corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » DOS - Denial Of Service

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author DOS - Denial Of Service
Sims

User status: Offline
27th Sep 06 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anyone ever been involved or subject to one of these attacks?

Do you know much about it yourself? i realise there are many different types. Good old Wikipedia.

I'm just very interested in it. Please discuss.

Simsy

[Edited on 27-09-2006 by Sims]
Steve
Premium Member

27th Sep 06 at 17:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wtf are you interested in it?
John

27th Sep 06 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who are you trying to dos
Steve
Premium Member

27th Sep 06 at 17:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i remember when it was possible to crash CS by holding down the F5 key
Sims

27th Sep 06 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol Steve. Must have been a flakey server.

Reason why i was interested was because me and several other colleagues maybe made redundant.

We work for a company that has a sister company involved in hosting services for some major clients. One being a major phone network and another being a major Sat-Navigation provider, plus many other big companies.

One of the two directors has gone Awol and is using our company as leverage to gain full ownership of the other from the other director.

Me and my colleagues mentioned DOS and how it would shaft this guy if we were made redundant.

Just wondered what was involved in such an attack. I wouldn't actually carry it out, because its stupid and there are serious legal consequences.

Was just interested

John

27th Sep 06 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You would need the bandwidth to be able to do it, which normally involves many bot machines.
Sims

27th Sep 06 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah its done alot through IRC isn't it Jon? You need more upload bandwidth than there download bandwidth.

If i'm right in remembering they have an 18mb pipe.
John

27th Sep 06 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The irc thing afaik is just where the bots report to to be coordinated.

It woudln't really shaft the guy either.
I seriously doubt you could get the resources to sustain it for any amount of time.

You would also be caught very quickly as you said.
Sims

27th Sep 06 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh so it works like a distributed system? with all bots communicating via a central point?

Your right it would be hard getting the resources together. I figured 36+ DSL connections to disrupt a 18mb service

But yeah it wouldn't be much of a concern for the guy and we would get caught quickly.

Have you been invloved in something similar John? or just aware of how it works?

John

27th Sep 06 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not been involved at all just read about it a few times and i've read about it on sites as it's happening before.

You don't need a ditributed system but the massive ones are.

Also, if you only have 36 dsl connections, or even more than that.
They would just have to block the ip addresses to stop it then worry about finding out who the culprit is.

When you are being attacked by hundreds of thousands or millions of infected computers though its slightly harder.
Sims

27th Sep 06 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh fair enough. I see your point on the numbers required to have any affect/success.

Thanks for your input John. It is interesting stuff but out of my capabilities of implementing.

Anyway going into the office tomorrow to collect our code and personal files. I'm sure a punch from one of us lot will send a better message. I can see it happening now especially with us now possibly not getting paid this friday.

Simsy

Nismo

27th Sep 06 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DoS is a criminal offence now.
Sims

27th Sep 06 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey Nath, i thought it was. So is assault so i'll se how it goes tomorrow.

Hopefully things will work out and the other director will gain full control of both companies which will = Happy Days
Nismo

27th Sep 06 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dude

But to make any impact from it you need hundreds of people doing it.
Sims

27th Sep 06 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
dude

But to make any impact from it you need hundreds of people doing it.

hehe thanks Nath. yeah it ain't going to happen. Was just interested in how it was done after it was mentioned.

Thing that annoys me the most is the day it all went tits up, i got made permanent with a pay rise 2 hours before

Dan B

27th Sep 06 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sims
Ahh so it works like a distributed system? with all bots communicating via a central point?

Your right it would be hard getting the resources together. I figured 36+ DSL connections to disrupt a 18mb service

But yeah it wouldn't be much of a concern for the guy and we would get caught quickly.

Have you been invloved in something similar John? or just aware of how it works?

Firstly, what you're suggesting contravenes one of the Computer Acts (can't remember which), and is punishable by up to £5,000 fine and 5 years in prison...

Secondly, assuming that 36 DSL connections would flood an 18Mbps line would also assume that those connections are SDSL (ie. symmetric - same up/down speed) and not the standard ADSL (ie. asymmetric - high down-speed, low up-speed). A standard 512kbps ADSL line has a 256kbps upstream, so you'd theoretically need 72 such lines to max out an 18Mbps line. Now, take into account ATM-packet-wrapping and suchlike, that lower your maximum theoretical speed, and your 256kbps theoretical upstream becomes more like 230-245kbps, meaning you'd need 75-80 such lines, assuming that these lines were in perfect working order.

Plus, in order to flood a connection, you'd have to hit it with considerably more than 100% of its capacity...

To conclude, as someone that could be involved in working out which attack came from where (part of my job, at the company I work for), and where those attacks originated from, I'd suggest not bothering in the first place and looking elsewhere for revenge.
Sims

27th Sep 06 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOL Dan B. What a reply. I didn't go into working out the specifics for matching the bandwidth need to match their pipe. I was going by my Max DSL which has a slightly faster upload rate. But like you said i'd need alot more that 36

And to put your mind at rest, i'm not even going to attempt such an attack because i am aware of how easy it is to trace the attack.

Thanks for the reply though

Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
28th Sep 06 at 22:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The attacks that use IRC are distributed denial of service, DDOS.

Also known as DRDOS - distributed reflection denial. All the same thing. Read this.

http://www.grc.com/dos/drdos.htm

Law is Computer Misuse Act 1990 and although there have been convictions under this act for DOS attacks, it doesn't specifically mention them in its current form. That might change though.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/26/uk_computer_crime_revamp/
John

29th Sep 06 at 05:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The grc site is exactly the site i was thinking of while writing that Ian.

They also have some nice little programs.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

29th Sep 06 at 05:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think this thread needs some major clue.

Firstly, DOS, denial of service is exactly what it means. You are causing a service to stop functioning as it should.

Now this can come in lots of forms, for example a machine will run various forms of services, say for example one of them services it ran (lets say Apache which is a webserver) had a bug which would cause it to crash when you sent the text string "LOLKITTENS" to it. If an attack caused Apache to crash so it couldnt serve web pages anymore to its users. That is a Denial of Service attack.

Then there is DDOS, Distributed Denial of Service, this is currently the latest and most popular form of attack on the net at the moment. People spend time coding worms to infect thousands apon thousands of machines so they can all group together to make a 'botnet'. They can then control these bots over communication channels such as IRC (Inter Relay Chat). The attack is actually just a flood of bandwidth, either making so many connections that the server/line can't handle the load or a SYN attack, which is where a machine opens a connection with the target and then stops communicating half way through the handshake.

For example, its like me saying hello! then stopping my conversation right away. The other party will be stood there going Hi..Hello? are you there?

Imagnie taht but times a few 100,000
corsa5dr

29th Sep 06 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PMSL Sims I dont even want to know whats going through your head

[Edited on 29-09-2006 by corsa5dr]
jamied

29th Sep 06 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SHOULD do a DOS on barry boys!

New Poll