corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Why the hell am i having so much trouble selling my car?!?!!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Why the hell am i having so much trouble selling my car?!?!!
MattyB

User status: Offline
19th Oct 03 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had my car up on autotrader for 2 weeks, in the loot for ages, told loadsa people, put it on CS and other forums and still no luck. Its a mint little motor for wot it is, and dirt cheap compared to some on autotrader for what its got!!

It does have 125k miles, but that aint even stated in the ad! But as a 10 year old car its expected to have 120k, and this only has 5k more. I mean please, read for urself.....

Heres the Ad:

Vauxhall Corsa 1.2i LS, 1993/L, White, 3 Dr, S/roof, Sports interior, Alloys, Spoiler, Panasonic CD Player with remote, Alarm, r/c/locking, Tinted glass, Low Tax + Insurance, 40+ mpg, Lots of s/history, 2 Owners from new, MOT till 08/04, Tax until 02/04, HPi Clear, Great first car, Very smart and very good condition, but new car forces reluctant sale. Average miles, hence £1000 NO OFFERS.

U get the picture, little run bout but got some extras and cheap. Telling the honest truth, its got nothing wrong with it, never has, always been looked after very well, regularly polished the lot. I cant believe i'm havin such trouble. Corsas were becomming more and more sought after by boyracers etc and all i've had is timewasters Been very patient up until now, but i just need the money.

22 people have called me bout it, one has come to view!

ANY help/comments/tips on tryin to advertise/sell this car i'll appreciate. I WILL NOT appreciate idiotic comments and slaggin the car off as i've not created the post for this matter.

cheers in advance

Matt
PaulW

19th Oct 03 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sort of corsa I'm after, but wont be buying till next year!

Tru putting the price as £1250 ono cos then people think ahhhh lets see if we can get it cheaper, then they barter down & when you hit the 1k mark they think £250 cheaper than advertised - bargain!

[Edited on 19-10-2003 by PaulW]
Savinforcorsaproject

19th Oct 03 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just think its lot for the CAR IMO and thats what i guess other People Have thought.
internationalbomb

19th Oct 03 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i no its pretty much average miles.... but dont think theres many people about nowerdays that want a car with that high mileage.
PaulW

19th Oct 03 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i want one with decent bodywork & interior like the above, but hopefully with either sky-high mileage or a completely feked engine! I only want the shell

[Edited on 19-10-2003 by PaulW]
waynep

19th Oct 03 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tried ebay wiv a high reserve ? ill ask people at college/ werk 4 u mate .
MattyB

19th Oct 03 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul - thats wot i've been doin (raising the price, and accepting lower, but this just seems to put people off to start with) - the above example is what i'm gonna be puttin in the ad as of 2moz, hopefully it will help things.

Savinforcorsaproject - well book price is bout £1280 according to my September 2003 parkers, in A1 condition. I've then minus'd the ££ for havin the little over average miles. Well i've taken £300 off for this, which is more than it states i shud have. The car is mint, and has a lot of extra feature that make the car a bit smarter etc. Its not boy racified or anything like that, just tidy.

Matt

[Edited on 19-10-2003 by MattyB]
MattyB

19th Oct 03 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

C-C - yeah ask around mate, cheers.

Paul - yeah i was thinkin some1 might want it for a project, but like u say, most people are lookin for more of a shell which needs rebuilding/sprayin etc.

Matt
PaulW

19th Oct 03 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahhh right i though ya meant the 1k no offers was what u were advertising!

still think its a good price, some people will think its a bit expensive, but for an A1 condition corsa, its a good price!
MattyB

19th Oct 03 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i am advertising it for 1k NO OFFERS now. All last week etc it was up for £1200 ono, but didnt have any luck.

Anyone know any other good sites to put it on? done the loot, autotrader.........

needs to be pretty local tho... (NW LONDON)

Matt
Trotty

19th Oct 03 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just a thought, if you want to shift it quicker perhaps advertise it at say £950, No offers

Admittidly its marginally lower, but it takes the price to under a grand and psychologically appears a fair bit cheaper.
MattyB

19th Oct 03 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i c wot u mean there, good point, but to me £950 is psychologically too low. i mean i've dropped enuff from £1.2k, and i dont think i wud want it to go ANY less than £1k coz its worth it

Matt
Savinforcorsaproject

19th Oct 03 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MattyB People dont allways go by book price m8 i just woudnt pay that For 1k

I cud get a nice Pug 106 1.4 50k on clock good body work e.t.c.
and some are £1300 so knock erm to £1100.

IMHO

ainsley_brader

19th Oct 03 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sell the interior, wheels and cd player separate, then drop the price down to the £800 mark!
stevoraith

19th Oct 03 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Being honest I think it's maybe a bit on the pricey side. Parkers online quotes £980 as dealer retail of an A1 car, £865 for private good condition. Obviously it looks in A1 condition, and TBH I don't think the milage would lower the price any, but I think if you put it up at 1k ONO you'll get more interest.

No-one likes it if they don't think they can budge you on the price. When they come round you can haggle hard and don't accept less then £900 but to be honest you'd be better taking £900 this week than holding out a couple of weeks (or longer) to get the extra £100 but end up spending it all on advertising anyway.
Heather

19th Oct 03 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would buy it if i lived in london

went to view a 1994 1.5 TD This moring with me dad it had 125k miles on the clock too and was going for £1195

You should of seen the state of all the fabric was ripped stunk of dogs had dog hairs all over the back seats. Outside was covered in mud look like he had just be on safari with his dogs that had been chewing the seats ! would of paid £100 for it let alone £1200
MattyB

19th Oct 03 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All good comments cheers.

