corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » fitting new front shocks (FK) need help...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author fitting new front shocks (FK) need help...
dna23

User status: Offline
   19th Mar 05 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i fitted them the other day, all went fine but i am not sure if i did it exactly right i haven't drove the car yet for this reason...

basically here is the original shock, i fitted my new FK ones the other day, i did them in the same order as standards... damper first then the spring on top, then the same as standard as shown below but removed the rubber piece (red arrow pointed to it) as this didn't fit my new springs into it, it only fitted standards.... this meant that the FK spring was resting on that next piece up in the chain i think it may be the bearing or something :S anyway it was hard to make it fit centrally on it but when the car was lowered and pressure applied to each side they seemed to 'click into place' but the thing is i dont know if this is right :S

anyone got any advice? sorry this is rushed im going out and wanted to post it 2nite

[Edited on 19-03-2005 by dna23]

[Edited on 19-03-2005 by dna23]
CorsAsh

19th Mar 05 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should seat into therubber mount mate... mine always have...
dna23

19th Mar 05 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm it didn't the rubber mount was to big, it would only fit in if i turned the shock the other way up so that the writing was upside down and that aint the right way i don't think.... :S

if u look in this pic at the top springs they coil in towards the top which is why they dont fit, if they stayed the same then they would but they just didnt... :S
dna23

19th Mar 05 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt
Robin
Premium Member

19th Mar 05 at 23:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that black rubber bit off the standard shocks goes on top of the sping below the topmount assembly, to stop the spring popping over the topmount, it should just sit on top of the spring, and everything screw down still

i did mine thismorning, and thats all i did
Robin
Premium Member

19th Mar 05 at 23:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and dude, the pic u've shown of the new kit, un assembled, you have the front springs upside down, the bit that goes in, should be at the bottom, this should sort you out
dna23

19th Mar 05 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah mine's like that but did ure spring fit into that rubber bit or not? cos mine doesn't but shud i just put it in and let it find its own groove :S atm its just the spring on the topmount..... can't see it popping over though :S
Robin
Premium Member

19th Mar 05 at 23:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the rubber bit as a sort of spiral in it anyway yeah, turn the springs so the bit with the smallest diameter is at the bottom, and put the rubber bit on the top of the spring (wide end) then turn the rubber till it wont turn anymore, and turn the spring til it sits in the recess in the spring cup on the damper, then compress the spring, yadder yadder

sorted
Robin
Premium Member

19th Mar 05 at 23:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if that still dont work, get yourself over to the queen eleanor in northampton tomorrow, with your bits, and i'll show ya then, at the vxlscc meet, whih you should come to anyway, being a northamptoner
dna23

19th Mar 05 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate.... if i wasn't straight i wud make sweet sweet love 2 u rite now i shall do it first thing 2moro thanks a ton also if its sorted in time i shall come to the meet..... i'll find it somehow and i gotta change brake shoes 2moro so it all depends but thanks a ton
Robin
Premium Member

19th Mar 05 at 23:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no worries dude
try and get down to the ellie
its off the a45
u know where the firestation is in northy? where u can turn off to wooton, its just off that roundabout basically
dna23

19th Mar 05 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh yeah i do actually mate... near the big tesco :S i'm looking up directions now i shud be able to find it relatively easy - wat sorta time we looking at?
Robin
Premium Member

19th Mar 05 at 23:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, a bit along from the tescos, but on that road, over the a45, piece of piss to find
gonna be there from 12 til about 2 i'd guess
dna23

20th Mar 05 at 00:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have to see how it goes mate i'll probably commence work around 8'ish to be ready in time... have to clean it aswell as shoes and shocks btw how easy r shoes to do? i currently have no handbrake lol... god bless 1st gear
Robin
Premium Member

20th Mar 05 at 00:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not too bad, if you get away with the drums being easy to get off, which they normally are
prob about an hours work, and the same for the front shocks, i have to do my rars tomorrow, didnt get time today lol
MJ

20th Mar 05 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right i fitted these shocks and springs the other week, the writting on the spring is upside down on the front but on the back it is fine, any more help needed then just ask

New Poll