corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Run-in period?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Run-in period?
jamesvalver

User status: Offline
24th Feb 07 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when my new engine is built, what should the run in period be?
ive heard manythings like 1000-1500miles keeping it under 3500rpm and also to let it idle for 20mins once in the car, then change the oil, then drive it normally.

can anyone shed ne more info on this for me please?
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

24th Feb 07 at 23:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just had mine rebuilt

did 500 miles under 3500 rpm
oil change and check up
500 miles under 3500 rpm

drive as normal
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

25th Feb 07 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get the engine running on MINERAL OIL or bedding in oil first for about an hour or so, check for leaks of coolant or oil etc...

drop this oil and inspect it for any swarf.

refill with mineral oil and new filter and run for about 500 miles at varying revs up to 3/4000 rpm gradually increasing the revs.

drop oil and check for swarf etc

do the same again gradually incresing the revs up to the limiter over the next 500 miles. then refill with good quality oil and change the coolant.

jamesvalver

25th Feb 07 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers dave!
Corsa Phil 666

25th Feb 07 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll second what Dave A Said!
Robin
Premium Member

25th Feb 07 at 18:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't want it sat idling TBH.
ed

25th Feb 07 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You want to get it revving and let some air run through the rad... Keep the coolent flowing
Adam-D

25th Feb 07 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why mineral oil?
what grade?
STEvieXE

25th Feb 07 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think theres different schools of thought on the idleing issue.

my mechanic and engine builder both said the longer i respect it and treat it the better itll be in the long run and to drive it easy for as long as possible.

again as said above use a mineral oil, cant mind the grade thats in it maybe 10w50??

get it set up properly

Robin
Premium Member

25th Feb 07 at 23:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a well known fact that if you run the engine in HARD, it will make more power, but not last as long. Bike tuners/race teams do it, out of the crate, on the dyno, revving it hard and to the limiter to run it in.

If you take it slowly, the engine will make a little less power (only a little on a standard ish car) and last a fair bit longer.

BUT, I still wouldn't want it idling and with not much oil pressure while the parts wear in...
J100RSA

25th Feb 07 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just general driving no long periods of motorway tho or idling mine will be getting driven hard from day 1 but as dave says a good quality running in oil or mineral oil then either semi or fully sythetic oil after change

New Poll