corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Weird noise - whirling? Audio files uploaded

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Weird noise - whirling? Audio files uploaded
Rab

User status: Offline
15th Apr 08 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Noise from inside car

Noise from outside car

When playing inside, you will probably need to turn speakers up, but for outside you will need to turn them back down, since its quite a bit louder.

You can probably hear it best when the engine is idle on the outside of car file.

My car has been making this whirling noise for a few months now, getting progressivly worse. It gets louder at higher revs.

Whats been done / checked so far:

- New timing belt kit
- New Power Steering Pump
- Auxiliary belt been off: noise goes away
- Swapped alternator with a tigra one - noise still there
- Roller and Tensioners checked

Just now the garage thinks its going to be the air con pump. But this would be an all day job for the garage, and its not even 100% if that is the problem. All day job being totally removing the air con, as getting a new one would be even more expencive - and its not even something I use.

So what I was wondering was, is there anything else it could be, before I go get alot of money thrown onto the Air Con removal. Or any other cheaper way to get rid of the noise if it is the air con, rather than stripping it all out.

Cheers
luke85

15th Apr 08 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With the noise going away with the auxillery belt of then that narrows it down a lot.youve changed the power steering pump and alternator so that only leaves the air con pump or the tensioner pulley.

If i was you then Id swap the tensioner because its not a big job then that just leaves the air con pump and you can be fairly sure its that
Rab

16th Apr 08 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im pretty sure the tensioner(s) were checked. Going to phone him now and book in for the air con. Hope its not going to skin me too much lol

Cheers for the reply
luke85

16th Apr 08 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive never had a corsa with air con but I wouldnt have thought you need a new pump, they will bend you over if then sell you one of those. There is normally a mechanism on the end of the compressor shaft that engages and disengages as you turn the air con on and off so your not spinning the pump all the time. If it makes the noise when the air con isnt on then the pump shouldnt be turning anyway so it might be the clutch mechanism

[Edited on 16-04-2008 by luke85]
Rab

16th Apr 08 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Booked in for next tuesday just to take all the air con out, so its one less thing that can break I suppose lol.
Rab

22nd Apr 08 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just for anyone’s reference, looking back on this as a search etc, it was the Air Con, was removed... noise away =)

New Poll