corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Just painted door handles, how long should i wait....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Just painted door handles, how long should i wait....
Rainesie

User status: Offline
12th Jul 04 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm referring to a pair of delocked vectra handles. Have primed and painted them. Not sure if i need to flat them before i lacquer them?? Any advice. Also once the final step has been done, how long before i can fit them on the car? They have been painted in a pretty warm room as the instructions on the can suggested.
mike_1.2LS96

12th Jul 04 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What colour? If you need the laquer, I find it works better when the paint is slightly wet still.
Rainesie

12th Jul 04 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Black. Finish doesn't look too bad so not sure if they will need lacquering. Just don't want to put them on the car and have the paint flaking off in a few days. All the prep work was maticulous.
Rainesie

14th Jul 04 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okay. they have been primed, painted and lacquered They look great and finish is fine but the finish is still soft. How long should i wait for the lacquer to dry?
Greasemonkey

14th Jul 04 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lacquer take a longer amount of time, leave them 24 hours or stick them in the oven at a low temp 30-40 degrees for a cople of hours
Paint takes a full 2 weeks to cure properly, so if ya got any blemishes in the laquer wait 2 weeks before reaching for the rubbing compound or t-cut

[Edited on 14-07-2004 by Greasemonkey]
Greg_M

14th Jul 04 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would at least leave them in the house for 24 hours to let the paint 'bake' properly. dont use polish t-cut or any harsh abrasives for about 2 weeks
Rainesie

14th Jul 04 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had them in a room with a heater on so its been fairly warm, didn't let it get cold at least. I'm guessing the reason why paintwork can come out of a bodyshop the next day after spraying is down to the oven and being able to cure the paint/lacquer properly.
Greg_M

14th Jul 04 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep, you should at least leave it inside a day or so.

New Poll