corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Headgasket

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Headgasket
Graham88

User status: Offline
24th Jan 08 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought my headgasket had gone on my new engine, but now I'm not so sure...

When it was first started obviously the engine could have been lying around for months, and there was only a very thin layer of mayonnaise on the oil cap, but after wiping this off and going for a 20 mile run (with no problems, no white smoke or anything) it hasn't appeared back, which tells me there was just a small amount of moisture in the engine somewhere and that was it just being burnt off.

The other thing that indicated headgasket at the time, was that it boiled over at about 93 degrees or so after a short amount of time. If you put heaters on it would be ok, as it's keeping engine temperatures down obviously.

Well today, I went for a 20 mile run, 10 miles with heaters blasting (no problems, engine temperature at 88 degrees) and then on the way back I turned them from 4 down to 1 and it crept up to 90 degrees which is normal. When I got back I let it idle whilst doing other stuff, and it took 10 minutes for it to start boiling over, but the thing is that happened on my old engine too?

Local garage said they don't think it's headgasket as there is no oil smells coming from header tank or blowers, and no mayo on the oil cap. He said he reckons there might be a blockage in the rad, so might be best to get it out and clean it out, or it could be a sticky thermostat where it's been sitting.

Sorry for the long post but I thought I'd best explain everything completely. Thanks
Warren G

24th Jan 08 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they boil over normaly on corsa's

if its not getting hot, then dont worry!
Graham88

24th Jan 08 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well that makes me feel better already, going to go for a drive later on with no heaters. Fingers crossed it just needed a run to clear everything.
luke85

24th Jan 08 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesnt sound like a headgasket problem, when you say it boils over what exactly do you mean? does the pressure relief valve in the cap open?
Graham88

24th Jan 08 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, steaming out the top.

The header tank just slowly fills up and water comes through what I assume is an overflow pipe that connects to the top half of the rad.
Simon_16v

24th Jan 08 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be a blocked radiator then. I dont know what you use to remove the obstruction though
luke85

24th Jan 08 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe try a different cap? there is meant to be pressure in the system, thats what keeps it from boiling. when does it boil over and does your rad fan come on?

The pipe from the rad to the headertank is to keep bleeding air out of the system
Graham88

24th Jan 08 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SRi_Si
Could be a blocked radiator then. I dont know what you use to remove the obstruction though

That's what the garage said. They said something about rad clean? Or just sticking a hosepipe in and wiggling it around to get shit out. Probably easier if removed.

quote:
Originally posted by luke85
Maybe try a different cap? there is meant to be pressure in the system, thats what keeps it from boiling. when does it boil over and does your rad fan come on?

The pipe from the rad to the headertank is to keep bleeding air out of the system

But the cap is working as it's meant to? It's meant to let some pressure out, is it not?

It boils over about 93-94 degrees, fan doesn't kick in until about 95-97 usually.

So if it to bleed air out, why is there water coming out of it?
deano87

24th Jan 08 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definitely not headgasket by the sounds of it.

If your headgasket had truly gone, it'd be using water, consuming oil, it'd be like whipped cream under the oil filler cap and you won't have warm air coming through the blowers/heaters because the warm water was reaching the pipes etc.

Sounds like a blockage. My temps generally sit around the 90-93 mark. And it heats up very quickly indeed, to about 97, when the fan kicks in.
luke85

24th Jan 08 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The air should flow from the top of the rad back to the top of the header tank but lets not worry about that

The cap is not meant to let pressure out, no. Its meant to let the system get up to pressure and open if the pressure gets too high, engine temps of 130+ are needed to make it open.
The pressure in the system is what stops the water boiling, with no pressure, water boils at 100 degrees. When its under pressure it boils at a much higher temperature.
If your water is boiling in the cooling system at such a low temperature then you have a leak, showing its self as steam from the cap
Or a large air lock in the system making some parts of the engine extremely hot and boiling the water that way

edit: I cant spell

[Edited on 24-01-2008 by luke85]

[Edited on 24-01-2008 by luke85]
Warren G

24th Jan 08 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry thought you meant without the cap on

no it shouldn't boil over
Richardhhha

24th Jan 08 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what did the engine come out off and go and grab a coolant cap of one of them cars.

also you most probably do ahve a air lock in teh rad or block, i found best way was to get it warm have all the fans on and heater on full hot, wait till it reached time for the coolant fan to cick in, turn the car off let it cool, open coolant bottle then run car till warm again.

if that dont solve it you will most prolly be looking at a thermostat or rad blocked, but if a rads blocked it would have blown a hose by now wouldnt it?
luke85

24th Jan 08 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just the thing that makes me say its not a blocked rad is that it sits at normal temperature, its just boiling too soon
Richardhhha

24th Jan 08 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

put a new thermosts in it and change the coolant bottle cap.. should be all ok then
Graham88

25th Jan 08 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richardhhha
what did the engine come out off and go and grab a coolant cap of one of them cars.

Same engine as before mate.

I think I'll probably flush the system, and get the rad off and shake it about etc, if that doesn't work I'll need to have a go at the thermostat. I'll leave that till last as that's a mission!

New Poll