Parkers guide are always too low. I mean look at most of the prices in there, then look on autotrader. Its usually 10% out i find. Well thats wot i found when lookin for my new car, and that was on pugs, corollas, focus's and astras.

I wont strip this motor any further, basically coz i cant be bothered. Gonna cost me at least £50 for a LS interior, and even then i doubt i'd get an interior as mint as the one i have now. The wheels i got cheap as hell anyway, and they look smart on there. And CD player aint worth jack, and cant be bothered switching all wiring back (coz it got mullered by previous owner). Plus i'd have to buy a std one. its all not worth it, i got it to a point that looks tidy and has a few goodies.

Stevoraith - to be honest, altho it might seem it, i'm not in a massive hurry to sell this. Its simply sittin on my drive, but the space wud be nice. I would like the money from it to pay back the new one, but its not like i got anyone on my back for it.

I'd rather hold out, coz advertising is only costin me £15 for 2 weeks and i am gettin a high amount of interest, just from timewasters

I'll give it till end of month, then just put it up for £900 like u and Paul suggested.

cheers

Matt
MattyB

19th Oct 03 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Girl_racer
I would buy it if i lived in london

went to view a 1994 1.5 TD This moring with me dad it had 125k miles on the clock too and was going for £1195

You should of seen the state of all the fabric was ripped stunk of dogs had dog hairs all over the back seats. Outside was covered in mud look like he had just be on safari with his dogs that had been chewing the seats ! would of paid £100 for it let alone £1200

i remember when i went to buy mine, i viewed a couple of Diesels, and ur right, they had seen better days. They ALL had high milage, and used as load luggers.

I just wish more people came to view mine, coz altho they read the 125k milage bit, its puts em off before they've even seen the car. Dispite the facts its in alot better condition than most sub 80k cars!

The outside is immaculate and the interior looks smart as. oh - and after 2 weeks of sittin out in the cold, the engine starts first click and purrs like new. Not only that, will then easily take 3 people and luggage in comfort on a 200 mile drive, givin 50mpg. HOW CUD U NOT WANT IT!!

Matt
CORSA NUT

19th Oct 03 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fuking hate car price guides

I mean who the fuk are they to determen the price of your car!

At the end of the day a car is worth what the buyer is willing to pay.I'm after a GolfGTI at the mo and Parkers say 1150 private but i'm willing to pay 2K for the right one.

Good luck with the sale though mate I rekon £895 ono!
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Oct 03 at 20:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are the windows tinted more than factory? This may be putting people off, it'd be a nice standard example without them, you're crossing slightly in to boy racer territory if they're too dark - and these people are generally bothered by mileage.

They might not be but that appears to be so in the pic.

Plus you've the option of going the wrong side of a grand to make it look more attractive. Depends how quick you want rid.
MattyB

19th Oct 03 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers, more decent comments, thanks.

Right - as for price guides ur right, Book figure for my pug D Turbo was bout £2.7 for a1 condition. yeah right! if u cud find one for that, u'd get urself the biggest bargain in the world. They all go for £3.5k+. They are always pretty wrong, but give a half decent idea.

As for £895 ono - nah, coz then i'd get idiots offering £700. i reckon £1k no offers, coz at the end of the day, its not worth me selling it for less than this, i'd prefer to have it as a runaround while i get work done on my pug, but in reality, i'd prefer the money.

Ian - tints are medium rears, medium-light up front. I suppose they seem dark, but are a great security aid, and also have securi-film over the top meaning they take extra long to smash with a hammer, as they are sealed right round the edge (well the 3 rears are)

Milage - its a problem, but i mean if people just came to see the car, they'd see that its in alot better nick than most with half the miles, coz its simply been well looked after and maintained regardless of cost (vauxhall service reciepts of upto £400).

Yeah, sayin £1k no offers, if some1 came round with cash and the ability to drive it away there and then, i would drop very slightly, but its findin some1 that wud.

Matt
Romford Astra

19th Oct 03 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MattyB
Right - as for price guides ur right, Book figure for my pug D Turbo was bout £2.7 for a1 condition.

£2.07 is a bit steep for a french car

MattyB

19th Oct 03 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Romford Astra
quote:
Originally posted by MattyB
Right - as for price guides ur right, Book figure for my pug D Turbo was bout £2.7 for a1 condition.

£2.07 is a bit steep for a french car

lol.......£2.7k i meant. but with some of the build quality i've seen on it so far, £2.07 wud prob b closer!

Matt
starkmotorsport

19th Oct 03 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just be paitent. It only takes one to get it sold. Bide your time and a buyer will come along soon.
Makarus

19th Oct 03 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Savinforcorsaproject
MattyB People dont allways go by book price m8 i just woudnt pay that For 1k

I cud get a nice Pug 106 1.4 50k on clock good body work e.t.c.
and some are £1300 so knock erm to £1100.

IMHO

Wouldn't listen to this muppet, he aint got a fecking clue mate.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Why the hell am i having so much trouble selling my car?!?!! 22 database queries in 0.1936841 seconds