corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Going to look at a Corsa GSi soon - advice?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Going to look at a Corsa GSi soon - advice?
Ricky352

User status: Offline
30th Nov 15 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A Corsa GSi has come up for sale near me, in Belfast. Been a while since I looked at any old Vauxhalls to buy, so was wondering if anyone could give any advice? Where are they worst for rust?

It's a '95 with 125k, so not expecting it to be amazing condition, but would be something nice to work on.
Steve
Premium Member

30th Nov 15 at 11:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless its been specifically stored nicely/looked after I would save yourself the hassle most are beyond reasonable repair
Ellis

30th Nov 15 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll burn more oil than a power station at that mileage. Would also be surprised if underneath was anything better than a teabag. Same problems everyone had with the Nova all those years ago are now equally applicable to the Corsa B.
Ricky352

30th Nov 15 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I've been thinking this, but it looks ok in the pictures. History is a bit sketchy as the new owner hasn't hadsn't had it long, and it was left lying for a while before this. Not looking to put it on the road anytime soon, so a bit of reasonable work would be fine. Only 61 left according to HowManyLeft.

Its standard apart from VX inlet manifolf as far as I can see.
Ian W

30th Nov 15 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Main parts to look at are the rear arches right behind the L Piece, feel behind the rear arch spats and see if you can feel them coming apart, they will be flaky and rough to touch. Get underneath the back and check the rear panel behind the bumper, chassis legs at the front are also a major week point.

They rust quite a bit and it's worth having a proper poke around, my old one didn't seem to bad when I bought it but once we started doing the work it was obvious that it was very rotten.

Mine is a 1995 with 120k on and it runs spot on, it has had the chassis legs plated and a bit on the rear of one sill, the rest seems fine though.

Get the reg and do an MOT history check on it so you can see if rot was noted on the previous tests.

[Edited on 30-11-2015 by Ian W]
Ricky352

30th Nov 15 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers, Ian, just had a bit of a look through your thread on it. It's cleaned up well. Mine is advertsed at 3 times what you paid for yours though lol. But then again it's hard enough to find a sport in NI, never mind a GSi.
Ricky352

30th Nov 15 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good shout on the MOT, but it's curently Irish registered with Irish plates. I'll have a Google here.
Ian W

30th Nov 15 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ricky352
Cheers, Ian, just had a bit of a look through your thread on it. It's cleaned up well. Mine is advertsed at 3 times what you paid for yours though lol. But then again it's hard enough to find a sport in NI, never mind a GSi.

Not sure I would want to pay that much for one, actually I am certain I wouldn't

I'd be tempted to sell mine for 3 times what I paid for it though

I bought mine blind based on pictures and a conversation with the seller, just booked a transport company to pick it up and deliver it to me! Best valentines present I ever had
taylorboosh

30th Nov 15 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was a rotter too
Ricky352

30th Nov 15 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might sound like big money, but I'd be willing to pay it for the right car. I know mates who ship cars over for around £300, but it's hard to part me with my money and I like to get a good look at what I'm buying.

Don't tempt me Ian, I'm in Wirral tonight too lol
Ian W

30th Nov 15 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Might sound like big money, but I'd be willing to pay it for the right car. I know mates who ship cars over for around £300, but it's hard to part me with my money and I like to get a good look at what I'm buying.

Don't tempt me Ian, I'm in Wirral tonight too lol

It must be fate then 5k and you can drive it away tonight, currently sat in the garage looking mint
RichRu

30th Nov 15 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They can look ok from the outside its when you get remove the kit and arches you can see what's what...the kit can hide all the shit...but like Ian said the main bits you can check chassis legs and the sill underneath the skirts you can get your hand under and check..can guarantee it will need some work
Ricky352

30th Nov 15 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd only looked at the first couple of pages of your thread Ian - I was talking about the grey one, which I see is now sold lol Wite one looks very well.

Aye I'd guess so Rich.

Cheers.
RichRu

30th Nov 15 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What colour is it
Ricky352

30th Nov 15 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flame red, and actually does look quite red in the pics, although seller has told me the rear bumper is faded.
basslinecorsa
Premium Member

30th Nov 15 at 13:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine turned out to be rotten, I have piled in several thousand pounds to have it returned to mint condition underneath ... have a good poke around with a screwdriver and see how many holes you can make.

Take particular care around the front jacking points and where the rear beam connects to the chassis, these were near non existant on mine needing to be completely replaced

Project Scarlett - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=661417
Ian W

30th Nov 15 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'd only looked at the first couple of pages of your thread Ian - I was talking about the grey one, which I see is now sold lol Wite one looks very well.

Aye I'd guess so Rich.

Cheers.

Ah, so it's 3x the cost of the grey one...that makes more sense
Ricky352

30th Nov 15 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Baseline, I'll be sure to have a good look at them.
Generation

30th Nov 15 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still
Waiting for all of those people from years ago who said they'd be worth a fortune
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
1st Dec 15 at 01:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£5k in 2021, quote me.
Tiger

1st Dec 15 at 01:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Show me a Corsa GSi that's had 1 lady owner, been garaged for the last 15 years and has 20,000 on the clock. Then you'd be talking an investment. Sadly, I doubt there's one in the world.
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Dec 15 at 02:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You mean go back through the Genuine GSi register thread, get all the reg numbers, then do MOT history checks for all of them over the course of a few weeks in order to download the whole data set without being banned for clobbering before parsing the results and making a searchable database on here because if so yeah I'll show you.
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Dec 15 at 02:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh hai
Tiger

1st Dec 15 at 07:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty sure that top one was mine - L335 JBD.
thomson

1st Dec 15 at 07:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There was one a couple of years ago that had 20,000 miles on it, one owner, garaged etc. It was in Ireland it was in total Vauxhall.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Going to look at a Corsa GSi soon - advice? 23 database queries in 0.0167179 seconds