corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Steering System Excessively Rough.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Steering System Excessively Rough.
Tiger

User status: Offline
23rd Mar 15 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very vague description of a failure on my Vans MOT today. It's just a noisy pump, has no effect on the steering when the vehicle is moving.

People saying it could be air in the PAS system.

Either way, you'd think they'd have to fail it in a specific part rather than the 'system' since there's no decisive way to test the steering so long as it drives safely and with no risk to other rod users and myself?

Either way, new pumps about £80 so the shopping list begins
--ToM--

24th Mar 15 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are checking for safety and weather it's roadworthy they won't spend the time diagnosing the actual faulty component, down to the disgresion of the tester what goes down as advisorys/fails etc but they have to cover their own backs as they would be liable if your steering failed and you crashed and caused serious injury or death etc and he had just passed it as ok lol
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Mar 15 at 21:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Noisy pump could be a few things.

You got bubbles in the tank? Air in the system is normally being introduced by a leak which is then mixed around makes the tank look like milkshake.

Could also be bearings on the pump, can you get the belt off and have a feel?
djgritt
Premium Member

24th Mar 15 at 21:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Vectra made some horrific rough sounding noises through the PAS System a while back - it was air in the system/low fluid level...
--ToM--

24th Mar 15 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pas fluid always looks throffy in the reservoir after running, air in the system or not
Tiger

25th Mar 15 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's going in for some work so will have it resolved.

It's been through 4 MOT's and never even been an advisory before, at the same garage, and the noise has always been there since I've owned it, never once affected the handling or steering and I've done a good few thousand miles in it.
SVM 286

25th Mar 15 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Strange. Different inspector this time?

What van have you got Tiger?
Tiger

26th Mar 15 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

T4 Transporter.

Yeah, 3 different inspectors over 4 MOT's.

1 MOT had no advisories, when I checked the previous MoT and the one after, they had the same advisories so I reckon there was a back hander on that one where they were payed extra to not note any advisories.

[Edited on 26-03-2015 by Tiger]
SVM 286

27th Mar 15 at 07:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah ha. A shame. I thought maybe you'd just got a bit of a panicky tester this time round.

I've only ever encountered two testers that I thought were unfair and one was agency so would fail stuff that didn't really need failing, just to cover his back.

The other was actually incompetent and should have been dismissed.
Tiger

30th Mar 15 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Checked the level and its above the max line, added some more fluid for fits and giggles and it seems to have solved the noise, no idea how

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Steering System Excessively Rough. 22 database queries in 0.0122499 seconds