corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Mayo on the oil filler cap...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mayo on the oil filler cap...
ed

User status: Offline
27th Feb 06 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just checked the oil on my 1.2 16v. I noticed that there was a little mayo type crap on the underside of the cap that wasn't there when I bought/serviced the car in December. Am I right in thinking that this is normal and caused by condensation in the cam casing?

The car doesn't run hot, always sits at 90 degrees with no problems. The oil is the normal blacky colour and smells normal. The only worrying thing is, the coolent seems 'dirty'. Though when I changed the coolent in December there was a lot of shite in the bottom of the rad which I did my best to clean out.
Fad

27th Feb 06 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the cars running fine I would say the scenario that you just mentioned plus its been getting very cold recently and could cause the condensation.

Otherr scenario I would say was check for a blocked breather pipe as I rember JR's 1.2 8v had this and there was loads of mayo under the oil filler cap
ed

27th Feb 06 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Funny you mention that. The breather pipe on the 1.2 16v isn't formed into a shape, though it bends around. Mine seems to have collapsed a little. I guess that could be a problem.
Cybermonkey

27th Feb 06 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try and get a small sample of the coolant from the rad or resevoir, and just check its a nice bright colour. as for the mayo, like you said could be from cam casing condensation or condensation rising up from the sump. i wouldnt worry too much ed. unless it starts running crap and chucking out heaps of white smoke
ed

27th Feb 06 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The coolent s bright pink, it's just that it is opaque rather than transparent if you get what I mean... There is no white smoke though

The breather pipe was blocked to total buggery

The stuff in it was a bit gross, it resembled ear wax and poo..... I cleaned it out, so I'll see how I get along
Cybermonkey

27th Feb 06 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that might well be your problem ed, blocked breathers can cause this. coolant sounds fine, as long as its not dirty and black
Fad

27th Feb 06 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3CorsaMeal

27th Feb 06 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had this, that stuff in the pipes was making me puke, had to squeeze it all out
ed

27th Feb 06 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not the smell, it's just the way it looks

Is there anything I can pop in the coolent to clean out the circuit? I was thinking some washing up liquid as it's a good degreaser? As I want to try and clean it all out... Or would it be a pipes off and scrub job?
bubble

27th Feb 06 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
It's not the smell, it's just the way it looks

Is there anything I can pop in the coolent to clean out the circuit? I was thinking some washing up liquid as it's a good degreaser? As I want to try and clean it all out... Or would it be a pipes off and scrub job?

no no no no no no no no, just do a coolant flush. washing up liquid congeales with coolant if mixed and will block small coolant galleries in head. we have had this before at work!
Ben ev

27th Feb 06 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if theres mayo in the header tank to then its probibly head gasket
bubble

27th Feb 06 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben ev

if breather's are blocked mayo crap will eventually be forced into header tank.

plus on x12xe they run crap when HG fooked!
ed

27th Feb 06 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben ev
It would also overheat and the oil wouldn't be in normal condition like previously stated.

By a coolent flush, do you mean just dump the old coolent, or is the a chemical that you use like you can do when chaning th oil...

New Poll