corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bikers on here

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bikers on here
Aaron

User status: Offline
5th Aug 15 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm 32, and I haven't treated myself to anything of significant expense for as long as i can remember.

I fancy a bike (the motor variety), but i'm unsure where to start.

Not looking for anything like an R1 etc due to having never ridden a bike before (apart from a friends 49cc fart box when i was 16 )

Also not worried about getting anything brand new, and my budget would be something around £2000.

Any pointers?
RichR
Premium Member

5th Aug 15 at 16:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Double your budget to include kit and first yer's insurance; post wedding, my first purchase (6 years since taking my test) is a 675 Daytona; first year insurance isn't great but with 1 year's NCD price falls significantly.
gazza808

5th Aug 15 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Double? My first bike plus kit and insurance cost just over that.
Insurance was 350quid
lid was 200
Leathers 600
gloves and boots 150
bike 1200 (gsxr600)

Don't know every ones obsession with spending out a load on a first bike...
Dee25790

5th Aug 15 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gazza808
Insurance was 350quid
lid was 200
Leathers 600
gloves and boots 150
bike 1200 (gsxr600)

Exactly why spend a fortune on what you will most likely be sliding down the Tarmac in the first time you see rain.

You can get good kit cheaper than this if your budget is tight.

Go to small independent bike shops and get the last lid on the shelf, always a bargain as it's the end of the stock. I've got a few steals from almaxx. Buy the tech fabrics stuff (can't remember it's proper name) instead of leathers too

Being very friendly and talkative usually helps the situation.

RichR
Premium Member

5th Aug 15 at 19:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gazza808
Insurance was 350quid
lid was 200
Leathers 600
gloves and boots 150
bike 1200 (gsxr600)

Okay double was an exaggeration but I can't find insurance for under £750 for yr 1 in low rates crime area, garaged, data tagged, etc. etc. second year is under £250.
gazza808

5th Aug 15 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get kit cheaper. But I'm a firm believer in buy the best safety kit you can afford,
I've had a few buddies have some big offs and the kit has saved them,

It's all that's between you and the floor.

Everybody always says "it's made to the same standards" "it's passed the same tests"

But something that surpasses the tests is better than some high that scrapes a pass.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

5th Aug 15 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RichR
is a 675 Daytona

Fantastic bike. My mate jack has one of these. 675R in pearl white. The power is unreal but comes on really smoothly. Doesn't rip your arms out your sockets.
Dee25790

5th Aug 15 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Absolutely agree with you. But if the budget is tight buy what you can. I had a bieffe Helmet I think for my first kit bought by my brother as a birthday present to go alongside the scooter my dad had bought me. Got from almaxx for £150 down from £350.

I'd of been happy paying £350 for it myself. Felt like you could hit a bank vault at 60mph and your head would still be fine haha.

It got damaged in an accident and replaced by the insurance with a helmet that was on eBay for £30. You could tell the difference even though they were both ce marked or whatever it is

[Edited on 05-08-2015 by Dee25790]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bikers on here 22 database queries in 0.0129690 seconds