corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » PayPal eCheque?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author PayPal eCheque?
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
23rd Jul 06 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just paid for something (so I thought) on eBay and used PayPal, I had £2-odd in my PayPal account so I was expecting it to use that and take the remainder from my bank account, but instead it took the whole amount from my bank account by way of an "eCheque".

Recently I changed banks, but I only added the bank account, there is no back up funding source, but there was when I was using my old account. Is this the reason why PayPal has sent my payment as an eCheque? It will probably be not earlier than the end of next week before my payment clears now!

If I add a backup funding source (I used to have my old Switch card as the backup), will it be back to normal like before?

I asked PayPal through their contact us thing on their web site, but seeing as I can't log into my email I don't know if they've replied or not!
Sam
Premium Member

23rd Jul 06 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually just found this posted up on eBay's forum:

http://forums.ebay.co.uk/thread.jspa?threadID=1100012498&tstart=0&mod=1152610377354

quote:

I really don't know why some payments to me are in the form of echeque.
I always write to the buyer and tell them that I can't post their item till their payment clears, in a couple of weeks and usually they appear to be surprised.

'Instant' Bank funded payment types (PayPal) are:-

1) 'Debit card' (treated as a Credit card by PayPal)
or
2) 'Instant Bank Transfer'. This is only available for buyers that have a Debit or Credit card registered to their PayPal account as a 'Back Up' funding source.
(PayPal make the payment before they've actually received the money from the Buyer's bank account and need a back up source should the bank debit fail.)

Anyone that has set up 'Bank Funding' for their PayPal account will be able to send an 'eCheque' and will always be told (by PayPal) the estimated clearing date.

Bank Funding is the first step for PayPal account 'Verification' and when in place the bank account becomes the default funding source (after PayPal balance) for payments.
Many Buyers may not realise this.

[Edited on 23-07-2006 by Sam]
abdus

23rd Jul 06 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

normally echeques take 5-7 days to clear...

I guess you made payment this way because you haven't changed your default settings for backup source...

usually when making the payment, it tells you how it is funded...mine is set to be always the credit card...

btw you can phone paypal...much easier and very friendly/helpful
Sam
Premium Member

24th Jul 06 at 06:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I added a credit card as a backup source and bought something else off eBay last night, that was paid instantly with the money that was already in my PayPal account plus the balance from my bank account instantly.

So remember folks, if you don't want to wait all year for your payment to clear, make sure you have a debit/credit card number as a backup source!

New Poll