corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » defragment

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author defragment
Mo

User status: Offline
9th Oct 07 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should u defragment your pc or not?

heard stories from both sides
Doug

9th Oct 07 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah why not, go crazy.
Deadude

9th Oct 07 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah just leave it on overnight or something
drax

9th Oct 07 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Diskeeper
richardworrall
Premium Member

9th Oct 07 at 20:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drax
Diskeeper

what he said.
Mo

9th Oct 07 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

diskeeper? whats that?
Tim
Site Administrator

9th Oct 07 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's the full blown version of the defragmenter bundled with Windows. Has some nice features such as defrag scheduling, etc...

I'd be interested to know the "stories from both sides" -- file-system fragmentation is never a good thing
Dom

9th Oct 07 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Perfectdisk - is one pass defrager, Diskeeper is a multi-pass defrager. Thats the basic outline of the two main defraging software out there.

A decent thread > HERE < about both defragers, with engineers from both camps replying.

But yea, you should degfrag - how often really depends on how much you thrash your drive. If you give your drives a good beating day in day out (video editing etc) then once a month is ideal. Otherwise, once every 3 months (if that) is probably ok if you're just browsing and email surfing etc

Only bad stories i've heard with defraging is during the pre-XP days with drives randomly dying during a defrag, or with raid 0/1 setups with it causing problems with the array. But not so much now

[Edited on 09-10-2007 by Dom]
Mo

9th Oct 07 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i don't really thrash my dive. just some photo editting, surfing and general office applications.

stories from both side would include HDD going a bit AWOL on the other hand files are put in order
drax

9th Oct 07 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

De fragmentation will speed up the use of your drive, stop hard disk thrashing, index's your files, you can align large chunks of data in certain order to gain more performance from the hard drive, reducing the time it takes to write, rewrite and relocate files.

Do it, the only people that will suffer from using defraging are those with hard drives already on their way out.
Jules

10th Oct 07 at 07:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use Diskeeper and it takes seconds - I'm never convinced that it's actually done anything - or maybe I'm being a retard and doing it wrong!
Either way, meh
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

10th Oct 07 at 07:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fine just don't go doing it to often.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car

New Poll