corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Securing Alpine Head Unit

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Securing Alpine Head Unit
Alexjw

User status: Offline
8th Jan 07 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wondering if anyone can help

A few months back i had an alpine stereo stolen out of my car, bastards bent the door back and got it out in probably 2mins. I left the face-off under the seat too which i dont think helped

Anyway, ive finally bought a new stereo and am not going to ever leave the fascia in again but i want a way to secure it. So there would be no way it can just be levered out with a screw driver.

I thought about replacing the hex screw at the back with a security bolt, taking the heating console out and tightning it till my screwdriver nearly snaps

Can anyone give me some suggestions to make it nearly impossible to remove????
Wrighty

8th Jan 07 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just secure it in best you can with the cage..make it as hard as you can to steal...dont leave your facia in...end of the day if theives want something, they will get it bastards
Alexjw

8th Jan 07 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the cage doesnt seem to hold it in very secure though.

You can secure the cage to the car by bending all the metal pieces out but still, the head unit is only held to the cage by 2 little clips which can be flicked up and the stereo slid out :/
deano87

8th Jan 07 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do what you said with the security bolt at the back, but instead of waiting till your screw driver nearly snaps, round the head of the bolt etc.

It won't be too difficult to get out with drill, new threading bits etc when you're ready to sell the car or the head unit goes bang, but will certainly not make it a 2 minute job for thieves.

Could always try and find a Sendai or Ripspeed sticker to put on the player so it's visible when the facia plate is off, no fucker would steal it then!
Alexjw

8th Jan 07 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
Could always try and find a Sendai or Ripspeed sticker to put on the player so it's visible when the facia plate is off, no fucker would steal it then!

gud idea that though, just dont know if there'll be enough space behind the unit to round off the bolt, or get a drill in there
arbi12

8th Jan 07 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont leave face in and look into getting an alarm this will help thieves dont tend to stay around when they are going off
deano87

8th Jan 07 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by arbi12
dont leave face in and look into getting an alarm this will help thieves dont tend to stay around when they are going off

Also getting a Thatcham category will reduce your insurance! Although the reduction will take a few years to recoup against the cost of alarm.
davey03

9th Jan 07 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i take the face plate out everytime
Not really much else you can do as if the wnat it they will get it!
but the unit is worthless with the face pannel (tried swapping mine with a mate who had the same and didnt work)
so they will be left with a none workin unit
Alexjw

9th Jan 07 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id like to think though that the longer it would actually take them to remove it, the more chance they have of thinking "fuck that", theres no face plate in the car, no point.

I think am gonna try and cable the head unit to the top of the cage aswell, so you'd have to take the heating console out to get at the cable tie's, hard work really
deano87

9th Jan 07 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by davey03
i take the face plate out everytime
Not really much else you can do as if the wnat it they will get it!
but the unit is worthless with the face pannel (tried swapping mine with a mate who had the same and didnt work)
so they will be left with a none workin unit

I'm sure there is someone out there though that can reprogramme head unit facia plates on a laptop - I could be wrong though and would have no idea how to do it.

quote:
Originally posted by Alexjw
id like to think though that the longer it would actually take them to remove it, the more chance they have of thinking "fuck that", theres no face plate in the car, no point.

I think am gonna try and cable the head unit to the top of the cage aswell, so you'd have to take the heating console out to get at the cable tie's, hard work really

That would work but just makes it hassle when you want to remove the head unit.

[Edited on 09-01-2007 by deano87]
Alexjw

9th Jan 07 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
quote:
Originally posted by Alexjw

That would work but just makes it hassle when you want to remove the head unit.

[Edited on 09-01-2007 by deano87]

thats the idea, i aint gonna be removing the head unit till i sell the car probably, and i dont want anyone knicking this one, i'd weld it in place if i knew how
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

10th Jan 07 at 13:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The problem being they will still break in to try to steal it, and obviously won't know how well it is secured until they try.

From my experience of working at Halfords, we get quite a few customers coming in with very badly damaged dashboards, as if they cant get the unit out they try to wreck the surrounding area with their screwdriver instead.

New Poll