesel as my millage has dropped ect so this is the perfect time to re order a petrol if it works out better (:censored: up internally means I need to re order)

So I currently do roughly 45 miles a day tops to work mainly single carriage way but not stop start traffic constant flow bar the odd roundabout ect.

Taking insurance, tax ect in to play what's the best way to calculate what will actually work out better, bearing in mind the car is exactly the same price to buy.

If diesel isn't a massive saving I'll re order the petrol :-) or stick with a diesel if it will infact save me money.
Ben G

25th Feb 15 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definitely go for the petrol.

The diesel might gain a cult following, similar to the Mondeo st tdci, but it's not a focus st imo, more a gap in the market between the 1.6 diesel and the petrol st.

My mate has ordered an st3 in stealth grey. I want one but I want to wait and see what the colour is like first.
whitter45

25th Feb 15 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really depends how much you intend to use it

From what I have read the petrol is thirsty and would do my head constantly being at the pumps but I do 500+ miles a week

For me if I doidnt do that mileage I would have to still battle with myself around running costs as you don't want to get to a point where you don't want to use the car for large mileage because of running costs

A car is to be used so if yum can accept short range to a tank and don't mind the fuel bills it has to be petrol

[Edited on 25-02-2015 by whitter45]
Ben G

25th Feb 15 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll get 30mpg from it no problem.
SXI - Matt

25th Feb 15 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only thing putting me off is the MPG I know I'd be at the pumps more but then it's a smaller tank then the diesel and cheaper per LTR I think I need to try and work out exactly what it would cost a year on work millage and see what the difference between the 2 is.

Having driven the PFL ST it wasn't overall bad on fuel on a steady run, I remember going to Birmingham and back 4 up and getting home to be surprised how much fuel it actually used (in a good way)

My worry is i don't want to get the diesel and find out rely I could of had the petrol for similar costs to run it.

I'm also batteling with the thought of long journeys and if I'd be afraid to take it due to fuel, but then you only live once

Funny when I ordered it and it all went though (you can't amend at this point) I wish I got the petrol, now I actually can im not sure
whitter45

25th Feb 15 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing is if you do short journeys then you will not see good Economy from the derv

My derv takes nearly 15 mins to get up to temperature and that's not taking it easy and only when oil temps are above 80 does it start to give good Economy

Short journeys will kill the derv

Tough call as my mileage dictates derv
whitter45

25th Feb 15 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Petrol will also make a come back IMO

The emissions regs mean dervs will need some serious investment to comply and petrols are become economical now
SXI - Matt

25th Feb 15 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah see I will be doing around 10,500 miles a year just to work add a couple of thousand for personal use Id say 13,500(ish) all in.

Trying to work out the best way to see what ones works out better on that millage. Is it best to work out the pence per mile?

Was trying to work out how to calculate cost if I know it averaged 30mpg and I do 13,500 with current fuel prices...
SXI - Matt

25th Feb 15 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So rough calculations with current petrol prices means it'll only be £300 a year more with my millage (very rough I guess) so £5 a week :-/ that way isn't bad actually
whitter45

25th Feb 15 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly derv come into their own if your doing double that mileage

Tax is probably cheaper though so factor probably another 100 on top of that

Either way 400 a year is worth it for a better driving experience IMO

Jambo

25th Feb 15 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

having a modern petrol turbo engine I can assure you the huger mpg claims are possible but that's if you drive like miss daisy
Ben G

25th Feb 15 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45

The emissions regs mean dervs will need some serious investment to comply and petrols are become economical now

I work in a diesel engine plant and the government are piling hundreds of millions into it. Modern Diesels are massively better in terms of pollutants, economy and emissions nowadays.

I'd be very surprised if petrol makes a come back tbh.
random dav
Premium Member

26th Feb 15 at 05:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Petrol, you dont do enough miles imo. So glad I dont have to worry about mpg, etc anymore.

WRLFC !

Project cars
3CorsaMeal

26th Feb 15 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Petrol is the new diesel
taylorboosh

26th Feb 15 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
quote:

I work in a diesel engine plant and the government are piling hundreds of millions into it. Modern Diesels are massively better in terms of pollutants, economy and emissions nowadays.

I'd be very surprised if petrol makes a come back tbh.

Was going to say - the mrs derv poli has free tax, cant be bad on emmisions and thats 5 years old
whitter45

26th Feb 15 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with that

However the regulations are getting tighter and tighter with every revision

the cost of exhaust after-treatment systems for the upcoming EU6.1 and EU6.2. The latter has more onerous limits on emissions of NOx and particulates.

It is much cheaper to get petrol engines through EU6.2; with diesel engines we need technology such as selective catalyst reduction systems, and costs increase again with heavier vehicles
3CorsaMeal

26th Feb 15 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its been on the telly, diesel was a con, that honda advert was a lie, petrol is better and we should all be driving petrol engines.
3CorsaMeal

26th Feb 15 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oih9UHP28c
Ben G

26th Feb 15 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I agree with that

However the regulations are getting tighter and tighter with every revision

the cost of exhaust after-treatment systems for the upcoming EU6.1 and EU6.2. The latter has more onerous limits on emissions of NOx and particulates.

It is much cheaper to get petrol engines through EU6.2; with diesel engines we need technology such as selective catalyst reduction systems, and costs increase again with heavier vehicles

Very true. We're rolling out the EU6 stuff atm. Very advanced and pretty cool tbh.

We were on EU4 when I started here 8 years ago. Amazing how quick things change.
SXI - Matt

26th Feb 15 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I'm going to go for the petrol, strangely the other order is now due next week so we will end up with a diesel and petrol one... Typical but thankfully both cars are up for re order so I'll have the petrol (once I've fully decided) and my dad will have the diesel as his company car.

There really isn't a massive amount in it running cost wise for my use so I think I may regret not getting the petrol every time some one flys past me in one
Ben G

1st Mar 15 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in ford now picking up the Fiesta and just heard the new diesel focus st. Sounds absolutely shit, like an old Mondeo

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » DIESEL or PETROL New Car Choice FOCUS ST 23 database queries in 0.0138750 seconds