corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Getting website at the top of google?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Getting website at the top of google?
dan_almond

User status: Offline
   14th Jun 07 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How on earth do i get my website to the first page of google. My web addy is www.polish-it.uk.com and is a car detailing business i run. Ive got loads of meta tags like valeting, salisbury, wiltshire etc, but if i type in polish-it uk in to google, mine doesnt come up.

Ive had calls from companies saying if i pay £250 a year they can guarantee my site come up 1st if people type in some of my metatags?

Surely theres people out there who can do this sort of thing for free isnt there?

What can i do?
Cosmo

14th Jun 07 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no longer just works on metatags, takes into account how many pages your site is linked on, number of times your keywords are used in text, quality of website (i.e. not all made up of images, etc), how old the site is. Loads and loads of stuff.

You'd be best paying for advertising in other places local to you than concentrating on getting up there on Google, would be a wiser investment of the money.
dan_almond

14th Jun 07 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True mate. But if say someone types in car valting/detailing in salisbury i would like mine to come up? (which it doesnt at the moment)
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Jun 07 at 13:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use Adwords.
dan_almond

14th Jun 07 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats that?
Cosmo

14th Jun 07 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dan_almond
True mate. But if say someone types in car valting/detailing in salisbury i would like mine to come up? (which it doesnt at the moment)

Yeah, its all fine if your doing it for free (in which case search for Search English Optimisation tip on google....its a never ending battle!) but if you pay then you'd be much better off advertising on local websites or around your local areas.
Brett
Premium Member

14th Jun 07 at 13:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Google Bombing
AndyKent

14th Jun 07 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH, its not worth trying to get to the top of google.

You'd be far better advertising in the yellow pages/local directory etc. as said.
Brett
Premium Member

14th Jun 07 at 14:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed. If I was looking for someone local I would look at the yellow pages as opposed to searching on the internet.
dan_almond

14th Jun 07 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks people
Steve
Premium Member

14th Jun 07 at 15:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont you think everyone wants there site to be top of google?

if it were easy as that everyones site would be top of google, it doesnt work like it takes time, and your site has to grow in popularity, and google also has to like it based on its algorithm it uses
Bart

14th Jun 07 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best advice is:

-Update your site as often as possible (weekly/monthly).
-Make sure you meta words are on your main pages as much as possible
Add your best search term to your page name (exmaple, search for control panel manufacturers and you get us, bridges at the top).
-try and find some other relevant companies willing to swap links to/from your website (check their page ranking using the google toolbar), 2 or above is good PR.

thats pretty much all basic stuff.
Also, you can sign up for Google Sitemaps (used for monitoring your website searches, errors etc and Google analytics used for viewing visitor info, hits, locations etc.

both of the above are very powerful tools and highly recommended.

New Poll