corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » The Big 3 Earths

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Big 3 Earths
Pop

User status: Offline
8th Feb 05 at 02:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hey...

my planned install will be going into the car soon as I have nearly finished my door pods and sound deadening.

I have a yellow top to go in but I know it is important that I change the big 3 earths to probabaly 0 gauge wire.

I know how important it is to have good earths so here's the question:-

- Is this something I should attempt myself? And if not how much do you think is a realistic price for a shop to charge me to have it done?

Thanks
Tim
Richie

8th Feb 05 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It can be a twat crimping on 0awg connectors onto the wires so id leave a proper autoelectrician to do it unless you have the tools.

Id say no more than £50 to get them all done, its not much cable.

Its not just the earths, you would ideally want to uprate the positive cable from your alternator too.

[Edited on 08-02-2005 by Richie]
Pop

8th Feb 05 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok thanks for that ... i'll go to get someone to do it I think.. donm't want to be responsible for a fire in my car from bad wiring
corsacman

8th Feb 05 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

0 awg is an overkill as the lenght of the cables are small. If you havent already got the cable buy some 2 gauge welding cable (from local suppliers) and 6 ring terminals. I got my 3 done for £20 thats for the labour.
Richie

8th Feb 05 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah he has a very valid point there which i overlooked

Even 2 gauge may be a bit big. 4 gauge should be fine
AdiSRI

8th Feb 05 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well mines changed to 0 gauge and i cant notice any difference at all.

it hasnt cost me much, only labour to use 0 gauge, just use 0 gauge ring terminals...

The positive from alt to battery is 1m at least long once routed so i think 0 gauge is your best bet if your making the effort to do it...

I had mine done at a local garage where i helped do the job, wasnty difficult but the routing of the cables takes some time.

With a yellow top you should be fine, im sure my battery is now my 'VERY' weak link.

New Poll