corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » TINTING WINDOWS

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author TINTING WINDOWS
Fozzy

User status: Offline
23rd Jun 05 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi there, I know I sound like a tight arse but im really skint at the mo and thinking of tinting my own windows so I jus wondered whats the best way to do it? Thinking of using spray instead of film but would be hard getting a decent level of smooth tint?? Any help would be great, cheers, Rob
MR2Mike

23rd Jun 05 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the spray is crap mate, and you cant see out of the windows watsoever
Fozzy

23rd Jun 05 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

KK mate cheers, any more advice people?
SabasSRi

23rd Jun 05 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I started off using film from halfords. You have to roughly cut the film to size,spray the screen with water,peel off the film making sure there are no scratches or hairs on it put it against the window and sqegee the bubbles out. Mine looked pretty bad and after spending a lot on the film, took it off and spent £200 to get it done properly.
SN Marshall

23rd Jun 05 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have a look on POTN.com i think they do pre-cut kits for your car kits for only about £50 in a varieity of shades and colour.I havent tried them yet and they might still be hard to fit but at least they are pre-cut so they shouldn't be too bad. And im afraid thats just about the best you will for cheap.
IlfordCorsa16V

23rd Jun 05 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clean your windows,
Spray water on both windows and tint,
Cover the window with the sheet off tint and then using a credit card or something similar, take out all the bubbles,
then cut around the window with a razor blade along the rubber bits around the windows.
Johnyboy18

23rd Jun 05 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get it down by a professional. Probly take about 10 goes to get it good yourself and by then, a pro could have done it for you

[Edited on 23-06-2005 by Johnyboy18]
cargraphics4u.com

23rd Jun 05 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

havea look on our site for pre cut tint kits, they are about £40 IIRC

www.graficxpress.co.uk
a_j_mair

23rd Jun 05 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best to get it done by a pro unless you have the patients of a saint. i had a go and it just made me thiunk if i tried again could prob do an ok job if i took the glass out
dna23

23rd Jun 05 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there's a secret trick to it its long winded but the results r fantastic
Jake

23rd Jun 05 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

using talcom powder along the way helps.
dna23

23rd Jun 05 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jakethesnake

someone read Revs

my method involves a bath tub
Cybermonkey

23rd Jun 05 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dna23
quote:

thats no way to talk about a corsa
Jake

23rd Jun 05 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dna23
quote:

someone read Revs

someone did..... Didnt think i would be caught out, although i heard about talcom powder before that on mig
CorsaJunkie

23rd Jun 05 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I copied this Guide from here a few days ago, it helped me very much with my attemt to tint my corsa, by the way i really think it should be put in the faq section
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did my own tints and turned out a pro job, perfect in every way no bubble atall and didnt peel anywhere. It all depends on what sort of tint you get.

Heres a few steps to how i got a good result:

you will need:

* Sprey bottle filled with warm soapy water
* Window tint squeeger - to squeeze out the water from behind the tint and smooth it all out
* sissors
* maybe a sharp stanley knife
* paper
* pen
* heat gun
* towel
* some spare time and PATIENCE - (they key to tinting)

1) I made templates out of paper, from the inside of the car windows, not from the outiside, if you do it from the outside you wont get an acurate template. I then placed the template onto the tint and cut around it, simply flip the template the other way and cut again for the other side... Why pay loads of money for pre cut tints, when it takes a couple of mins to cut your own?? - Remember if you are doing window which wind up/down to get the template to cover the parts of the window that are not visable, i.e if you tint the window when its up, remember that there is about an inch of it stuck into the top of the door !

2) Offer the tint upto the window to make sure it will fit it okay and clear the whole window without needing trimming, if it does, trim it now, its easier to trim the tint at this point, rather than when its half stuck down and sliding about!

3) fill a sprey sprey bottle with warm soapy water, not too soapy though because the tint wont stick properly if you use too much soap, i use a couple of squirts of fairy liquid and shake it into the water.

4) Use 2 peices of cellotape to peel back the tint, put them facing each other in a corner of the tint and then seperate the tape, this should seperate the tint from the clear backing. you now need to remove the tape without creasing the tinted side.

You will also need a credit card, or a window squeezer to apply the tint, you usually get one with the window tint kits, but if you dont a credit card would do. but be careful not to scratch the tint.

5) If the window you are tinting has electrical parts, before you sprey it with water its a good idea to place a cloth on the door card to soak up any water.

6) Clean the window you are tinting very well, make sure there are no marks, grease, hairs, dirts etc that will mess up the job. When its clean, Sprey a generous amount of the soapy warm water onto the window you are tintingpeel back the tint about 1/3rd of the way, be carful not to let it fold back on itself, because if it does theres no way you will beable to seperate it!

7) Place the tint, stick side onto the window, it should feel very slippy and slidy if you used the correct amount of soapy water, get the tint into the right position, you should beable to just slide it into position. When in place, use your squeeger (or credit card) to squeeze out the water from behind the tint, this should hold that part in place pretty firmly, but keep hold of it inacse. With the other hand, peel the remaining backing off the tint, and hold in place, again be very carful not to let the tint fold back on itself.

8) With the tint in place, covering all the window. Use the squeeger to remove all the remaining water from behind the tint. Its best to start in the middle and work your way to the edges. This takes a while to do, and sometimes you find that in certin places, the tint wont stick properly. This is where the heat gun comes in handy. It shrinks the tint and makes it take the shape of your window better. But be very very carful not to 'burn or melt the tint' its probaby better to use a hairdryer on a hot setting than a propper heat gun, if you do use a heat gun, have it on a low setting.

9) You should end up (with work time and patience) a quality job. If the window you are doing had an adge (ie winds down) its a good idea to seal the edge with some clear nail varnish. This will stop water and moisture from getting behind the tint and destroying it.

Rear windows, they are a pain, i would leave them to the pro tinters, lol. One way to do it is to cut the tint into three strips and place them inline with the rear heated window lines, this way when its in place, you wont even beable to tell its seperate sheets!

I cant beleive i sat and typed all that, I hope it makes some sence, if I had some pictures to go with it i reccon it should go in the tutorials section, thats if there isnt already a section on tinting windows?

[Edited on 23-06-2005 by CorsaJunkie]

New Poll