corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Capital Gains Tax and investments

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Capital Gains Tax and investments
JJ

User status: Offline
4th Aug 07 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need some advice...

Recently sold some property and I will have to pay capital gains on it... Thing is I want to buy another house and will be living in it with the wife so If I invest the money I made in this house from the property I sold will it lessen the CGT I will have to pay????

Cosmo

4th Aug 07 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you sold a house you have never lived in or one which you've recently been in?
Robbo

4th Aug 07 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ill Double check but u shud b able to claim rollover relief and therefore not hav to pay yet. Who previously lived there mate?
JJ

4th Aug 07 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a building that had a shop in it, The people that had the shop retired and i sold the building to a developer.
JJ

4th Aug 07 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I also owned the building outright when i sold it.
GT4Brody

5th Aug 07 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think there is some rule with houses, that you have to live in them for year to avoid capital gains, not sure about commercial premises...
Robbo

5th Aug 07 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a LOT more complicated than that

I'll try and explain it as best I can but this is very simplistic

Basically, any house u own and live in is classed as ur principal private residwence (PPR)... provided u spend the majority of ur time over a 10 yr period (again, not a ssimpel as that) then u dont pay CGT on that property

Any property u own but dont live in is not classed as PPR and hecne will be liable to CGT BUT provided, as Justin wants to do, u re-invest a certain amount of the proceeds ina new asset then CGT can be 'rolled over' and hence liable at a future date. However, u r going to be using the proceeds for what will become ur PPR so therefore, the gain shouldnt really ever be payable.

It will be well worth your while speakign to an tax advisor tho mate as this is a very sketchy and complex area, but thats the basics

[Edited on 05-08-2007 by Robbo]
Cosmo

6th Aug 07 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not sure if its going to count when buying a PPR with the money, as otherwise people would just invest in property (and any other ventures for that matter) then buy one single (possibly expensive) PPR to live in for a while with any proceeds when you sell up and never pay any CGT.

Would save people millions if it was possible though!!
JJ

6th Aug 07 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Robbo, Booked an appointment with Mr Tax advisor.

Robbo

6th Aug 07 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Im not sure if its going to count when buying a PPR with the money, as otherwise people would just invest in property (and any other ventures for that matter) then buy one single (possibly expensive) PPR to live in for a while with any proceeds when you sell up and never pay any CGT.

Would save people millions if it was possible though!!
Your quite right mate, its a minefield hence the suggestion that a tax adviser be the best bet 9y)

Np Jus mate

New Poll